I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 22:55 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 23:08:59 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11
  Print  
Author Topic: Crystal ball - will coronavirus effect our travel (public and private)?  (Read 19066 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2020, 19:05:14 »

Which is why one uses an antibacterial essential oil too.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2020, 23:33:29 »

I have counted my toilet rolls and confirm that I have 221 rolls. 2 large cartons each containing 108 rolls, and 13 loose rolls.
1 carton of 108 rolls lasts very roughly a year. I re-order when down to roughly one carton.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2020, 23:44:18 »

I have counted my toilet rolls and confirm that I have 221 rolls. 2 large cartons each containing 108 rolls, and 13 loose rolls.
1 carton of 108 rolls lasts very roughly a year. I re-order when down to roughly one carton.

Crikey. Prepared for a nuclear winter with that lot, not just Covid-19.

Or, a particularly bad case of gastroenteritis.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2020, 09:23:26 »

It's Coronavirus (a bad cold - not 'flu) not Norovirus - you've stocked up for the wrong one!

Having had Norovirus on a cruise, I can tell you that you've forgotten to pack a good pair of running shoes....

OTC
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2020, 09:32:41 »

Alcohol based hand sanitisers usually contain about 70% alcohol, popular brands of vodka are 37.5% or 40% and may therefore be less effective.

A leading doctor on telly said that to be effective, the mixture has to be a minimum of 60% alcohol. That rules out all drinks bar certain eastern europen concoctions, that Arak I drank by sort of accident in Israel (believing the Islamic population was completely teetotal) and Absinthe, none of which I shall wash my hands with.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 13:51:29 by TonyK » Logged

Now, please!
Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2020, 11:03:37 »

Do you not wait for the Buy One Get One Free offer? BOGOF in more ways than one.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2020, 13:33:56 »

Do you not wait for the Buy One Get One Free offer? BOGOF in more ways than one.

Bulk buying from trade suppliers that primarily supply institutions is generally cheaper than buying from supermarkets. Also more convenient as one large carton is far easier to store and handle than loads of smaller packages.

Other purchases are from a supermarket home delivery service. I think nothing of purchasing relatively large volumes when prices are attractive.
As an example I enjoy a certain brand of chocolate biscuit, but try to limit myself to two packs a week. Some people would buy two packs each week, but I think nothing of purchasing a dozen or twenty packs when reduced in price. These often last until the product is next reduced in price.
Similar arguments apply to most non perishables.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2020, 14:05:39 »

Anyway...
The official advice seems to be keep calm and carry on, but always wash your hands before picking your nose.

Now, please!
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2020, 15:15:25 »

Anyway...
The official advice seems to be keep calm and carry on, but always wash your hands before picking your nose.

And afterwards surely  Grin

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2020, 13:37:29 »

The irony is that when people stockpile hand sanitizers, they are stopping loads of other people from using them which ends up exposing the very people doing the stock-piling to more risk.

If anyone is concerned by the scarcity of alcohol based hand sanitiser and the often inflated prices of remaining stocks, it is easy enough to make your own.

One suggested formulation is as follows.

Isopropyl alcohol-----------------------75%
Hydrogen peroxide solution-------------4%
Glycerine---------------------------------1.5%
Purified water to 100%

The isopropyl alcohol should be virtually pure, not the formulation already diluted with water.
The hydrogen peroxide presumes use of a solution containing 3% of the active ingredient, other concentrations may be used if the volume used is adjusted accordingly. The purpose of the peroxide is to kill anything in the original ingredients.
The glycerine should be of cosmetic or food grade, its purpose is to prevent excessive drying of the skin.
The water should preferably be distilled or de-ionised, but boiled tap water may be used, if of drinking quality.

If only "rubbing alcohol" is available which consists of 70% isopropyl alcohol and 30% water, then this may be used but is not ideal. Add about 2% glycerine. Add no water to rubbing alcohol.

Isopropyl alcohol, glycerine, and hydrogen peroxide are all readily available on line.
The isopropyl alcohol and the glycerine store almost indefinitely in sealed containers, but the hydrogen peroxide spoils in storage.

Edit to add, the above was true when posted, but isopropyl alcohol is now in short supply and very expensive when located.
Ethanol is an alternative but requires a slightly different mix, details a few posts down

TAKE CARE isopropyl alcohol is very flammable, and when diluted as described is still somewhat flammable. Best handled outdoors.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 09:42:53 by broadgage » Logged

TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2020, 13:53:57 »

Isopropyl alcohol, glycerine, and hydrogen peroxide are all readily available on line.

Isn't hydrogen peroxide useful in the manufacture of improvised explosives? I thought that would be a little harder to come by of late.

Now, please!
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2020, 14:05:06 »

Yes, hydrogen peroxide can be used in improvised explosive manufacture.
It has so many legitimate uses that it is hard to control or restrict sales.
A search on fleabay will reveal numerous suppliers.

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2020, 17:24:25 »

Isn't hydrogen peroxide useful in the manufacture of improvised explosives? I thought that would be a little harder to come by of late.
Hence 'peroxide blonde bombshell'.  Cheesy

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2020, 19:30:25 »

If anyone wishes to make their own hand sanitising mixture, the isopropyl alcohol to which I refered a few posts back, is now in short supply and has trebled in price.

An alternative formulation uses ethanol, which is widely sold as a fuel. A slightly larger percentage is required. One suggested formulation is as follows,

Ethanol------------------ 83%
Hydrogen peroxide-------4%
Glycerine------------------1.5%
Purified water-----------to make 100%

The ethanol should be of the approx 98% pure grade that is widely sold as fuel. Avoid ethanol motor fuel as it contains a small percentage of petrol.
The hydrogen peroxide presumes use of a solution containing 3% active ingredient, other concentrations may be used if the amount used is adjusted accordingly.
The glycerine should be of cosmetic or food grade.
Distilled or deionised water is preferred, but boiled and cooled tap water may be used if fit for drinking.

TAKE CARE the pure ethanol is highly flammable, and is still somewhat flammable after dilution. Preparation best done outdoors. store in sealed containers.

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2020, 07:32:56 »

For Heaven's sake - SOAP AND WATER!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11
  Print  

Jump to: