Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
07:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:24 Exmouth to Paignton
07:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
07:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:41 Westbury to Bristol Temple Meads
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 08:20:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11
  Print  
Author Topic: Crystal ball - will coronavirus effect our travel (public and private)?  (Read 19073 times)
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 10, 2020, 22:11:11 »

SNCF (Societe Nationale des Chemins de fer Francais - French National Railways) tickets are already pretty flexible, but now they are saying that for any date up to 31st April you can rebook or cancel for a full refund.

Vive la difference! I assume there will be double time for working on this new public holiday?

Now, please!
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 10, 2020, 22:46:31 »

Google has many results detailing why you shouldn't make your own hand sanitiser.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=don%27t+make+your+own+sanitiser

I'm carrying around my shop bought one which I bought a few months ago anticipating it would last me a year. I now expect it to last a few weeks. If they don't come back onto the shelves soon then I may consider packing a bar of soap and bottled water in my bag if I can't find a wash basin out and about.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 11, 2020, 00:17:04 »

Making your own hand sanitiser is not that hard ! all that is required is the correct ingredients and careful measurement to ensure that these are mixed in the correct proportions.
And MINOR errors don't matter that much.
Ready made products often contain a bit less alcohol than is desirable, because water is cheaper than alcohol.
The better formulations such as those that I previously suggested contain a bit more than the minimum alcohol so as to give a margin for MINOR errors in measurement, or for the alcohol being SLIGHTLY less concentrated than claimed by the supplier.

I anyone is doubtful, I would assure you that clinics and hospitals in developing countries DO use hand sanitiser, and that they DONT import it in small, pretty, and expensive bottles from Europe.
It is made on site, from locally sourced ingredients, in the clinic pharmacy, with facilities only slightly more sophisticated than most of us have at home.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Marlburian

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 11, 2020, 08:10:42 »

If Coronavirus does spread among railway employees, leading to more staff shortages, it's going to be very difficult to assess the performance of rail companies using the normal criteria. Could be a knock-on effect on compensation for delays and cancellations.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 11, 2020, 09:02:56 »

SNCF (Societe Nationale des Chemins de fer Francais - French National Railways) tickets are already pretty flexible, but now they are saying that for any date up to 31st April you can rebook or cancel for a full refund.

Vive la difference! I assume there will be double time for working on this new public holiday?

I suspect that come the end of April, exactly how many days it had (as determined by astronomical observation) is not going to matter a lot to Air France, their customers, or the rest of us. Nor will the French be so intent on their usual habit during May - trying to get as many days off as possible (due to be "only" four this year, Pentecost being on June 1st).
Wizard

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 11, 2020, 09:08:10 »

If Coronavirus does spread among railway employees, leading to more staff shortages, it's going to be very difficult to assess the performance of rail companies using the normal criteria. Could be a knock-on effect on compensation for delays and cancellations.

I’m surprised that this doesn’t appear to have happened yet. With guards and customer hosts spending so much time in the saloons with passengers, and then coming into close proximity in messrooms with everybody else I’d have thought this would have started happening by now. But I’m not aware of anybody in this situation just yet. Thankfully.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 11, 2020, 23:10:48 »

I see hundreds of 'ghost flights' are still operating to avoid losing slots at the airports:  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51809318

Airlines have requested a moratorium on those "use it or lose it" rules. At least, some have, but from whom? No doubt the same issue of who decides and how widely does it apply comes in here too - but maybe dire necessity will bear some inventive decisiveness in one or bath cases!

European Commission - Statement

Commission proposes measures to ease impact of the COVID-19 outbreak on the aviation industry and the environment Brussels, 10 March 2020

The COVID-19 outbreak is having a major impact on the international and European aviation industry. The situation is deteriorating on a daily basis. Traffic is expected to decline further in the coming weeks.

In order to help ease the impact of the outbreak, the European Commission will put forward targeted legislation to temporarily alleviate airlines from their airport slot usage obligations under EU» (European Union - about) law.

This measure will help both the European industry and the environment. It releases pressure on the whole aviation industry and in particular on smaller airlines. It also decreases emissions by avoiding so-called ‘ghost flights' where airlines fly almost empty aircraft to keep their slots.

Commissioner for Transport Adina Vălean said: “The temporary measure will allow airlines to adjust their capacity in view of the falling demand caused by the outbreak. Without such a measure, airlines would have to continue to operate flights, even if largely empty, to guarantee their current slots at EU airports, with a negative impact – both economic and environmental. Given the urgency, the Commission will in due course present a legislative proposal and calls on the European Parliament and the Council to swiftly adopt this measure in co-decision procedure.”

Next steps:
The Commission will shortly adopt a proposal to amend the EU Slot Regulation. This amendment will then need to be approved by the European Parliament and the Council of the EU.

Background: An airport slot is the right of an aircraft to take off or land at a congested airport at a certain time of day. Under the EU Airport Slots Regulation (EEC 95/93), airlines are subject to a ‘use it or lose it' rule, and are required to operate 80% of their allocated slots, or face losing their right to the slot in future seasons.
STATEMENT/20/431
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 12, 2020, 10:22:57 »

How does flying an aircraft empty rather than loaded have "an environmental impact" then?
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 12, 2020, 12:41:54 »

How does flying an aircraft empty rather than loaded have "an environmental impact" then?

I don't think it quite says that, but it is simultaneously and confusingly dealing with both environmental and economic impacts. Not having passengers has an economic impact on airlines, and having to fly the planes anyway adds to that. Flying empty planes has a double-negative environmental impact, i.e. it removes the (fortuitous) advantage of not flying them.

I'm surprised they can't rustle up an excuse for doing this as an emergency measure without having to rush out a quickie directive (or regulation). How about saying that if passengers travelling would be a health risk, then even the crew present a small (probably tiny) risk too?
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 12, 2020, 13:51:31 »

I don't think it quite says that, but it is simultaneously and confusingly dealing with both environmental and economic impacts. Not having passengers has an economic impact on airlines, and having to fly the planes anyway adds to that. Flying empty planes has a double-negative environmental impact, i.e. it removes the (fortuitous) advantage of not flying them.

I'm surprised they can't rustle up an excuse for doing this as an emergency measure without having to rush out a quickie directive (or regulation). How about saying that if passengers travelling would be a health risk, then even the crew present a small (probably tiny) risk too?

I don't normally have to challenge your postings STUVING but......

.....airlines would have to continue to operate flights, even if largely empty, to guarantee their current slots at EU» (European Union - about) airports, with a negative impact both economic and environmental. 
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 12, 2020, 14:25:16 »

I don't normally have to challenge your postings STUVING but......

.....airlines would have to continue to operate flights, even if largely empty, to guarantee their current slots at EU» (European Union - about) airports, with a negative impact both economic and environmental. 

But that's the impact of flying empty planes rather than not flying them, surely? No passengers either way.
Marlburian

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 12, 2020, 14:37:09 »

A friend of mine travels by train between a South Coast town and Torquay a few times a year and books her tickets in advance on-line. Chatting to her today, she told me a bit of a long tale about trying to get a refund at her South Coast station for a ticket she'd bought last month. She hadn't got very far on-line in seeing if she could get a refund.

The guy at the station was "lovely" and very helpful and even spent time discussing with her the most economical advance ticket for travel next month. He said that in the present situation "they" were being very flexible about cancellation fees and refunds.

(I'm not naming the station lest he was being a bit too forthcoming.)
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 12, 2020, 15:26:44 »

All human activity (eg exhaling) requires emission of global warming gases.

We have to decide how to ration this based on the value of the activity. Business and leisure activities made possible by flying may have utility - empty aircraft flying to tick bureaucratic boxes don't.

Perhaps the wording should have been, "an avoidable environmental impact".

Absolute sustainability is not possible in this world - entropy must increase.

OTC
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 12, 2020, 17:12:34 »

Absolute sustainability is not possible in this world - entropy must increase.

Entropy can decrease, but only with an input of energy into the Earth System - mainly solar at surface and thermonuclear decay at depth
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 12, 2020, 20:45:49 »

Entropy can decrease, but only with an input of energy into the Earth System - mainly solar at surface and thermonuclear decay at depth

I used to try to explain it to students by pointing out that they could spend all weekend tidying (ie increasing order reducing entropy) their flat. By Sunday pm they were worn out but there were just the same contents.They would be looking forward to going back to work for a rest. By Friday it would be as untidy again.

The modern term for the balance between energy and order is of course Exergy - which is destroyed in natural events.

OTC
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11
  Print  

Jump to: