21:02 Oxford to London Paddington
Short Run
15:50 Penzance to Gloucester
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 20:17:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[333] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[69] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[53] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[30] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[28] Signage - not making it easy ...
[6] IETs at Melksham

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: FlyBe - gone into administration  (Read 15111 times)
MVR S&T
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: March 04, 2020, 23:51:06 »

looks like the end for FlyBe then?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51746564

website down too.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 10:59:05 by TonyK » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2020, 08:35:49 »

looks like the end for FlyBe then?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51746564

website down too.

From @GWRHelp on Twitter
We’re sorry to hear about the collapse of  @flybe. We’d like to help those affected by allowing them free travel today on any @firstgroupplc train, by producing evidence of their Flybe booking. This includes  @GWRHelp, @AvantiWestCoast, @SW_Railway & @Hull_Trains. #Flybecollapse

And from @SOU_Airport
Replying to @PaulCliftonBBC Hi Paul, it's devastating for its passengers and staff. We're already speaking to other airlines about taking on its routes. Our advice to passengers due to travel with Flybe is not to travel to the airport and to visit the CAA» (Civil Aviation Authority - about)’s website for advice http://www.caa.co.uk/news

and from that CAA link:

Flybe, which operated regional services from airports across the United Kingdom, has entered administration.

All Flybe flights, and those operated by Stobart Air, are cancelled. Therefore, please do not go to the airport as your flight will not be operating.

Flybe customers are therefore urged to make their own alternative travel arrangements via other airlines, rail or coach operators.

For flights operated by Flybe franchise partners (Eastern Airways, and Blue Islands) passengers should make contact with that airline to confirm your travel arrangements.

The UK (United Kingdom) Civil Aviation Authority will provide advice and information to consumers, so please check our website and Twitter feed @UK_CAA for more information.

Commenting, Richard Moriarty Chief Executive at the UK Civil Aviation Authority, said: “This is a sad day for UK aviation and we know that Flybe's decision to stop trading will be very distressing for all of its employees and customers.

“We urge passengers planning to fly with this airline not to go to the airport as all Flybe flights are cancelled.  For the latest advice, Flybe customers should visit the CAA website or the CAA's Twitter feed for more information.

“Flybe also operated a number of codeshare partnerships with international airlines.  If you have an international ticket you should make contact with that airline to confirm your travel arrangements.”

Booked flight with credit or debit card

If you booked directly with Flybe and paid by credit card you may be protected under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 and should contact your card issuer for further information.  Similarly, if you paid by debit or charge card you should contact your card issuer for advice as you may be able to make a claim under their charge back rules.

If you purchased travel insurance that includes cover for scheduled airline failure, known as SAFI, you should contact your insurer. If you did not book directly with Flybe and purchased your tickets through a third party, you should contact your booking or travel agent in the first instance.

Negative response letter

Passengers who booked directly with the company via either a credit, charge or debit card may alternatively be able to make a claim through their card provider. Some card providers will ask for a negative response letter confirming the position. Passengers may also be able to make a claim against their travel insurer.  (This letter will be published on this page shortly) 

Direct booking with an airline

If you paid the airline directly by credit card you might be protected by Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. You should check with your card issuer for further advice. You may have similar cover if you paid by Visa debit card and should check with your bank.

Booked through an Airline Ticket Agent

If you booked your ticket through an airline ticket agent you should speak to the agent in the first instance; they may have provided travel insurance that includes Scheduled Airline Failure cover.

Scheduled Airline Failure Insurance (SAFI)

Some airlines and airline ticket agents will offer customers either a specific Scheduled Airline Failure Insurance (SAFI) policy or include similar protection within a broader travel insurance product. The type of protection provided may vary depending on the type of policy taken out. A policy may simply cover the cost of the original tickets purchased or any unused portion, or the additional cost of purchasing new flights, such as new tickets for travel back to the UK.

Booked with an ATOL holder (Package Holiday)

If you have booked a trip that includes flights and hotels with a travel firm that holds an ATOL (Air Travel Organiser's Licence) and received confirmation that you are ATOL protected, the travel firm is responsible for your flight arrangements and must either make alternative flights available for you so that your trip can continue or provide a full refund. If you are abroad, it should make arrangements to bring you home at the end of your trip. Contact the ATOL travel firm for more information.

Notes to editors

The Civil Aviation Authority believes that very few Flybe passengers are ATOL protected and those people should make arrangements through their travel agent, who are responsible for providing alternative arrangements. The government has not commissioned the CAA to organise any repatriation flights as there is capacity in the market for people to travel via alternative airlines, rail and coach operations.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 10:59:22 by TonyK » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2020, 08:52:12 »

Excellent offer of free travel for Flybe ticket holders from First Group TOCs (Train Operating Company).

https://twitter.com/GWRHelp/status/1235483794335031296?s=19

EDIT: Ah, I see grahame quoted a similar tweet. As you were.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 10:59:37 by TonyK » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2020, 09:05:58 »

I know that air travel isn’t everyone’s thing on this forum but a sad day nonetheless. Thoughts with passengers and staff at this difficult time.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2020, 09:33:57 »

Wrong airline!  It is FlyBMI that has gone into Administration

Right second time.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 10:59:51 by TonyK » Logged

Now, please!
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2020, 10:19:39 »

Excellent offer of free travel for Flybe ticket holders from First Group TOCs (Train Operating Company).

https://twitter.com/GWRHelp/status/1235483794335031296?s=19

EDIT: Ah, I see grahame quoted a similar tweet. As you were.

LNER» (London North Eastern Railway - about) allowing travel too - and their offer includes former airline staff as well.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 11:00:09 by TonyK » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2020, 10:32:24 »

Wrong airline!  It is FlyBMI that has gone into Administration

Right second time.

This thread is a mess!  FlyBMI and now FlyBE ... I will see if I can tidy up subject lines!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 11:00:27 by TonyK » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2020, 10:33:50 »

This thread is a mess!  FlyBMI and now FlyBE ... I will see if I can tidy up subject lines!

I might have just done that while you were posting, grahame! I have split the developing conversation about FlyBe from the thread relating to the collapse of Flybmi.

To avoid any further confusion:

FlyBe was the descendant airline of Jersey European Airways, and was based in Exeter. It was renamed British European in 2000, then FlyBe in 2002. It was sold to Connect Airways, a consortium backed by Virgin Atlantic and Stobart Aviation, in February 2019. It entered administration on 4 March 2020.

Flybmi was the descendant airline of British Midland International, and was legally known as British Midland Regional Ltd. It was purchased from Lufthansa iwho owned British Midland International, of which Flybmi was a subsidiary, in 2012. In 2015, it became part of a new group, Airline Investments Ltd, along with Loganair. It entered administration on 16 February 2019.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 11:00:48 by TonyK » Logged

Now, please!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2020, 10:34:53 »

I might have just done that while you were posting, grahame!

You have done, thanks!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 11:01:02 by TonyK » Logged

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2020, 13:20:28 »

Whilst I am sorry for those thrown out of work, and those whose travel plans have been disrupted, taking the wider view the failure of another airline is good news for the environment.
If we are serious about the climate emergency, we need to fly less and not more. Air travel is very carbon intensive and likely to remain so.

Hopefully some people will now fly less, making use of rail instead, or even staying in one place.

Some of the routes formerly operated by Flybe will presumably be taken over by competitors, but others may close permanently. Those who flew infrequently may have to accept the extra time taken by rail.
Those who flew frequently might have to review their location and business affairs so as to reduce the need for such frequent long distance travel.

Despite my misgivings about some recent changes, I am pro-rail. The rail industry does IMO (in my opinion) need to improve its long distance offerings, not just in terms of journey quality, but also in terms of what through services are available.
Time perhaps to consider a return of sleeper services between say the southwest and the north or Scotland.

Rail services involving changing are inherently less popular than through services.
A through train from say Plymouth to say York would be far more attractive than changing in London.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2020, 14:22:12 »

Why is it that information system break down when you most need them?

https://www.southamptonairport.com/departures-arrivals/ :

Departures & arrivals
Arrival and departure information is currently unavailable

TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2020, 14:36:24 »

Departures & arrivals

Back up and running, with a message about FlyBe not operating any more. There are no other flights to show. Southampton council was in the process of planning an extension to the runway to enable bigger airlines to operate, as EasyJet have said they want to start services from there. That has been put on hold, and there aren't many other operators of turboprop aircraft who could take over from Flybe.

Now, please!
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2020, 14:37:23 »

I think the graph from the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) article might give a good indication of why. 90% of all flights out of Southampton are affected.
old original
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2020, 14:53:36 »

I think the graph from the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) article might give a good indication of why. 90% of all flights out of Southampton are affected.

I see Newquay's missing. Should be between Belfast and the IOM @ 65%

8 Billion people on a wet rock - of course we're not happy
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2020, 17:00:31 »

Departures & arrivals

Back up and running, with a message about FlyBe not operating any more. There are no other flights to show. Southampton council was in the process of planning an extension to the runway to enable bigger airlines to operate, as EasyJet have said they want to start services from there. That has been put on hold, and there aren't many other operators of turboprop aircraft who could take over from Flybe.
Looks like Loganair are stepping in starting next week, at least for Edinburgh, Glasgow, Newcastle and maybe a couple more.  I wonder if they’ll use ex-FlyBe aeroplanes?

All routes that I used when I was still working, because you could basically get almost a full working day in and avoid a hotel stay.

Paul
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: