I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 00:35 29 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningShort Run
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 00:45:55 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: FlyBe - gone into administration  (Read 14798 times)
southwest
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2020, 19:14:33 »

Given that more Q400 operators don't need to go above FL250 as the flights are too short, hardly any if any airlines have taken it up.

Flybe didn't and were restricted to FL250, but some of their sectors were definitely not short (for a turboprop), eg, the likes of Southampton-Alicante at about 2hrs 45min. Saying that, due to the speed of the Q400, even these sectors were only about 15-20mins longer than they would be in a pure jet.

Out of interest, very few of the ex-Flybe aircraft have moved since the Company folded at the beginning of March. For example, I believe the 6 Q400's that landed at Southampton on that final evening are still there (although they are having engine runs on I think a weekly basis). One of the few that has moved was the one that ended-up at Heathrow that night, it was ferried to Exeter on 3rd April. Only a few others of their approx. 65 aircraft fleet have moved since.

That's not true, several aircraft have now flown to Maastricht mainly G-JEC(x) registrations.  G-PRPJ has moved to Weeze.  Flybe's training academy in Exeter was sold to Devon County Council a few weeks ago, Flybe Aviation Services was put up for sale at the end of May with several interested parties, and the administrators are trying to keep the AOC (Aeronautical operational control, ) for Flybe as they believe a sale of the company or at the very least it's assets(slots) is possible.

I don't know of any Q400 that flies about FL250, it's not worth the extra cost, Flybe didn't bother because the flights to Alicante we're only during the Summer, I'd imagine the service cannot have been that busy otherwise an E175 or E195 would have been placed on the route.
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2020, 20:01:58 »

That's not true

Really, I've been following this quite closely, and yes a few have gone to Maastricht, one to Oslo Torp (presumably to Wideroe's DHC8 maintenance hangar there?), and a few others, but I'd still say that most of the aircraft (including all of the EMB175's) are still where they ended-up at the beginning of March.

Yes, the Training Academy has been sold into the Public Sector, but reportedly for a fraction of what it cost Flybe to build it.
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2020, 20:32:45 »

The commercial reality is (I suspect) that the unfortunate bank or leasing company that owns them can negotiate a better deal with Southampton airport to keep these planes that are now without a leasing customer than paying for storage elsewhere in what must be the most difficult market for them for many years .
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2020, 08:56:23 »

The commercial reality is (I suspect) that the unfortunate bank or leasing company that owns them can negotiate a better deal with Southampton airport to keep these planes that are now without a leasing customer than paying for storage elsewhere in what must be the most difficult market for them for many years

You're probably right, but I suspect that SOU will want them gone once operations start to ramp up again. If you know SOU, space is very limited.
southwest
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2020, 00:18:03 »

Yes, the Training Academy has been sold into the Public Sector, but reportedly for a fraction of what it cost Flybe to build it.

Don't forget the building cost included fitting out the engineering workshop and setting up two flight simulators, DCC» (Devon County Council - website) have only bought the shell of the building. The government also provided funding for the training academy which is why Flybe never sold it as originally planned, as they would have to pay that government money back.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2020, 14:12:41 »

Don't forget the building cost included fitting out the engineering workshop and setting up two flight simulators, DCC» (Devon County Council - website) have only bought the shell of the building. The government also provided funding for the training academy which is why Flybe never sold it as originally planned, as they would have to pay that government money back.

Simulator time will be in demand, as pilots need to stay current. The Q400s will also prove popular soon, but not until paying customers can be put on them. Until then, best to leave them where they are, with somebody else paying to park and service them. Regular engine runs (and a few other things) are essential to keep surfaces clean and lubricated.

Now, please!
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2020, 14:32:52 »

A Flybe plane has been outside the arrivals/departures on the tarmac at Newquay since the evening of failure. It hasn’t moved

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2020, 08:03:06 »

Simulator time will be in demand, as pilots need to stay current.

Chat on aviation forums suggests that both the Q400 and Embraer sims are now with Flight Safety International, the Q400 at Farnborough. The Embraer one was apparently dismantled and moved within a few days of the airline going into administration.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2020, 10:20:51 »

Simulator time will be in demand, as pilots need to stay current.

Chat on aviation forums suggests that both the Q400 and Embraer sims are now with Flight Safety International, the Q400 at Farnborough. The Embraer one was apparently dismantled and moved within a few days of the airline going into administration.

Simulator time is indeed in demand, just not at Exeter.

Meanwhile, unsimulated flights from Exeter by Loganair start next month(July 2020), to Edinburgh five times weekly, and daily to Newcastle and Aberdeen. Support for workers in the oil industry seems to be the prime reason. The Aberdeen flights will be via Newcastle. All will use Embraer regional jets.

Now, please!
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2020, 11:24:36 »

Newquay airport reporting a new operator will resume flights to Heathrow under the public service obligation in September, only once a day; but in the interim BA» (British Airways - about) flights to Heathrow will resume in July with it's limited service.
Eastern Airways will commence three flights a week to Teeside.
Logan Air? will commence it's Scottish flights, plus those to Newcastle, Norwich, Leeds.

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
southwest
« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2020, 18:04:17 »

A Flybe plane has been outside the arrivals/departures on the tarmac at Newquay since the evening of failure. It hasn’t moved

It doesn't need to move, STS(Formerly Apple Aviation) probably have a small contract to keep the maintenance of it up to standard, as they previously did when Flybe was in operation. Once an aircraft has been prepared for long term storage, most of the maintenance is just checking & inspecting.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2020, 05:26:41 »

Newquay airport reporting a new operator will resume flights to Heathrow under the public service obligation in September, only once a day; but in the interim BA» (British Airways - about) flights to Heathrow will resume in July with it's limited service.
Eastern Airways will commence three flights a week to Teeside.
Logan Air? will commence it's Scottish flights, plus those to Newcastle, Norwich, Leeds.

Really good news 👍
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2020, 12:07:57 »

Skills fade in ground handling?  Shocked
An investigation has been launched after a collision between two planes on the tarmac at Aberdeen International Airport.
The nose of one of the aircraft ended up wedged under the engine of the other on Tuesday evening, lifting it off the ground.
No passengers were on board the Loganair jet, which was struck by the former Flybe plane.
The Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB (Air Accident Investigation Branch)) has been informed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-53076806

TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2020, 14:29:47 »

Skills fade in ground handling?  Shocked
An investigation has been launched after a collision between two planes on the tarmac at Aberdeen International Airport.
The nose of one of the aircraft ended up wedged under the engine of the other on Tuesday evening, lifting it off the ground.
No passengers were on board the Loganair jet, which was struck by the former Flybe plane.
The Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB (Air Accident Investigation Branch)) has been informed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-53076806

That's a possible explanation! I wonder if it was being towed, taxying under its own power, or someone didn't check the parking brake. The last seems odd, but I've done it once, thankfully with an instructor in the right hand seat who warned me before we hit the police helicopter. It's easy to get busy with the dials inside the cockpit after starting up, and forget to look out of the window. Sometimes, they are towed from the hangar and parked on chocks, so that the hangar crew don't need to go inside. Pilot comes out to plane, removes chocks, which isn't a problem with no engine on level ground, but when you get in and start up... I'm sure that the AAIB will get to the bottom of it very quickly. Referral to the AAIB is mandatory for any collision between two aircraft on the ground, no matter how trivial.

The Q400 involved was re-registered to an Irish leasing company on 18 May. They won't be best pleased, but hopefully the damage will be slight. The main thing is that nobody was hurt, just shaken up.

Now, please!
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2020, 16:36:14 »

I wonder if it was being towed, taxying under its own power, or someone didn't check the parking brake.

Was being taxied apparently, after a few months parked-up.

Chat on aviation fora from people who know the Q400 is that this was probably a brake pressure accumulator issue. There is apparently a manual way to pump to create the pressure (a handle in one of the landing gear wells) but speculation is that this wasn't done.

I'm sure Loganair, who are starting to ramp up operations at the moment, could've well done without this.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to: