Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 19:55 28 Mar 2024
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:20 Reading to Shalford
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:50 Gloucester to Salisbury
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:19 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
19:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:11 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 19:40 Redhill to Reading
19:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 20:07:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[118] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[116] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[89] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[38] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[28] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Oyster - a deposit becomes a fee - or still a deposit now described as a fee?  (Read 6094 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 06, 2020, 08:20:52 »

From Diamond Geezer

Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) cards have been with us since 2003. Initially they were provided free, but in 2009 a refundable deposit of £3 was introduced, and in £2011 this was increased to £5.

Should you ever want to cancel your Oyster card, TfL» (Transport for London - about) have always been happy to give you a refund. This can be done at any tube station ticket machine so long as your remaining credit is £10 or less. The machine returns your £5 deposit and your spare credit, in cash, then cancels your card. Refunds of over £10 PAYG (Pay as you go) have to be completed by post.

It's been estimated that over 60 million Oyster cards haven't been used in the last twelve months, and that TfL are sitting on £400m of our money. A lot of people keep an old card lying around in case they ever need it, even though the relentless march of contactless makes it less likely that they ever will. But the real issue isn't obsolescence, or forgetfulness, it's disposability.

Of the 9 million Oyster cards issued each year, less than a quarter are still being used four weeks later and only 10% are still in play after a year. That's a significant level of card churn, and can't simply be explained by tourists going home.

So last week TfL introduced a significant change to encourage people to hold on to their Oyster cards for longer. They changed the £5 refundable deposit to a £5 fee.

Article continues ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2020, 08:53:38 »

TfL» (Transport for London - about)'s website is a bit more concise:
on https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/refunds-and-replacements/oyster-pay-as-you-go-credit-no-longer-needed
Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) pay as you go credit no longer needed

You can get a refund.

Claim a refund in person

If your remaining credit is £10 or less, you can get a refund for the credit, and any deposit, from a Tube station ticket machine.

You Oyster card will be cancelled when we process this refund.

and on https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/how-to-pay-and-where-to-buy-tickets-and-oyster/buying-tickets-and-oyster
You need to pay £5 for an Oyster card.

If you got your Oyster card before 23 February 2020, you can get your £5 refunded when you don't need your card anymore. If you got your Oyster card on or after this date, you can get your £5 refunded once you've used it for one year.

Oyster cards aren't accepted at stations between Reading and Iver.

But I suspect I can't get £5 back on mine because I only paid £3 for it.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2020, 09:16:14 »

I'm totally confused now.  I have had an OYSTER Card for a few years now, but probably only use it once or at most twice a year, not living within 250 miles of London.  Can I still use it, and if neccessary top it up online or would it be more sensible to cancel it completely and just pay contactless when I need to?
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2020, 09:19:57 »

The number of valid Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) cards is still growing by 5-6 million per year - the rate of issuing has declined since contactless payment was introduced but only by 25% or so.

At the end of 2019 of nearly 87 million cards out there that are still valid, 68 million have not been used in the last 12 months. On a typical weekday around 2.5 million different cards are used at least once.

The advantage of Oyster is the ability to have seasons on it plus railcard discounts.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 09:25:30 by didcotdean » Logged
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2020, 09:29:43 »

I'm totally confused now.  I have had an OYSTER Card for a few years now, but probably only use it once or at most twice a year, not living within 250 miles of London.  Can I still use it, and if neccessary top it up online or would it be more sensible to cancel it completely and just pay contactless when I need to?

You're asking a question that isn't answered by TfL» (Transport for London - about) because nothing has changed - as far as I know, all Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) cards ever issued are still valid, and the latest change is not retrospective.

The advantage of an Oyster card over contactless is that you can link a railcard onto it and get discounted fares. For very occasional use (less than once per railcard renewal) this is hard to do, as you need to find a staff member at a TfL station and get them to do the linkage at a ticket machine.
Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2020, 09:59:04 »

I cancelled 4 oysters online last year and got the £3 refund on each, without having to return the cards.

Personally I don't see the issue. A lot of international cities charge a small non-returnable fee, and moreover the cards expire after a year if not used. Seems sensible to me, as it avoids an ever increasing number of cards being registered on their system and an inability to take credit for any funds unused after  many years. I expect TfL» (Transport for London - about) could do with that £400m, if that's the amount they genuinely think will never be used again.

SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2020, 10:07:43 »

You're asking a question that isn't answered by TfL» (Transport for London - about) because nothing has changed - as far as I know, all Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) cards ever issued are still valid, and the latest change is not retrospective.

The advantage of an Oyster card over contactless is that you can link a railcard onto it and get discounted fares. For very occasional use (less than once per railcard renewal) this is hard to do, as you need to find a staff member at a TfL station and get them to do the linkage at a ticket machine.

Thanks.  I think I might just cancel the card as I don't have any discount railcards (and don't need them as I already, being an ex-railwayman, have free travel).
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2020, 10:12:56 »

Another irritation with Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) is the auto-top-up. Originally set at a £10 top-up when your credit fell below £10, so the most you had on your card was £19.90. Now it is a £20 top-up when your credit falls below £20, so you card can hold between £20.10 and £39.90. Even though I visit London maybe half a dozen times a year, the auto-top-up has been a useful feature. Now, I think it is an expensive luxury. I would just use contactless, except my old-geezer's card won't get recognised!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2020, 11:26:44 »

Thanks.  I think I might just cancel the card as I don't have any discount railcards (and don't need them as I already, being an ex-railwayman, have free travel).

Have you got ‘Safeguarded’ free travel status?  If so you can load that onto your Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) as a de-facto railcard for a 75% discount.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2021, 06:04:18 »

Another irritation with Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) is the auto-top-up. Originally set at a GBP10 top-up when your credit fell below GBP10, so the most you had on your card was  GBP19.90. Now it is a GBP20 top-up when your credit falls below GBP20, so you card can hold between GBP20.10 and GBP39.90. Even though I visit London maybe half a dozen times a year, the auto-top-up has been a useful feature. Now, I think it is an expensive luxury. I would just use contactless, except my old-geezer's card won't get recognised!

From my news feed this morning ... from Berkshire Live - is this a new element to the story, or regurgitated old news??

People travelling into London are being urged to avoid using Oyster cards if they are only making a few journeys a week.

Passenger watchdog London TravelWatch has raised concerns over the automatic top-up facility for the cards, which has been raised from GBP10 to GBP20.

It said this could result in someone using an Oyster to pay for a GBP1.50 bus journey - then ending up with a much larger amount being debited from their bank account.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2021, 09:25:04 »

I'm fortunate that Taplow is now a TfL» (Transport for London - about) station and I could tap in/out with my debit card there and at my destination on the rare trips I made to the office before Xmas - always get the lowest fare that way.

I suspect that will be a system used by the majority of people when the current situation eventually eases and commuting becomes a once or twice a week practice with season tickets no longer necessary or such an attractive option.
Ralph Ayres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2021, 22:40:15 »

TravelWatch are it seems trying to say there's a flaw in the system as the optional auto-topup facility isn't necessarily the best arrangement for anyone who just makes occasional cheap journeys and is on a tight budget so doesn't want the money sitting on the card ready for next time...but that's not who it's aimed at. It has to top up by something approaching the highest fare as it can't know where you are going next so just adding a small amount may not be enough. If that's not what you want then topping up by a smaller amount in person is the best approach, or just use a bank card to travel if you don't have the complication of a linked Railcard.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2021, 23:28:21 »

TravelWatch are it seems trying to say there's a flaw in the system as the optional auto-topup facility isn't necessarily the best arrangement for anyone who just makes occasional cheap journeys and is on a tight budget so doesn't want the money sitting on the card ready for next time...but that's not who it's aimed at. It has to top up by something approaching the highest fare as it can't know where you are going next so just adding a small amount may not be enough. If that's not what you want then topping up by a smaller amount in person is the best approach, or just use a bank card to travel if you don't have the complication of a linked Railcard.

TfL» (Transport for London - about) are being pressed to allow an option of auto-top-up by ?10 or even ?5, for those doing only rare bus trips at the moment. They say they (or the system) can't do that.

What happens if you try to go through a gate with too little credit? Does the system detect it fast enough to not open the gate and do whatever else is needed (sound a siren, turn on flashing lights etc.)? If so, then it could be left to the holder to choose a top-up amount based on their usage. While for that to happen at peak flow in a busy station might be bad enough for congestion that TfL would like to avoid it, that is not (or should not be) an issue just now.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: