Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
07:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:24 Exmouth to Paignton
07:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
07:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:41 Westbury to Bristol Temple Meads
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 08:19:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: First experience - by train to Exmouth  (Read 5719 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 08, 2020, 06:57:52 »

The days of taking excellent pictures from trains are over, and I ask readers to accept my "for the record" pictures in this article - and elsewhere. Literally a reflection of modern times, also somewhat obscured by the find spray of mud that seems to dull down so many trains.  None of the proud, gleaming "crack" trains of days gone by - they seem to be more reminiscent of some of the pictures taken 50 to 60 years ago as rail ran down and the expectation was "never to return".

Exmouth station - nice enough, but "now" a single track to a buffer stop when "then" it was four platforms with two lines.  And I suspect the line to Exeter was double track all the way.  Having said which, it is absolutely incredible to see the "dance" making best use of what's left, with trains passing at Topsham every 30 minutes.  The trains I was on paused there for little more than a normal station stop - perhaps the timekeeping aided by dwell times at the Exeter stations and at Exmouth, or perhaps I was just lucky?

Full and Standing on the train from Exeter Central toward Exmouth, even when it arrived.  Once people moved down the inside, we all got on and I even got a seat.  It would appear this was "the match train" as we ran non stop to Digby and Sowton where almost everyone got off then to Topsham. So no St. James Park, Polsloe Bridge, or Newcourt.  Passed the Exeter bound service, then just Lympstone Village before Exmouth.

My first trip to Exmouth - and completing my GWR (Great Western Railway) "collection" - I think I have now been on every line they operate in the FOSW (Freedom of (the) South West Rover) area, though not called at all the stations.

Current services - mostly 143 + 150/2 4 car formations.  A passing phase, as the 143s aren't with us much longer (heck, they're not supposed to be with us now!).  I did note one train of 2 x 150/2.  On a Saturday it's hard to see the flows; I was pleasantly surprised to see that Exmouth Station had a couple of staff on duty which indicates a good level of patronage.  Less pleasantly surprised to walk up the ramp to the station from the car park and find the gate closed and have to walk all around.  It did say "access when ticket office closed" or something like that, but nothing to help the visitor know what that means in clock time - GWR may know when the ticket office is opened and when not, but I don't.

25 on at Lympstone Commando.  We were talking in another thread about gender mix, and often age mix comes up. Every one of the 25 was male, every one aged (I would guess) in the 20 to 25 range. Please excuse me not taking and posting a series of pictures in this case.

The regulars are clearly so used to the scenery that they take more interest in their mobile devices

I'm sure the cycle racks are much busier on a weekday?

A small station these days - but with an intense service

Clearly a seaside town!!

Private station - is it the only 'private' station that GWR serve?

Past era - but Topsham Signal Box still stands

Beside the Exe estuary

Topsham looks like it would be worth a stop

So many new / re-opened stations - both on "The Mule" (my earlier post) and on the Exmouth branch. A lesson for us in Wiltshire, perhaps, where that most recent new station was 1937 and the only re-opening was 1985.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 09:33:18 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2020, 07:30:47 »

Topsham is certainly worth a visit.  It's a pretty little town you can stroll around, you can have a relaxing time birdwatching at the  Bowling Green RSPB reserve just south of the town or from the Goat Walk path that takes you back to the town along the coast and have a very pleasant pint and lunch at the Lighter on the quay. One of my favourite ways of passing a morning in Devon!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 13:10:38 by eightonedee » Logged
lympstone_commuter
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2020, 07:39:13 »

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip on our line, Graham.

For the record - the line was double track from Exmouth Junction to Topsham until the early 1970s (when the M5 was built), but it has only ever been single track between Topsham and Exmouth. Lympstone - now Lympstone Village - had a goods loop (but no second platform) until the 1960s. I think the current service is the best the line has ever had.

Topsham is indeed 'worth a visit' but I should point out that The Swan (in your picture) is in the wonderful village Lympstone, which is worth a visit too!  Smiley
Bob_Blakey
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2020, 07:53:01 »

It appears that some of your picture captions have got a bit lost!

The half-hourly EXM<>EXC, and then to/from PGN, timetable consists of alternate 'all stations' & 'limited stop' services during most of the 'working' day; the limited stop trains run fast between EXC & DIG and TOP & LYM. LYC & EXN are request stops.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2020, 08:15:21 »

Grahame, perhaps you should use this guide when planning your next trip...... Roll Eyes
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crap_Towns
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2020, 09:34:58 »

It appears that some of your picture captions have got a bit lost!

Not all pictures captioned ... I have, though, moved the one that was in the wrong place.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2020, 16:49:16 »

I can recommend The Swan in Lympstone too. Had a very nice meal and pint there a few months ago.

Admittedly I didn't travel there by train. Next time Finn and I go to Exmouth for a stroll I may jump on the train up to Topsham and back, with a pi(n)t stop in Lympstone.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: