Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
07:49 Bedwyn to Newbury
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
07:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 06:54:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Bus fare rises outside London a 'scandal', says council chief  (Read 3151 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 08, 2020, 22:01:59 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)

The head of one of England's biggest councils has described continued increases in bus fares outside of London as a "scandal".

Newcastle City Council leader Nick Forbes said operators in receipt of public money should be lowering fares.

Go North East, one of the biggest bus companies in northern England, said it had recently reduced some.

The government said its planned £5bn investment in local bus networks would lower fares and improve services.

In England last year, bus passengers made three times the amount of journeys taken by rail commuters.

The fare for any single bus journey within central London has been frozen at £1.50 for the last five years.

TfL» (Transport for London - about) regulates and subsidises bus fares by about £700m a year.

The vast majority of services outside London are unregulated, with private operators setting ticket prices and timetables.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2020, 22:54:56 »

Despite high fares, very few bus opcos are making 5% pre tax profit at best, many more making losses. High fares are a necessity to mKe thing viable, unless local authority’s are going to support bus services more.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2020, 05:07:54 »

Despite high fares, very few bus opcos are making 5% pre tax profit at best, many more making losses. High fares are a necessity to mKe thing viable, unless local authority’s are going to support bus services more.

Or unless there is some other way of funding them (e.g. central government).
Or unless we have a systemic change in their use/operation such that load factors rocket.
Or unless some of the elements which make vehicles expensive to buy and run are changed.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2020, 06:54:58 »

Reading Buses are sounding more rattly and with more problems on the road, which has been a sign of lower maintenance before a price rise in the past?
mjones
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2020, 07:19:23 »

One important factor is the ongoing increase in congestion in most areas, which increases bus journey times.  As well as discouraging people from travelling by bus, reducing revenues, it means the operator requires more buses to run the same service, so costs increase and vehicle utilisation gets worse. Congestion also increases fuel consumption.  So more subsidy by itself won't resolve the underlying problems- we need investment in bus priority. Improving bus journey times would create a virtuous cycle of reduced costs,  improved competitiveness and increased patronage.
Reading General
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2020, 07:49:31 »

Or unless we have a systemic change in their use/operation such that load factors rocket.

If load factors rocket, many bus companies will not be able to handle it. Many routes running times are based on passing stops. Consider how many bus stops there are on a bus route and then allow a minute for each stop, not counting rolling time. Reading Transport's number 16 has 33 stops from the outer terminus to the town centre terminus, and is a notoriously difficult route to keep on time even off peak with no road traffic. One minute loading at each stop (some of which are ludicrously close together) would only leave 7 minutes of rolling time along the actual route, and this is before you add in other factors like whether you arrived at the outer terminus on time to begin with, or whether some people got bored of waiting and joined the route on the outbound journey (a continual problem on the 16). It's a popular route but the loadings at the outer end don't match the population density at all. The company could add another bus into the loop and raise the frequency, but you end up carrying fresh air again that's all too easy to trim away next time profits tumble. Really we have to face facts and admit there is no profit in standard type bus routes.

If anybody wants to revolutionise bus travel, then they need to figure out a way of the fares being collected without being validated by the driver.
ray951
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2020, 08:42:59 »

If anybody wants to revolutionise bus travel, then they need to figure out a way of the fares being collected without being validated by the driver.

Have a conductor?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2020, 09:05:09 »

Have a conductor?

This very serious discussion reminds me of the old joke "Never run for a bus in London or Bristol. In London, there will be another one along in a few minutes. In Bristol, he'll still be collecting fares when you get to the bus stop".

I've seen systems outside the UK (United Kingdom) where people get on at the front and there are ticket gates a little behind the driver.  Bus journey continues while they pay / swipe through the gates; bus exit from middle doors. I think it has typically been bendy buses but perhaps could work with double deckers?

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2020, 13:02:32 »

1. Conductor
2. Barriers just behind driver
3. Tap-in TfL» (Transport for London - about) style but with multiple points at each door and inside bus
4. Pre-paid paper tickets with on-board stamping
5. Free transport
6. Fares paid at barriers at stops

3 and 4 require roving enforcement teams, probably with on the spot fines.
6 requires new infrastructure.
5 requires a new mindset.
1 requires staff and wages.
2 might be the easiest to implement in terms of equipment and personnel but still has a bottleneck in the form of the barriers.

Edit: 3 and 4, probably 2 and 6, also really need a simple – even flat – fare system.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 18:23:17 by Bmblbzzz » Logged

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Reading General
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2020, 13:06:34 »

On Hong Kong trams the fare is paid/ticket validated when you leave the tram through a turnstile beside the driver at the front.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2020, 15:44:13 »

I would say as little as 20% of passengers (if not less)  require ticket selling interaction from me these days. My employer offers discounts on weekly/monthly if bought through the app as an M ticket,
My companies also bucking the national trend on passenger numbers despite perceived high fares. Currently around 15-20% passenger increase against national average of -1.5%! Weve gone from worst performing First opco to 3rd best and still improving!
I could carry in a shift 200-300 passengers and only take less than £50 in fares!
Perhaps my opco would be a good case study!

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2020, 16:11:25 »

Do the pass holders need to show their weekly/monthly ticket to you as they board?

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Reading General
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2020, 16:41:37 »

I found cash fares greatly reduced but boarding still slow while each ticket is validated electronically. Using the contactless card to purchase a paper ticket even slower. Barcode reading was also slower than just looking and registering a ticket, many people way too swift and not allowing the machine to register their ticket. A year and 2 months as passed since I last drove a bus mind but, as a passenger now, I find the journey to town taking even longer. When I was a driver for Reading Transport I estimated that half of late running at all times of day was down to loading and not traffic, it's all too easy to put the blame all on traffic, and whoever comes up with a different system to load the vehicles, such as those above, is onto a winner.
Reading General
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2020, 16:43:26 »

Do the pass holders need to show their weekly/monthly ticket to you as they board?

In Reading, every single ticket has to be validated by the machine, OAP/Access passes included. Loading stats are vital.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2020, 17:33:02 »

Scan it on the Barcode reader. Takes maybe 1-2 seconds a passenger if they do it right

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: