Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:24 Exmouth to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:41 Westbury to Bristol Temple Meads
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 08:49:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[77] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[72] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[70] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[63] Return of the BRUTE?
[56] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[44] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Oxford Corridor Capacity Improvements  (Read 14860 times)
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« on: March 12, 2020, 15:23:33 »

I have been given sight of some new signalling plans that show the following listed improvements in the Oxford Area:

1. Full bi-directional signalling between Tackley and Oxford North Junction, with increased permissible linespeeds in reversible direction.

2. Abolition and replacement by overbridges at Sandy Lane and Yarnton Lane AHBC (Automatic Half Barrier Crossing)-X level crossings.

3. New high speed crossovers at Oxford North Junction.

4. New Oxford station Platform No.5 (fully reversible platform to rear of exisiting Platform No.4)

5. New stations on the Morris Cowley single line at Oxford Science Park and Oxford Business Park.

6. Extension of existing platforms at Appleford and Culham stations.

There also seem to be some changes proposed to the OLE (Overhead Line Equipment, more often "OHLE") Neutral Section North of Didcot (perhaps pre-planning for extension of the electrification to Oxford!).
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 15:28:50 by SandTEngineer » Logged
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 16:23:03 »

Any target implementation date(s) on these? Within CP6 (Control Period 6 - The five year period between 2019 and 2024)?
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 19:50:13 »

2. Abolition and replacement by overbridges at Sandy Lane and Yarnton Lane AHBC (Automatic Half Barrier Crossing)-X level crossings.

Yarnton Lane (aka Sandy Lane) is an interesting case. East of the crossing, there's access to (I think) one house and then it degenerates into a rough track. I'd have thought stopping up the road and putting in a foot/cycle crossing would be the most effective solution here, and probably likely to get permission.

4. New Oxford station Platform No.5 (fully reversible platform to rear of exisiting Platform No.4)

Presumably requiring the long-heralded rebuilding of Botley Road rail bridge, and demolition of the youth hostel?
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020, 21:43:49 »

Any target implementation date(s) on these? Within CP6 (Control Period 6 - The five year period between 2019 and 2024)?

No idea.  They seem to be for signoff at GRIP4, so possibly a couple of years away yet (this is NR» (Network Rail - home page) we are talking about, don't forget) Roll Eyes
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2020, 21:48:20 »

Yarnton Lane (aka Sandy Lane) is an interesting case. East of the crossing, there's access to (I think) one house and then it degenerates into a rough track. I'd have thought stopping up the road and putting in a foot/cycle crossing would be the most effective solution here, and probably likely to get permission.

Presumably requiring the long-heralded rebuilding of Botley Road rail bridge, and demolition of the youth hostel?

Yarnton Lane replacement is shown as a footbridge only.  Botley Road underbridge is shown as being reconstructed.
mjones
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020, 09:42:01 »

I wonder how many bats have managed to colonise the Youth Hostel...
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2020, 10:06:16 »

I presume that extending the Down Loop (or whatever it’s called) from Oxford P4 to Wolvercote J was looked at but didn’t wash.  And maybe quadrupling Didcot – Oxford was beyond the scope of this scheme: the layout at the Didcot end would in any case depend on what happens about a Didcot East grade separation scheme.
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2020, 10:54:11 »

I wonder how many bats have managed to colonise the Youth Hostel...

No bat, but there's famously a boat:

SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2020, 20:06:22 »

I presume that extending the Down Loop (or whatever it’s called) from Oxford P4 to Wolvercote J was looked at but didn’t wash.

I don't think that would be justified, as there are 4-tracks fully reversibly signalled from Oxford Station to Oxford North Junction, and two out of four tracks reversibly signalled in the 4-track section from Oxford North Junction to Wolvercote South Junction.  Pleanty of capacity there.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2020, 21:49:57 »

I presume that extending the Down Loop (or whatever it’s called) from Oxford P4 to Wolvercote J was looked at but didn’t wash.

I don't think that would be justified, as there are 4-tracks fully reversibly signalled from Oxford Station to Oxford North Junction, and two out of four tracks reversibly signalled in the 4-track section from Oxford North Junction to Wolvercote South Junction.  Pleanty of capacity there.
Don’t a majority of passenger services stay on the extended down loop as far as Wolvercote South now, because it’s the faster route?  I think this was mentioned back when it first came into use.

Paul
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2020, 09:32:43 »

Fair enough.  I was thinking of the flexibility to bring an up train into P4/P5 from the Worcester line parallel with an up train from Banbury into P3. I accept that is possible with the existing layout, and an additional Down platform would make this kind of move more attractive.  And I think II told us a while ago that there is a bridge in the way if the Down Loop was to be extended to Wolvercote J which would make it expensive.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2020, 10:32:44 »

Fair enough.  I was thinking of the flexibility to bring an up train into P4/P5 from the Worcester line parallel with an up train from Banbury into P3. I accept that is possible with the existing layout, and an additional Down platform would make this kind of move more attractive.  And I think II told us a while ago that there is a bridge in the way if the Down Loop was to be extended to Wolvercote J which would make it expensive.

Shouldn't that be the up loop? That used to run all the way from Wolvercot(e) Junction, while the Down Loop never went that far (it now goes a bit further, past Godstow Road but not the A34). So provided the newer bridges don't block the old formation, a third track ought to fit - the obvious narrow point being the bridge over the canal (Duke's Cut). The two tracks there have been spaced out a bit so don't leave a gap for a third now.

The plan as given by S&TE corresponds roughly to what we had earlier labelled "phase 1". The Oxford Masterplan competitors were told to put in a second through platfrom on each side and a terminating platform (full length) on the Down side - but no Up side bays. What the longer-term plans are now I'm not sure, but perhaps this signalling plan is for for after NR» (Network Rail - home page) have got permissions (and funding) for their bits - extra land to the eastwest for P5 and a new bridge over Botley Road - but before the station masterplan has enabled an Up through platform line to be built.

How one operates that station is not clear; noting that the main demand for an extra platform is for reversing London trains, isn't it? After all, as long as there are only two tracks south to Didcot, where there are more trains, why would you need more than two to the north? And if NR have put in P5, why isn't P6 (as it might not be) possible too?

corrected: got my (mental) map upside down
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 12:37:28 by stuving » Logged
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2020, 11:44:13 »

A theoretical P6 would presumably require Roger Dudman Way to be closed, isolating the area between the tracks and the Thames.  A track from P5 will be a tight fit anyway, but I think from previous discussions we’d expect the bridge spans at the north end of the platforms to be altered. 

I think in normal use P4 might be used for terminating trains, and P5 for passenger trains to the north.

Paul
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2020, 12:12:17 »

In the new arrangement it will be possible to run an Up Cotswold line train along the Down Oxford from Wolvercote North Junction into Oxford station Platform Nos.4 or 5 at the same time as running an Up Banbury line train along the Up Oxford line from Wolvercote North Junction into Oxford station Platform Nos.3 or 4, and vice-versa (although in the Down direction the Banbury bound train would have to run to Tackley to regain the Down line).  Knowing NR» (Network Rail - home page) though, and the way Automatic Route Setting is programmed, that will never probably occur as a timetabled movement!
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2020, 12:17:19 »

Just a small correction to your post STUVING. Platform No.5 will be on the West side of the station.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: