17:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
Delayed
06:01 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 05:40:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[176] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[71] Signage - not making it easy ...
[15] IETs at Melksham
[13] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[12] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[12] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Oxford Corridor Capacity Improvements  (Read 15053 times)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2020, 12:38:43 »

What this Phase 2 Corridor works do is give us the new platform 5 - by replacing/adding to the Botley Road bridge and demolishing part/all of the Youth Hostel.  That (as others have mentioned) gives the flexibility to bring a terminating train into platform 4 and then a through service (or indeed another terminating service) can be routed into platform 5 without having to wait outside for platform 4 to become clear.  That also means that any freight can also get a clearer run through the station heading northwards.  

Terminating trains then can, and I suspect often will, turn back in the platform so there will be no need to shunt into the down carriage sidings.  That in itself relieves the pressure on shunt moves north of the station and the flow of trains through platform 3.  I don't think there will ever be a platform 6, but as and when the station is rebuilt, the option to turn bay platform 2 into a through line should, and probably will, take place.  The big thing for me is that this gives us the much needed platform 5, without having to wait until the station building is replaced - which I predict will drag on for many, many years.

Regarding Wolvercote Junction, it would be very nice to have four tracks running up to the junction so that maximum flexibility is available, but that would involve widening, replacing the Duke's Cut bridge - and there isn't a bottomless pit of money.  As it is currently, freight and passenger trains tend to wait to be funnelled through that two track station in the northbound direction which is far from optimal and can lead to delays to trains getting onto the Cotswold Line.  However the phase 2 works, removing the two AHB level crossings, does make this much better in that the signalling sections are much shorter and trains towards Tackley won't have to wait until the one in front has passed OD2437 before they can proceed.

It would also be nice to have four tracks running south as far as Kennington Junction (some have also said Radley, or even Didcot, but I can't see too much likelihood of that given that it doesn't offer much value to go to just before Radley and would be very expensive to go beyond to Didcot), but again I suspect that is prohibitive on cost grounds.

Other improvements include a much faster route onto the Down Bletchley at Oxford North Junction, meaning that Chiltern services will not have to slow down to 25mph for the crossings onto the Down Bletchley when routed out of platform 4 (and, when built, platform 5).  There's only a few such movements today (basically a handful of peak trains that don't fit into one of the bays), but with East-West Rail services, and Chiltern likely to extend along the Cowley Branch, that will be critical.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2020, 16:59:27 »

It's unlikely that Chiltern will extend along the Cowley branch - current planning is for the additional Oxford metro (Hanborough - Cowley shuttles) to use that branch. EWR will extend southwards from Oxford (which might end up being run by Chiltern)
Marlburian

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2023, 18:10:26 »

2. Abolition and replacement by overbridges at Sandy Lane and Yarnton Lane AHBC (Automatic Half Barrier Crossing)-X level crossings.

Concern about the Sandy Lane closure.

There's just been an item about this on Meridian TV news, but as is often the case I can't find any on-line link.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2023, 19:06:41 »

It should appear here, but Friday's version is still there at the time I posted this.

That was loaded just before 8pm Friday, so be patient & it should appear. This is Meridian in the Thames Valley version.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: