17:00 Oxford to London Paddington
Short Run
18:23 London Paddington to Banbury
19:45 Banbury to London Paddington
Delayed
14:45 Falmouth Docks to Truro
15:45 Falmouth Docks to Truro
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 14:04:02 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[164] A daily picture from my recent travels
[106] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[85] 2024 Delays and Cancellations - North Cotswold Line
[45] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[36] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[35] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: Member Roll call  (Read 20955 times)
4064ReadingAbbey

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2020, 11:14:46 »

The spare time generated by this Covid-19 thing encourages vacillation which has kept me put off applying my fingers to the keyboard - but as it pouring with rain today I have finally taken myself by the scruff of the neck…

Please remember there are some of us who have no more and possibly less spare time during Covid-19.  Yes I have saved the travel time (only occasional hold ups on the way through the dining room), but some things take a bit longer. 
Do you think I don't?

I was describing my position - I am male, over 75 and have received The Letter encouraging me to stay at home. I can't do the things I would normally do out of the house and I am discouraged from meeting people as there are two other people in my household who are even more endangered than me.

Your mileage may vary.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2020, 11:29:03 »

Do you think I don't?

No criticism intended to you - just as an aside to a business meeting yesterday (by video) there was frustration that some people were assuming that all the people they interact with were in the same position as themselves, having lots of time and did not appreciate the position of those of us  who don't. 

Most frustration was a couple of weeks ago in the supermarket when a bloke was completely blocking the bread aisle while he took a phone call oblivious to the queue that was forming.  When he had finished and noticed the queue he apologised to the first person who said it was fine as she had plenty of time. And proceeded on that basis assuming everyone else did. 
old original
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2020, 18:46:11 »

Well It's about time to come clean I suppose...
Real name is Dave and I started with BR (British Rail(ways))  in June 1986, mainly in ticket offices with a bit of auditing thrown in. For the last 20 years (May 1999 - Oct. 2019) I was the ticket office manger / supervisor / team leader (hate that title!) at Truro.
Yep RichardB that's me, clock restorer extraordinaire.
Took early retirement with a plan to vegetate for the winter maybe with a bit of diy, then get a passport and do a bit of travelling come spring time, that was a waste of £75!.
The railways? Glad to be out of it although being on half hours for full pay sounds like I'm missing out on some easy money. Sphericals.

8 Billion people on a wet rock - of course we're not happy
adc82140

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2020, 19:29:03 »

OK first post here for a while, the lack of activity is explained below  Smiley

Real name Adam, joined here when I used to brave the daily commute from Twyford/Maidenhead into Paddington. A change of job and a house move meant a change of commute, and for a while I was a creature of the North Downs line, from Farnborough North to Guildford.

Another change of job and house move later (and now with a family as well) I am no longer a rail commuter. We are based in the New Forest, but I still follow all things GWR (Great Western Railway) with interest. In fact I think I have progressed from serial whingeing commuter to rail enthusiast!
paulpointer

View Profile Email
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2020, 13:40:31 »

Yesterday I had a conversation with Grahame, today in attempting to take this up again I can find no trace of the exchange. Nor can I find any way (other than this) to send another query. Am I missing something?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2020, 13:47:50 »

Yesterday I had a conversation with Grahame, today in attempting to take this up again I can find no trace of the exchange. Nor can I find any way (other than this) to send another query. Am I missing something?

Hi, Paul ... I think the 'chat' window is off at the moment ... those of us who man it have been in a conference call.

The Personal Message system on the forum should let you get in touch with me - under "my messages" at the top tag and I'll put some details in there for you in a couple of minutes.

And welcome to the forum ... we know it's got far more facilities, nooks and crannies than it would ideally have, which makes it difficult for the newcomer.   A bit like some of the esoterics of public transport really!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
paulpointer

View Profile Email
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2020, 16:27:57 »

Ok thanks Grahame, essentially I was just going to suggest 14:00 tomorrow to call you ref the shuttle bus thing. Snag is I couldn't find the message with your phone number on either! If the time is ok could you resend it please?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2020, 16:38:35 »

Ok thanks Grahame, essentially I was just going to suggest 14:00 tomorrow to call you ref the shuttle bus thing. Snag is I couldn't find the message with your phone number on either! If the time is ok could you resend it please?

The message should be under "my messages" when you're logged in - no need to resend unless you'd found and deleted it ;-) . However, as admin I can get the forum to email you to your registered forum address - I'll do that too.   14:00 AOK by me ... and as a further route-to-number, my home site at http://www.wellho.net is plastered with contact details!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
jester

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2020, 20:59:03 »

Hi Everyone, I am located in the 'Wild west' and have been on the railway
for nearly 20 years, a 'youngster'...
Used to be onboard, Guarding but more recently station based.
I have always loved a train ride, have a lot of interest in its evolution.
My favorite thing is the variety of architecture all around the country.
I do spend spare time visiting far flung corners, especially if i can
find a good beer too!!
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2022, 07:14:15 »

Morning all.
Richard here.
Born in Weymouth, moved to Dartmouth by 2 years of age.
Went to Churston Grammar for two terms by train from Dartmouth (well, Kingswear, of course) daily.
Believe the down Torbay Express was our connection back, but was frequently late, so we were sardined onto the single car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) from the Brixham branch.
My parents had moved to Falmouth before then, but Cornish Grammar schools wouldn't take a Devon pupil until I'd done two terms in Devon!

Met up with two train spotters in Falmouth Grammar, so frequently went to Truro & recorded DMU's idling, arriving and leaving.  Recordings long since lost.
Always wanted to work on the railways.
When in Dartmouth pre-teen I always had a rover ticket, and travelled the route from Exmouth to Brent (?) solo every day.
A careers advisor prior to leaving school suggested Marine Radio Officer.  Never heard of it.
Failed all/most of my O levels (also took a few GCSE's that were new then), so had a personal interview with the radio college principal at Plymouth and started there.
Was the only one present who had little interest in electronics, but loved morse code & regulations.
Finally passed & went to sea as a Radio Officer with BP» (Beyond Petroleum (Former name - British Petroleum) - home page) Tankers.
Whilst at College, we did a day visit to a long range ship to shore radio station and a short range ship to shore station.  I fell in love with the short range station & knew that's where I wanted to be.
After the regulatory 3 years at sea I came ashore & joined the Post Office at Portishead Radio (Burnham on Sea).  Then transferred to Landsend End Radio via Northforeland Radio (Kent).
Post Office Telecoms taken over by BT, and worked 35 years there.
Satellites took over, so transferred to Goonhilly for 3 years.
Retired early & found I needed a part time job to keep finances going.
Been in the same house for 40'odd years and more than settled far far West - 10 miles from nearest rail terminus.
A few minibus jobs, then applied to Firstbus for training as a driver.
Qualified in 2010, stayed full time for 4 years, then went part time.
Now down to casual (no contract) doing 2 days a week.

Two grownup 'children', each with their own partners and one grandson, now just under a year.  We take him one day a week, plus many visits at weekends.

Still fascinated by trains, and love the forum - thank you one and all for your inputs.

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2022, 08:09:16 »

P.S  Whilst at school, did a two week stint at Longmoor Military Railway whilst in the Army Cadets.
Sheer bliss.  Didn't have a camera in those days - what a mistake!
They even had a training working 'O' gauge model railway layout of the real circuit to route learn.

When at Landsend Radio also did several periods of detached duty at Wick Radio, always by train via London.
That said, also several periods at Lewis Radio (Outer Hebrides) but that was flying from Plymouth initially, thence Newquay.

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
infoman

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2022, 08:44:49 »

Longmoor was that where Frankie Howard  filmed the great train Robbery film.
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2022, 14:21:30 »

Longmoor was that where Frankie Howard  filmed the great train Robbery film.

Believe it was

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: