Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 15:15 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:57 Exmouth to Paignton
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 15:19:00 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cycling and Covid-19  (Read 4477 times)
CyclingSid

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« on: March 18, 2020, 10:10:00 »

An article by Carlton Reid https://www.forbes.com/sites/carltonreid/2020/03/17/do-not-ban-bicycling-in-covid-19-measures-industry-urges-uk-government/#616870164db4 presses the case for cycling to be allowed as a form of transport during any lock down period in UK (United Kingdom). Cycle shops should also be exempted from any closures. Academics support the case on the grounds of exercise for health, but allowing social isolation.
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 15:13:49 »

An article by Carlton Reid https://www.forbes.com/sites/carltonreid/2020/03/17/do-not-ban-bicycling-in-covid-19-measures-industry-urges-uk-government/#616870164db4 presses the case for cycling to be allowed as a form of transport during any lock down period in UK (United Kingdom). Cycle shops should also be exempted from any closures. Academics support the case on the grounds of exercise for health, but allowing social isolation.

Completely agree, and let's hope this is understood by those who influence decisions. However, certainly in some of those countries that have gone into complete lockdown, going cycling has been specifically banned, so we need to be on our guard.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2020, 15:27:29 »

Recreational cycling has been banned in Italy and Spain, I think. Cycling to make essential purchases (food, basically) has not.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Marlburian

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2020, 15:59:45 »

Several professional cyclists out training have had verbal abuse - though they have certificates to show they're doing their job - not that the abusers would know that and not that there's any racing at the moment. But they need to keep fit.

Must be a bit awkward for commuter-cyclists who dress as if they're out trainigg (indeed, some used their commute as training).
mjones
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2020, 18:35:45 »

Nothing wrong with people going out for recreational cycling anyway. There are few opportunities for contact with other people or shared surfaces.  The virus doesn't survive long outside. Some people seem to want to ban things just so it looks like something is being done, even if it is irrelevant to reducing risk.
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2020, 18:45:55 »

I think you are right MJ. I am fortunate in living next to open country. It would be absolutely ridiculous if I was prevented form getting out and having a walk on my own in the spring fresh air just to give the impression that "something is being done".
Marlburian

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2020, 22:22:19 »

Seems to be the case in several European countries - banning walking. My "self-isolation" will be alleviated by long walks. I can get to open countryside within 15-20 minutes on foot, and on Sunday mornings on my extended walk of 90 minutes to get a newspaper I might meet half-a-dozen people. Or I can drive out a distance and walk for hours without seeing a soul. Great for my health and well-being, and it will stop my becoming stir-crazy.

eXPassenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2020, 12:27:07 »

The National Trust is currently encouraging people to visit parks and countryside for walking and cycling exercise although they have closed their properties.
CyclingSid

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2020, 10:08:18 »

More reasons to get on your bike https://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2020/mar/20/why-not-encourage-cycling-during-the-coronavirus-lockdown
Marlburian

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2020, 12:07:40 »

I'll be getting out and about on solitary walks, giving anyone I encounter a wide berth. I'm having to spend enough time interpreting policies and advice in the UK (United Kingdom) without bothering with other countries', but I'm puzzled why cycling isn't being allowed in several European states. Seems harmless enough on one's own, but in a group there's a risk, given some cyclists' "need" to clear their noses and throats as they ride along. In my racing days, I got deposits of other people's  phlegm.

And cycling to work seems far preferable to using such public transport as remains available.
mjones
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2020, 18:57:37 »

We fairly urgently need some evidence based guidance on the risks of transmission between people outdoors. The WHO seems to be advising a minimum distance of 1 metre between people,  but I think that applies indoors. So given the much more effective dispersion outside,  together with the effects of solar UV, there is likely to be minimal risk even with groups.  But without some specific evidence it is going to be hard to get sensible policy decisions. 
Marlburian

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2020, 19:40:56 »

... I'm puzzled why cycling isn't being allowed in several European states...

To answer my own question:

"Spain, Andorra and France have banned [cycle] training outdoors on public roads and Italian professionals have also stopped training outdoors after initially having a special permission because it was deemed to be part of their job.

In contrast, riders in Belgium, the Netherlands, Britain, the USA and elsewhere are currently allowed to train outdoors ... Riding outdoors is widely seen as setting a bad example, with illness or injury possibly taking up medical resources that could be used to treat coronavirus cases now or in the future."

All my environmental groups have cancelled their tasks programme. Just a few days ago, I hinted to one group that we perhaps could work informally, but since then the situation has worsened and restrictions imposed on all sorts of activities.
CyclingSid

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2020, 08:15:25 »

Following from the Deputy CMO
Speaking at today's UK (United Kingdom) government press conference on the latest social distancing measures to combat the coronavirus Dr Jenny Harries, deputy chief medical officer for England, had this to say on the subject of exercise and cycling specfically.   

Doctor Harries's comments on cycling were made in response to a question on letting children play together outside. Her response though was given within the context of general principles that the government clearly thinks should apply to all of us.

On that basis

group riding where there are more than two riders is out,
    if there are two of you then sorry no wheel sucking you need to keep at least 2m apart.
    only ride your bike and use your own equipment
    coughs and sneezes need to be caught with a tissue
    if you're driving somewhere to ride - don't fill the car with people

"The basic strand running through all of these measures is social distancing and reducing the totality of our social interactions. That applies to children just as it does to the rest of us but also there is a balance there between maintaining physical and mental wellbeing when we are going through what will be for all of us quite a stressful period.

"So for children who are at home, a family or a household group usually has the same sort of exposure risk, so put nicely that just means that it's okay for them to play together usually in their own home environment, kick a ball around in the garden if they have one.

"We're not saying don't go outside but we are saying that if you go outside go in a way which reduces your social contact... we don't want to suggest that every child should go for a solitary walk across the park - that would not be a helpful public health measure – but certainly with appropriate supervision, buddying children for example, keeping two metres apart, off for a bike ride or something, that is absolutely fine and in many ways we would encourage that.

"But there are some simple principles again around that: make sure you hang on to your own bike, your own equipment or whatever, wash your hands regularly, if you have coughs and sneezes use a tissue... all the things we have been encouraging people to do.

"The weather is getting better, we want children to be exercising but to do so not in groups. When it comes to team games, I would not encourage those - the most important bit is the social element around it. If everyone piles up in shared cars, that's not a good thing to do

"So exercising: fine, but cut right down on the social interactions."

Should make the situation pretty clear.

"No wheel sucking", now is the Deputy CMO a bit of a cyclist, or is it just the person who wrote the brief?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2020, 08:47:40 »

On my cycle yesterday I saw three or four times the number of cyclists I might typically see.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2020, 09:01:04 »

Solo cycling would seem to be fine, but whilst this situation persist, let's hope a sense of responsibility prevails and we aren't assailed by the 3 abreast suburban pelotons which are a common sight these days, particularly at weekends - that certainly isn't social distancing.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: