I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 21:55 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:20 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
22:10 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 22:05:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Coronavirus: Great Western Railway reduced services  (Read 18172 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2020, 21:49:39 »

Severn Beach Line times have been updated. Basically it's been shutdown between 1000-1600. Commuter services only.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2020, 00:33:37 »

460 cancellations listed, mostly for tomorrow. Looks like a virtual shutdown.

Easiest way to see roughly what is still running is to look at the GWR (Great Western Railway) page at https://www.gwr.com/travel-updates/live-network-updates/disruption-information .

460 sounds like a lot ... but how many services a day do GWR normally run?  I think I have seen a figure somewhere over a thousand.

At a very rough guess, 30-40% of the normal train service running, supplying demand to 5-10% of the usual passenger numbers.

Some stations do very well (Melksham for example), some do very badly (Tackley, Heyford for example).  Disappointing that exact timings aren't available for all routes still.

Will be reviewed each week and changes made as necessary I understand.

Currently I can't find any information as to what service TfL» (Transport for London - about) Rail will be operating into Paddington other than 'from next week until further notice, London Overground, TfL Rail, the DLR (Docklands Light Railway) and London Trams will run fewer services'.  Very vague, unless TaplowGreen can point us towards something more detailed?  I had the distinct feeling of being sent round in circles navigating the TfL website.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2020, 06:01:28 »

460 cancellations listed, mostly for tomorrow. Looks like a virtual shutdown.

Easiest way to see roughly what is still running is to look at the GWR (Great Western Railway) page at https://www.gwr.com/travel-updates/live-network-updates/disruption-information .

460 sounds like a lot ... but how many services a day do GWR normally run?  I think I have seen a figure somewhere over a thousand.

At a very rough guess, 30-40% of the normal train service running, supplying demand to 5-10% of the usual passenger numbers.

Some stations do very well (Melksham for example), some do very badly (Tackley, Heyford for example).  Disappointing that exact timings aren't available for all routes still.

Will be reviewed each week and changes made as necessary I understand.

Currently I can't find any information as to what service TfL» (Transport for London - about) Rail will be operating into Paddington other than 'from next week until further notice, London Overground, TfL Rail, the DLR (Docklands Light Railway) and London Trams will run fewer services'.  Very vague, unless TaplowGreen can point us towards something more detailed?  I had the distinct feeling of being sent round in circles navigating the TfL website.

TfL services between Reading/Paddington are on National Rail Enquiries.

Service (from Taplow) has been reduced to half hourly (we're used to that from GWR days!) but seems to be running OK.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2020, 10:00:37 »

Thanks for that, so off-peak levels of service all day then?  A shame it’s not clearer on the TfL» (Transport for London - about) website.  Between GWR (Great Western Railway) and TfL Rail it’s a pretty reasonable service between Reading and Paddington for the local stations then.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2020, 11:28:42 »

As has happened before when there's an emergency timetable, Appleford and Culham get their best ever service, off-peak at least, with every Oxford<>Didcot shuttle calling at both of them.

Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2020, 12:18:18 »

Thanks for that, so off-peak levels of service all day then?  A shame it’s not clearer on the TfL» (Transport for London - about) website.  Between GWR (Great Western Railway) and TfL Rail it’s a pretty reasonable service between Reading and Paddington for the local stations then.

Any indications of how busy the trains are on Thames Valley? If they're relatively busy then a taxi might be a better option for social distancing.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2020, 12:44:40 »

Following on from earlier discussions in this thread:

12:42 Salisbury to Cardiff Central due 14:46
12:42 Salisbury to Cardiff Central due 14:46 will call additionally at Avoncliff, Freshford, Oldfield Park and Keynsham.
This is due to a short-notice change to the timetable.

Changes such as this make sense ... longer distance trains filling in for the shorter distance stoppers.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
fintan_stack

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2020, 14:18:53 »

Severn Beach Line times have been updated. Basically it's been shutdown between 1000-1600. Commuter services only.
For some reason a 1311 ran BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)) to Severn Beach, platform bloke was as surprised as I was.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2020, 16:33:11 »

Any indications of how busy the trains are on Thames Valley? If they're relatively busy then a taxi might be a better option for social distancing.

I haven't had chance to see yet,but will report back when I do.  Anything medium to long distance is practically empty - maybe 5% of what you might expect?

With the frequencies in place, and length of train, on the Thames Valley routes, I would suspect they are also very quiet off-peak.

I reckon the 70% reduction quoted by the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) was an average over the whole of last week rather than the current situation which must be a bigger reduction than that.

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2020, 16:45:23 »

667 cancellations and 199 "updates"

Wow.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2020, 16:54:25 »

Gives you a good perspective of how many trains GWR (Great Western Railway) normally runs.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2020, 17:03:36 »

Wow.

Gives you a good perspective of how many trains GWR (Great Western Railway) normally runs.

Bear in mind that's more than a day's worth though ... from now until end of service tomorrow as far as I can see

For tomorrow - 346 cancellations and 118 updates.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2020, 07:11:52 »

Wow.

Bear in mind that's more than a day's worth though ... from now until end of service tomorrow as far as I can see

For tomorrow - 346 cancellations and 118 updates.

708/214 as at 0700
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2020, 08:59:33 »

708/214 as at 0700

The 214 is not exactly "214 services running short". There are additional trains in there as well as curtailments, often on the same service.    Weymouth to Gloucester / Great Malvern has become Weymouth to Westbury and Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester, with Westbury to Bristol passengers and intermediate stations covered on the Salisbury - Cardiff service.

bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2020, 09:05:27 »

I fear that GWR (Great Western Railway) Journey Check is so overloaded that it puts one off. Compare that with SWR» (South Western Railway - about), who have clearly adapted theirs to the new timetable. As a result the few changes there are can be readily seen.
Is this huge number because the new timetable has not been uploaded to their website?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: