Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 14:35 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:13 Par to Newquay
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Short Run
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 14:48:03 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
  Print  
Author Topic: Coronavirus: Great Western Railway reduced services  (Read 18167 times)
RailCornwall

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 02, 2020, 20:34:59 »

Received an interesting survey from GWR (Great Western Railway) tonight

In response to COVID-19 and the government’s guidance, we’ve reduced our train services.

And with the rail passenger independent watchdog Transport Focus by our side, we want to hear how these changes have impacted your journeys.

By sharing your recent experiences and your needs for essential travel with us, we'll better understand where improvements can be made. So please take a few minutes to tell us your thoughts.

Don’t forget that your responses are entirely confidential and your personal information is fully protected.

A worthwhile exercise in my view.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 02, 2020, 21:07:23 »

In the great scheme of things I guess this is a minor issue but does anyone know whether the performance measures for season tickets, etc. are still be measured during this period of reduced services?

I believe they are.  I’m not sure about last week, but this week I expect it’ll be based on the emergency timetable trains only, so expect very good figures!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #92 on: April 02, 2020, 21:14:43 »

[snip]

In my view too (and I have heard a bit of background).  The email contains a personalised link - from a data quality viewpoint that makes sense but it has meant that there's not been a useful link for me to pass on.  If you, member reading this, get a survey request - please do complete it!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #93 on: April 02, 2020, 21:46:13 »

Out of region, but "Woman fined £660 for refusing to tell police why she was out".

British Transport Police officers at Newcastle Central station received a report from rail staff of a woman loitering between platforms.

Makes me wonder about my having popped into Tilehurst Station to help myself to a Metro. (Theft might be added to other alleged misdemeanours ...)

[snip]

The police and courts (let's be generous to them) are at times misunderstanding and overimplementing the law.  From the Independent

Her conviction is to be quashed after police admitted that the wrong law was used to prosecute her, and the case “shouldn’t have happened”.

The Independent has learned that Ms Dinou was not even in the courtroom when a judge found the offence proven after reading statements from British Transport Police (BTP (British Transport Police)) on Monday.

a very long analysis and catalogue of issues follows ... finished with:

“Regardless, we fully accept that this shouldn’t have happened and we apologise. It is highly unusual that a case can pass through a number of controls in the criminal justice process and fail in this way.”

The senior officer added: “BTP and the CPS will undertake a more detailed review of the case to ensure that any lessons to be learned are integrated into our shared justice processes.”

BTP said it has shared official guidance on how to enforce the new laws with officers “to help them interpret the new legislation”.

The only rail case I've come across, but not a unique overimplementation ... Wiltshire police hereabouts have had to "debrief" one of their PCSOs after a "slight misunderstanding" (!!) which involved turning away people who were out for vital supplies and following all the rules.

SO much is new that there will be odd issues ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 02, 2020, 22:09:23 »

[snip]

In my view too (and I have heard a bit of background).  The email contains a personalised link - from a data quality viewpoint that makes sense but it has meant that there's not been a useful link for me to pass on.  If you, member reading this, get a survey request - please do complete it!

I'm glad you highlighted that, as I would have ignored it otherwise. 

Edit to clarify quoting
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 02:38:15 by grahame » Logged
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 02, 2020, 22:15:06 »

Survey completed

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #96 on: April 04, 2020, 11:41:43 »

As we progressively downsize and have reduced our business over the last few years, we have taken back some roles and responsibilities that were delegated - and one of those rolls is doing some of the garden. With the start of the grass growing season, I find that daily exercise can be taken walking up and down pushing a lawmnower in front of me. The semi-mindless task without a keyboard in front of me or a notpad and pen to hand gets me thinking - algorithms and potentially wild ideas too.

I got myself thinking ... "what is a truly skeleton service that still fulfills its purpose" ... found myself coming up with guiding logic and principles.  Then I read ...
Part of my day job over the last 2 and a bit weeks, I along with many other colleges, have been working on the Domes Day scenarios of what to services, lines and stations to prioritise in the event of staff shortages due to Covid-19.

The plan is well developed and is in place now

Ah - I'm going to defer to your expertise here; there are some difficult decisions - and they have already been made.  Thinking from a passenger viewpoint, I came up with minimum service thoughts for key workers and it will be very interesting to see how they fit should Doomsday come.
* "plus 15%, plus 15 minutes" on regular length of journey is fine
* No more than a 2 hour gap between services
* First and last services to be no later / no earlier than normal

So Half an hour can go up to 50 minutes
An hour can go up to an hour and 24 minutes
Two hours can go up to 2 hours and 33 minutes
And three hours can go up to 3 hours and 42 minutes.

-- Nothing there about maintaining through trains - indeed the "plus 15 minutes" specifically allows a change of train. Stroud and Kemble have already dropped back from through London services to a connection at Swindon.  The "plus 15%" allows intermediate stations to be served by trains that would otherise just pass through.

-- Nothing about capacity; as it stands at the moment I believe there is plenty of space even allowing for social distancing, though I think I read that one TOC (Train Operating Company) has gone back up from 4 to 8 carriages on their reduced peak service to add such space.

-- The suggestions apply to buses as well as trains; looking at our Melksham to Bath run, I can actually understand and accept the drop from eight services in the two hour peak (a month ago) to just one. Where I do worry is about the first bus arriving in Bath at 08:20 - nearly an hour later than it has been; in essence the first four buses have all gone. Anyone who works at the RUH (Royal United Hospital) probably can't use the bus to get there now. The final bus back at 19:10 is a far cry from the 23:20; I can be somewhat more forgiving of that cut for the short term because the evening buses lost were primarily returning people home from education, hospitality industry jobs and leisure, all of which are suspended.

BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 13, 2020, 09:56:02 »

I've just been browsing RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) and certainly as far as my local station TWY (Twyford station) is concerned today's service is the same as for the rest of this week, i.e. there were fast trains to PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) at 0736 and 0807 (and yes they did run according to RTT) with returning services at 1650 and 1751. I can't ever recall there being any sort of fast train services at TWY on public holidays in the past - if there had been, then I would have definitely used them for a day in London!
TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 13, 2020, 15:51:56 »

There are certainly some strange outcomes from the bus timetable changes. While out for a walk yesterday I saw a Stagecoach X18 arrive in Pershore.
This is the Stratford on Avon to Evesham service and it includes 2 journeys extended to Pershore on a Sunday only.
Needless to say it was empty both ways.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 30, 2020, 11:14:30 »

I hear that GWR (Great Western Railway) are planning and expecting to step up services from the current emergency timetable (to an new enhanced emergency timetable) from 18th May.  There's been general talk nationwide of a Saturday type timetable, so we'll see if that's what we end up with.  I imagine that is conditional on lockdown restrictions being eased, as there's no point running anything more at the moment.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 09, 2020, 13:58:14 »

As I think is fairly common knowledge, the next major service uplift will be on Monday 14th September.  GWR (Great Western Railway) are planning on reinstating around 94% of weekday services (based on Dec 2019 levels), 90% on Saturday’s and 75% on Sunday’s.

There will be a few minor additions here and there before that, to try and cater for school demand and other areas where the trains are now filling up.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 22:28:07 by IndustryInsider » Logged

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #101 on: August 09, 2020, 14:14:20 »

As I think is fairly common knowledge, the next major service uplift will be on Monday 18th September.  GWR (Great Western Railway) are planning on reinstating around 94% of weekday services (based on Dec 2019 levels), 90% on Saturday’s and 75% on Sunday’s.

There will be a few minor additions here and there before that, to try and cater for school demand and other areas where the trains are now filling up.

Monday 14th, I suspect  Cheesy

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 09, 2020, 16:15:46 »

As I think is fairly common knowledge, the next major service uplift will be on Monday 18th September.  GWR (Great Western Railway) are planning on reinstating around 94% of weekday services (based on Dec 2019 levels), 90% on Saturday’s and 75% on Sunday’s.

Monday 14th, I suspect  Cheesy

Allowing for this happening, and with a potential rise in passengers, it's likely that there will still be social distancing and other measures in place - how will GWR ensure that these measures are observed and enforced where necessary?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 09, 2020, 22:42:03 »

Allowing for this happening, and with a potential rise in passengers, it's likely that there will still be social distancing and other measures in place - how will GWR (Great Western Railway) ensure that these measures are observed and enforced where necessary?

Perhaps one to ask GWR direct via customer services or Twitter for an official response?

A few points from me though on social distancing on public transport, some of which have been touched on before:

1)  It's very difficult to ensure 100% compliance with social distancing guidelines.  In fact, the way the rail industry operates it's impossible, just as it is in many other industries.
2)  They are only guidelines, not the law.
3)  It's not a problem at the moment on the vast majority of trains, and I personally doubt it will be much of a problem any time soon...
4)  ...but it is sometimes gonna happen.
5)  I have seen a few trains where social distancing is perfectly possible, but people are choosing to sit closely to others and in aisle seats.
6)  Barring serious transgressions, and as with many other places where the public mingle, it is unlikely staff are going to wade in and get too involved.  The police might do, but obviously can't be everywhere at once.
7)  If it was to get too bad, then the risk of an increased infection rate would probably force the government to react...by making rail travel for key workers only again!

CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 10, 2020, 06:44:57 »

On my limited experience it is much more of an issue on SWR» (South Western Railway - about) on lines to the coast; e.g. Brighton and Bournemouth. Not sure what it is like in similar situations on GWR (Great Western Railway), as II suggests no great problem in the Reading, Oxford area.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
  Print  

Jump to: