Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:08 Newbury to Bedwyn
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
10:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:41 Westbury to Bristol Temple Meads
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 09:28:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[159] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[68] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[63] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[62] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[38] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: TVMs at very small stations [DotD - 20.3.2020]  (Read 2375 times)
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2020, 10:45:39 »

I thought it was also for people who wanted to pay in cash? (Theoretically even cheque; would a conductor accept a cheque? If so, I imagine it would be with reluctance)

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2020, 15:34:31 »

Just been for a walk and called in at Pershore station.

As can be seen from the attched photo there has not been any more progress with the TVM (Ticket Vending Machine) since the 26th February when the base was cast.

The car park was almost empty only 2 cars normally at 10am on a Saturday I would expect at least 15.

I did not see any trains as the next one was not due until 10:28 so no Idea of loadings.
Marlburian

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2020, 17:50:45 »

The TVM (Ticket Vending Machine) at Tilehurst (and perhaps other stations up to Didcot) has only accepted cards for some years after a series of raids. Dunno what younger people do - queue up at the excess fairs windows at Reading?

The Tilehurst one is out in the open and becomes a bit erratic when it's raining; and it went through a phase of not recognising my credit card that was perfectly "readable" by other terminals. The worse thing is not so much tapping in one's pin code - and I'm always able to use "contactless" - but scrabbling around in the drawer for three tickets (out, return and receipt). Moisture gathers there and twice I've ended up with the three tickets stuck together.

(And there's minor subsidence where one stands to operate the machine.)
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2020, 17:57:41 »

... excess fairs ...

Now there's an accidental usage that never had a likely meaning until a couple of weeks ago!
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2020, 21:38:04 »

The TVM (Ticket Vending Machine) at Tilehurst (and perhaps other stations up to Didcot) has only accepted cards for some years after a series of raids. Dunno what younger people do - queue up at the excess fairs windows at Reading?
The few that don't have a card will presumably do the same as anyone else; which I imagine is as you say, pay at their destination station if they can't pay in cash on the train. You can get a debit card of some sort from at least age 6, I doubt kids younger than that will be travelling unaccompanied.

MVR S&T
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2020, 22:20:16 »

I would expect this will be the perfect excuse opertunity to remove ALL cash acepting machines, and not just on the railways, car parks in my BCP area are going that way anyway.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2020, 07:09:32 »

... this will be the perfect excuse opportunity to ... and not just ....

My selective quoting.   It's likely that there will be changes when things come back - things will be different.  The balance between opportunities - where the changes are for the good of the customer, and excuses - where changes may not be in the customer's interest, but are operationally or business convenient, is a concern.

We should look to Sir Keir Starmer, to Transport Focus, to TravelWatch SouthWest, to our MPs (Member of Parliament), and to our local Community Rail Networks who have "critical friend" in their job descriptions to help as many opportunities as practical be fast tracked, with as few excuses as possible offered, and even fewer accepted.   

The Coffee Shop, too, may have a minor role in helping people differentiate between opportunities and excuse. Should all TVMs (Ticket Vending Machine) go cashless, or not??

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Bob_Blakey
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2020, 08:27:26 »

... Should all TVMs (Ticket Vending Machine) go cashless, or not??

No. While cash remains legal tender - I suppose the banks might eventually get their way and force us to accept a completely cashless society - all goods & services providers, with some obvious exceptions such as online shopping portals, should be required to accept it as a form of payment.

The only qualification to this statement I would add is that there are / will be a number of locations where the resident ne'er-do-wells are likely to try and use cash-accepting TVM's as their own personal ATM(resolve)'s. In these instances alternative arrangements would be appropriate but, at least initially, I would prefer these to be in the form of better security measures rather than the complete withdrawal of a socially useful service. 
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2020, 09:42:56 »

No. While cash remains legal tender - I suppose the banks might eventually get their way and force us to accept a completely cashless society - all goods & services providers, with some obvious exceptions such as online shopping portals, should be required to accept it as a form of payment.

The only qualification to this statement I would add is that there are / will be a number of locations where the resident ne'er-do-wells are likely to try and use cash-accepting TVM's as their own personal ATM(resolve)'s. In these instances alternative arrangements would be appropriate but, at least initially, I would prefer these to be in the form of better security measures rather than the complete withdrawal of a socially useful service. 

My view is that, yes, all TVMs should go cashless.  As long as people can still pay by cash at ticket offices, on trains and at barriers (and not get penalised for it), that's the key thing.

Removes the theft element and all the cost of handling the cash taken in machines.  Should (you would expect) reduce vandalism too.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2020, 13:10:14 »

The machines in Bristol libraries (for paying for printing, fines, etc) only accept cash, which strikes me as odd. Of course, they're all closed at the moment anyway.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2020, 12:18:44 »

No. While cash remains legal tender ...
My view is that, yes, all TVMs should go cashless.  As long as ...

Can I agree with both of you?

When I did my learning (self-education) tours of the North East late last spring, I was struck by the TVMs at even tiny stations (exceptions noted at Chathill and Teeside Airport) with an ability to issue a permit to travel - a no charge ticket at the press of a button, available if you wanted to pay by cash or the required ticket wasn't available for some reason. 

There's a subtle difference between a cashless TVM (which these in the North East are) and a machine that requires you to have a debit or credit card in order to travel, unless you are preticketed - which (those in the North East are not).    I am happy with the North East solution ... less happy with the GWR (Great Western Railway) approach of plastering the station with plastering stations about penalty fares, with exceptions (like "I'm paying by cash") in the small print, and with the need to explain to on train crew why you have no ticket.  The "permit to travel" provides a re-assurance to the passenger - evidence to back his starting station story, and evidence to the train manager or exit gate operator of where the person really joined.

So - provided that the customer is properly looked out for (which is not always the case with GWR!), happy for TVMs to be cashless.   Now - looking at really big stations ... there IS a case still for TVMs that accept cash as a queue busting facility ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2020, 13:37:56 »

When I did my learning (self-education) tours of the North East late last spring, I was struck by the TVMs (Ticket Vending Machine) at even tiny stations (exceptions noted at Chathill and Teeside Airport) with an ability to issue a permit to travel - a no charge ticket at the press of a button, available if you wanted to pay by cash or the required ticket wasn't available for some reason. 

That's a great idea.  Hope GWR (Great Western Railway) adopt it.
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2020, 15:47:02 »

I just wonder if Denton or Reddish South stations have TVMs (Ticket Vending Machine)Cheesy

A Cashless Society, might be the aim of the banks, but in the case of War, a cashless society would likely collapse.  Huh
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: