Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 10:55 28 Mar 2024
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
* How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Delayed
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
07:48 London Paddington to Swansea
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:23 Southampton Central to Bristol Temple Meads
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 10:57:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[182] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[70] Return of the BRUTE?
[56] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[44] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[24] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 72
  Print  
Author Topic: Portishead Line reopening for passengers - ongoing discussion  (Read 384388 times)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #1020 on: January 16, 2023, 19:08:35 »

The only stations included in the current scheme are Pilning Pill and Portishead.

Edit by RogerW 1930 16/01
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 19:34:30 by rogerw » Logged

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: January 19, 2023, 21:44:38 »

Stop press, the real reason that the Portishead line achieved it's DCO (Driver Controlled Operation) in the age of celebrity "culture".

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/celebs-tv/frasier-star-kelsey-grammer-buys-8043921
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: January 19, 2023, 22:06:30 »

Stop press, the real reason that the Portishead line achieved it's DCO (Driver Controlled Operation) in the age of celebrity "culture".

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/celebs-tv/frasier-star-kelsey-grammer-buys-8043921

Cheers for that link.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: January 20, 2023, 08:45:52 »

The line has had its annual vegetation clearance and looks as if trains could be running tomorrow ! If only.... Huh
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1024 on: January 20, 2023, 09:05:43 »

The line has had its annual vegetation clearance and looks as if trains could be running tomorrow ! If only.... Huh

There are sometimes you wish that this was possible:

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: January 20, 2023, 20:27:05 »

Just in time for the new Frasier series, with Nicholas Lyndhurst.

(I knew someone who was in a film starring Kelsey Grammar, a rather fractious French man who lived next door but one to us. He played a rather fractious French waiter.)

Now, please!
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: February 07, 2023, 10:26:55 »

According to Network Rail:
Commuters between Portishead and Bristol are a step closer to benefitting from a new rail link as the project to restore the disused railway through North Somerset reaches a new milestone.

Network Rail has appointed VolkerFitzpatrick as the primary contractor for the programme, which will see stations built in Pill and Portishead as part of the Government’s Restoring Your Railway scheme. The appointment of VolkerFitzpatrick follows the Department for Transport announcement of planning consent in November last year.

The £6.14m contract is part of the scheme to reopen the line, which is funded by the Government’s Restoring Your Railway fund, Department for Transport, West of England Combined Authority and North Somerset Council.

Once complete, the new passenger service will connect 50,000 residents to the railway network by reopening a line that was closed in 1964. The scheme is part of the MetroWest programme, which will bring suburban services to more stations across the west of England.

Over the next 12-18 months the project will complete the detailed design phase, as well as ground and ecology surveys and enabling works, while preparing the full business case for decision makers.

"Decision makers" is ominous, isn't it? By definition, if a decision is to be made, it can go either way (or there can be more than two options to choose from). But at least the cart is still trundling on down the road, even if the horse is stalled waiting for that case* of business to be delivered.

* Presumably twelve bottles? Though at this point my metaphors are in a tangled mess under the sofa.
sprinterguard

View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: February 09, 2023, 15:08:21 »

The comment about "while preparing the full business case for decision makers." is somewhat worrying. Hopefully that means what dull shade of grey concrete to use at Portishead station rather than binning off the whole project.

All opinions are my own.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1028 on: February 09, 2023, 15:21:59 »

Would this be referring to GBR (Great British Railways) being set up in the meantime & future decisions being taken by them as 'decision makers', not the DfT» (Department for Transport - about)?
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: February 09, 2023, 15:53:56 »

I don't think we should read to much into this.

The current phase (should I say era? Aeon?) of the project is the preparation of detailed designs and the full business case. Having looked at the full DCO (Driver Controlled Operation) pack, I am surprised that there is still design and business case work to do, but we are where we are. As to the business case: this is the final part of the DCO process. And who better to make that decision than a Decision Maker?

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: February 09, 2023, 19:23:31 »

I don't think we should read to much into this.

The current phase (should I say era? Aeon?) of the project is the preparation of detailed designs and the full business case. Having looked at the full DCO (Driver Controlled Operation) pack, I am surprised that there is still design and business case work to do, but we are where we are. As to the business case: this is the final part of the DCO process. And who better to make that decision than a Decision Maker?

I have been a Decision Maker in another area of the public domain. That doesn't matter much - it just seems rather radical to have someone actually making decisions on the Portishead line. As to the current phase*, we might just slip from Jurassic to Cretaceous this time. With the ink dry on the VolkerFitzpatrick contract, I should imagine that the decisions to be made will be more "How" than "If".

*Not that sort, ET.

Now, please!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1031 on: February 27, 2023, 17:37:55 »

I think we've been here before - from North Somerset Times

In an interview with Radio Bristol on February 14, Steve Bridger, the leader of North Somerset Council, confirmed that plans to reopen Portishead Railway will be going ahead.

Barry Cash, a member of the Portishead Busway Campaign, is questioning this decision. He says: "Mayor Norris and North Somerset Council plan to spend £152 million re-opening the Portishead railway line.

"Yet a dedicated bus route would provide a better service. This would cost about £20m. That leaves about £130m to spend on the missing buses. Forty-Two bus services, subsidised by local Councils, will cease in April.

"The planning has cost £21m and taken 21 years, without moving a single passenger. A train may have been a good idea 21 years ago. Times change."

There are also concerns regarding the impact that this could have on our fragile climate. Barry continues: "The major issue is that rather than helping with the climate crisis, year on year the reopened railway would significantly increase net greenhouse gas emissions.

"Reinstating the trains will increase greenhouse gases by 1000 tonnes per annum. What is the point of running nearly empty trains doing 2 mpg, especially in a climate emergency? A bus doing 11mpg makes more sense."

The case for buses with the figures given still looks like a colander to me, and the rail case presented with a different and negative bias to the road case. I do agree that the 21 years is too long.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: February 27, 2023, 22:13:58 »

Barry Cash, a member of the Portishead Busway Campaign

"A" member, or "The" member?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 07:33:05 by TonyK » Logged

Now, please!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: February 28, 2023, 11:00:57 »

In an interview with Radio Bristol on February 14, Steve Bridger, the leader of North Somerset Council, confirmed that plans to reopen Portishead Railway will be going ahead.

Barry Cash, a member of the Portishead Busway Campaign, is questioning this decision. He says: "Mayor Norris and North Somerset Council plan to spend £152 million re-opening the Portishead railway line.

"Yet a dedicated bus route would provide a better service. This would cost about £20m. That leaves about £130m to spend on the missing buses. Forty-Two bus services, subsidised by local Councils, will cease in April.

"The planning has cost £21m and taken 21 years, without moving a single passenger. A train may have been a good idea 21 years ago. Times change."

There are also concerns regarding the impact that this could have on our fragile climate. Barry continues: "The major issue is that rather than helping with the climate crisis, year on year the reopened railway would significantly increase net greenhouse gas emissions.

"Reinstating the trains will increase greenhouse gases by 1000 tonnes per annum. What is the point of running nearly empty trains doing 2 mpg, especially in a climate emergency? A bus doing 11mpg makes more sense."

The case for buses with the figures given still looks like a colander to me, and the rail case presented with a different and negative bias to the road case. I do agree that the 21 years is too long.

I had a civilised chat with Barry Cash at the 'Future of Transport in Bristol' meeting on Saturday. His position was that transport planners should look to the future, not the past, for solutions. On that we could agree. We didn't agree on how these terms should be defined, however!

Barry has a history of opposing the Portishead Railway and has proposed a number of alternatives. His latest idea appears to involve laying a road up the gorge. This would presumably involve some widening of the trackbed to allow buses to pass, along with crash barriers and other interventions. Might be difficult in a SSSI, and it's not clear how the existing freight trains fit into his plan. My guess is that £20 million is a low estimate.

I could propose that Community Payback people with wire brushes could reopen the line for quite a lot less than Barry's £20 million, but that would be just as absurd.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2023, 11:41:13 by Red Squirrel » Logged

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1034 on: March 01, 2023, 14:15:48 »

Barry has a history of opposing the Portishead Railway and has proposed a number of alternatives. His latest idea ...

I could propose that Community Payback people with wire brushes could reopen the line for quite a lot less than Barry's £20 million, but that would be just as absurd.

Has anyone suggested one of these, thus sharing the waterway's footprint without digging an underground.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 72
  Print  

Jump to: