21:07 Gloucester to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
22:00 Hereford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 00:59:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[276] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[265] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[45] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[40] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[19] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[18] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 72
  Print  
Author Topic: Portishead Line reopening for passengers - ongoing discussion  (Read 389318 times)
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #975 on: July 10, 2022, 15:22:22 »

We now learn that Marvin Rees hasn’t banned the LDR’s; however he has stopped inviting them to his press briefings. To explain the distinction, he says that if he has a birthday party and doesn’t invite you that doesn’t mean you’re banned.

Hmm.

I should imagine his next birthday is going to be a bit of a dour affair, probably spent watching movies on DVD. I might suggest "Dead Man Walking" to him, as I might to the Prime Minister. The book is by a nun, Helen Prejean, so would be right up his street. I've read it, it's very good. There isn't a happy ending.

Now, please!
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #976 on: July 27, 2022, 19:45:29 »

From the North Somerset Times

Portishead Railway project boosted by £15million funding
A £156million plan which would reopen the Portishead Railway line has received a healthy chunk of Government funding

The Department for Transport (DfT» (Department for Transport - about)) has granted more than £15 million of funding for the MetroWest Phase One scheme, which includes plans to reopen the Portishead railway line.

Uncertainty has loomed over the railway's reopening with 'environmental issues and inflation' threatening to derail the project.

The MetroWest plans aim to rejuvenate public transport in the South West by giving train access to 80,000 more residents with North Somerset's Portishead and Pill rail stations set to be reopened.

North Somerset Council leader, Steve Bridger, said he was 'thrilled' to hear the DfT was to pump another £15.5m of funding into the scheme - on top of the council's £10m pledge.

Cllr Bridger said: “This is more good news for Portishead, Pill and the region.

"As part of MetroWest Phase 1, Portishead rail is one of our key schemes with the potential to transform the area through greener travel, access to jobs and sustainable economic growth.

“I am thrilled that our commitment and determination is paying dividends and has brought the rail line a step closer to becoming a reality for our residents."

Projected capital costs for the scheme had risen to £152m earlier in the year as a result of the approval of the scheme’s Development Consent Order (DCO (Driver Controlled Operation)) taking longer than anticipated and 'unprecedented global increases to the cost of energy, labour and construction materials'.

This rise in cost created a shortfall of £35.5m - leading to North Somerset Council's £10m pledge and the DfT funds.

The West of England Combined Authority (WECA» (West of England Combined Authority - about)), will meet on Friday (July 29) to reach an agreement on contributing a further £10m, which would close the remaining funding gap.

The MetroWest project will also include train services upgraded on the Severn Beach line and between Bath Spa and Bristol Temple Meads.

Cllr Bridger added: "I would like to thank our officers, my councillor colleagues, our West of England Combined Authority partners, the Department for Transport, Liam Fox MP (Member of Parliament) and the rail minister for their continued efforts in pushing this much-anticipated scheme forward.”

Portishead and Pill railway lines are currently scheduled to reopen in 2024.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #977 on: July 27, 2022, 19:57:22 »

Well goodness gracious me.

Here's North Som's press release: https://www.n-somerset.gov.uk/news/additional-funding-secured-deliver-portishead-rail-line

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #978 on: July 27, 2022, 20:35:43 »

Hurrah....just the small matter of the DCO (Driver Controlled Operation) then.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #979 on: July 27, 2022, 22:07:05 »

Hurrah....just the small matter of the DCO (Driver Controlled Operation) then.

Unless approving the business case isn't a formality ...
The additional funding will be subject to Department for Transport approval of the scheme’s full business case and the DCO, as well as the £10m in funding from both North Somerset Council and the West of England Combined Authority.
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #980 on: July 27, 2022, 22:07:44 »

Grant Shapps has already said he is minded to approve the DCO (Driver Controlled Operation)....but what will a new SoS think ??
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #981 on: July 28, 2022, 13:29:43 »

The scheme which WECA» (West of England Combined Authority - about) will vote on on Fri 29th includes the following changes:

o Reduction of scope to bring the existing freight line up to passenger train line standards
o Reduction of Portishead and Pill platform lengths from 5-Car to 3-Car
o Removal of Portishead Station building
o Reduction in selected highway scope (car parks, bridge works)
o Change in governance model, with DfT» (Department for Transport - about) taking on the client role.

Worth noting that the report considers, and discounts, the option of cancelling the project.

The full report is here:

https://westofengland-ca.moderngov.co.uk/documents/s5167/MetroWest%201%20Portishead%20Line.pdf

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #982 on: July 28, 2022, 14:17:18 »

Presumably 3-car units would be sufficient for off peak usage but could they cope with expected peak time demand? (perhaps they could if commuting doesn't fully return to pre-Covid levels)

Also, am I right in thinking that the intention was always that services from Portishead would continue after Temple Meads as local services to Bath? Or have I just dreamed that one up.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #983 on: July 28, 2022, 14:51:46 »

o Reduction of Portishead and Pill platform lengths from 5-Car to 3-Car

Noting the stations on the way to "The Beach" can now only take 3 carriages ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #984 on: July 28, 2022, 16:46:58 »

Do you actually save much by building a reduced length of platform? I would have thought most of the costs went on land acquisition, laying on the infrastructure needed (electricity etc) and clearing and building the foundations. I would have thought the extra cost involved in a longer platform wouldn't be much.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #985 on: July 28, 2022, 23:36:37 »

Do you actually save much by building a reduced length of platform? I would have thought most of the costs went on land acquisition, laying on the infrastructure needed (electricity etc) and clearing and building the foundations. I would have thought the extra cost involved in a longer platform wouldn't be much.

Next to nowt at Pill, I would have thought, given that there is already a long platform in situ.

Note revised opening date: of 2026...

chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #986 on: July 29, 2022, 00:10:32 »

For as long as I can remember since this whole sorry saga started, the opening date ALWAYS seems to be 4 years away.

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #987 on: July 29, 2022, 10:11:54 »

It's the rail equivalent of nuclear fusion.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #988 on: July 29, 2022, 13:12:18 »

An extraordinary meeting of the West of England Combined Authority Committee will be held on Friday 29 July, at 1pm at Ashton Gate Stadium, Ashton Road, Bristol, BS3 2EJ.

The meeting will discuss contributing an additional £10m to help deliver MetroWest Phase 1, which includes reopening the Portishead to Bristol rail line. The meeting will be chaired by the Metro Mayor Dan Norris and attended by Bath & North East Somerset, Bristol City and South Gloucestershire Councils who will vote on this matter.

For more details and agendas visit: www.westofengland-ca.gov.uk/meetings.

What makes this meeting even more extraordinary, is that it is being held at Ashton Gate (almost in North Somerset) , is about the line that is 80% in North Somerset,  is next door to the line, and yet North Somerset representatives aren't invited ! You couldn't make it up!. I just hope they can hear us yelling JFDI (just flipping do it (polite version)) from over the border at 150 decibels.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #989 on: July 29, 2022, 14:35:50 »

And at that meeting:

Go on, Shapps and DfT» (Department for Transport - about), I dare you to say no again!

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 72
  Print  

Jump to: