I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 20:35 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:20 Reading to Shalford
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:11 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 19:40 Redhill to Reading
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 20:43:28 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[118] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[116] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[89] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[38] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[28] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 72
  Print  
Author Topic: Portishead Line reopening for passengers - ongoing discussion  (Read 384501 times)
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: April 10, 2012, 18:11:56 »

Tunneling under the railway may not be as daft as it sounds at first. Look at St Lukes Road, Bedminster, where the road drops under the railway bridge. GRIP3 report suggests a road bridge over the railway, dropping rather sharply to a T-junction at the A369. The embankment to raise the road level will not go down well with the locals, even if it does get them a railway. I guess the final solution will have something to do with cost - is a rail bridge more expensive than a road bridge?

Now, please!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #181 on: May 13, 2012, 20:33:40 »

From the Weston Mercury:

Summer rail repairs planned

Network Rail plans to replace or repair sections of the track which connects Portbury Docks with Bristol at Pill Tunnel and Pill Station.

Concerns have been raised that this work, which will keep the track at standards necessary for freight trains, will have been of little use if approval is soon given for the line to be upgraded for passenger trains between Portishead and Bristol.

However, a Network Rail spokesman has confirmed the work would need to be done even if the track was later upgrade and by carrying out the Government-funded scheme this summer, this will cut ^2million off the cost of reopening the line for passengers.

The spokesman said: ^This work needs to be done. By doing it now it means it won^t then need to be done later on. This means it will complement the scheme to reopen the track as a passenger line.^

Reopening the passenger line from Portishead to Bristol, which would require a new station in Portishead and intermediate stations in Pill and Ashton Gate, is expected to cost about ^50million.

North Somerset Council and Bristol City Council hope to make a case for Government funding for the project at the next opportunity.

The recently-formed Greater Bristol Metro Rail Group is also campaigning for its creation to be included in the requirements set out to whichever company takes on the Great Western Rail franchise, which will run from April 2013.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 14, 2012, 16:28:46 »

Presumably, this is to fix the drainage problem. I love the figures quoted though - is it ^33 million or ^50 million to Portishead? And I can't see Filton Bank being quadrupled for ^7 million, really.

Still, good news!

Now, please!
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 16, 2012, 18:42:59 »

Big update - see http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=551.msg114547#msg114547

Now, please!
centralman

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 31, 2012, 22:59:02 »

Just to say FGW (First Great Western) are running trains down the portbury part of the line on the 29th September during the Community Rail Festival Smiley

http://www.fgwevents.co.uk/communityrailfestival/

5 trains, booking in advance only and only the first 100 people will get on.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #185 on: September 01, 2012, 00:12:48 »

Thanks for helping to publicise this, centralman.  Wink

See also http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=11167.0  Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

ACE

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 19, 2012, 16:59:53 »

Just to say FGW (First Great Western) are running trains down the portbury part of the line on the 29th September during the Community Rail Festival Smiley

http://www.fgwevents.co.uk/communityrailfestival/

5 trains, booking in advance only and only the first 100 people will get on.
Was Going but...
A comedy of errors...
Applied for two tickets for the 11.08, got a reply saying 'all tickets had gone', shame
Then got another email from 'Vicky Cropper' at FGW saying that an extra coach had been added (assuming it's a 153) and that i had then been successful, tickets would be with the lucky applicants by last Friday...they never arrived, also received another email from 'V.C' at FGW saying there was a print error on the tickets and to bring them to the gates on platform 8 and it would be sorted so all that were booked could catch the respective trains on the day...How can I do that when I didn't get my tickets??? Emailed her back with my 'problem', received an email saying 'she is now on holiday' and to contact someone else.
I have now given up and will go to Bodmin Railway Diesel Running day on the 29th instead
Therefore , FGW, thanks for nothing basically...wonderful P.R...NOT
But good luck to all who will enjoy the day and trips

Western Region Rocker
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 19, 2012, 23:24:27 »

I was down Pill way recently, garlic and crucifix close to hand just in case, and had a quick butchers at the station. Last time I was there was a few months back, and the disused southernmost platform was piled high with ballast. It isn't now:

Is this to do with the tunnel works?

Now, please!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #188 on: January 18, 2013, 23:31:24 »

From the Western Daily Press:

MP Liam Fox signals Portishead railway line return is on the cards

Fifty years after the infamous Beeching Report signalled its closure, the clearest sign yet that Portishead will once again get a railway line has emerged.

Dr Liam Fox, the former defence secretary and Conservative MP for North Somerset, has revealed he is more hopeful than ever before that the rail line to the fast-growing North Somerset town will reopen by 2017.

Liam Fox on the disused rail line at Portishead with former Tory transport spokesman Chris Grayling

Portishead lost its rail line in September 1964 as a consequence of a review into the viability of Britain^s loss-making branch railways by Dr Richard Beeching. Almost ever since there have been campaigns to restore it, but finally ^ it seems ^ the project just might be making headway.

Dr Fox said he has been talking to government ministers and said he is more ^upbeat than on any previous time^ about the prospect of seeing trains running to Portishead once again.

The move has come just weeks after Network Rail, the organisation which operates train tracks across the country, said that the line is a part of its business plan for the next five years. Dr Fox took part in a meeting with Transport Minister Simon Burns along with rail campaigners from North Somerset.

He said: ^We were all very optimistic following the information that the minister was able to give us. I hope that we will now see trains running in 2017 and expect that we will get a definitive announcement on dates and funding in Parliament before the summer recess.^

Bristol^s new mayor has also been pushing for the line to be reopened as part of the plans for the Bristol Metro scheme. George Ferguson wants the rail network in the Bristol area to link up with the new Rapid Transit Network system.

Money would have to be spent on upgrading the track from Portbury Dock as it is not of a good enough standard to run passenger services. The track is currently only used by freight trains which carry coal and cars from Royal Portbury Dock to locations across the country. The track was reopened in the 1990s to freight and is capable of taking trains at speeds of up to 30mph, while passenger trains operate at speeds of up to 60mph. Further work will also have to be carried at the Pill tunnel to improve drainage.

Long-time transport campaigner David Redgewell said: ^I would say that the signs coming out of central Government are looking very promising at the moment.^

TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 19, 2013, 15:59:01 »

Slightly more detail on the same story in the Bristol Post:

MP Liam Fox signals high hopes for Portishead rail line return

THE clearest sign yet that Portishead is to get its long-awaited rail link within the next four years has come from a former Government minister.

Dr Liam Fox, the Conservative MP for North Somerset, has revealed he is more hopeful than ever before that the rail line to Portishead will reopen by 2017.
 ​
The former Defence Secretary said he has been talking to government ministers and said he is more "upbeat than on any previous time" about the prospect of seeing trains running to Portishead once again.

The move has come just weeks after Network Rail, the organisation which operates train tracks across the country, said that the line is a part of its business plan for the next five years.

Dr Fox took part in a meeting with Transport Minister Simon Burns along with rail campaigners from North Somerset.

He said: "We were all very optimistic following the information that the Minister was able to give us.

" I hope that we will now see trains running in 2017 and expect that we will get a definitive announcement on dates and funding in Parliament before the summer recess."

Dr Fox went on to say that the efforts of Portishead Railway Group, North Somerset Council and the hundreds of local residents have helped in the campaign to get the line reinstated.

Bristol's new mayor has also been pushing for the line to be reopened as part of the plans for the Bristol Metro scheme. George Ferguson wants the rail network in the Bristol area to link up with the new Rapid Transit Network system.

People living in Portishead have been campaigning for more than a decade to get the line reopened to passenger trains.

Money would have to be spent on upgrading the six-mile section of the track from Portbury Dock as it is not of a good enough standard to run passenger services.

The track is currently only used by freight trains which carry coal and cars from Royal Portbury Dock to locations across the country.

The track was reopened in the 1990s to freight and is capable of taking trains at speeds of up to 30mph, while passenger trains operate at speeds of up to 60mph.

The existing track could be used, but major realignment work would be needed and some new lines would have to be laid. Further work will also have to be carried at the Pill tunnel to improve drainage and lines.

Long-time transport campaigner David Redgewell said: "I would say that the signs coming out of central Government and the Ministry of Transport are looking very promising at the moment.

"This is a key part of the Bristol Metro and something we have been campaigning for for a very long time. As I said, all the signals are looking very promising at the moment."

There is some concern that the process will be held up by the uncertainty surrounding the bidding for the rail franchise. The bidding was put on hold following the scandal surrounding the West Coast Main Line and major mistakes made at the Department for Transport. The issue was supposed to be settled in March but there are suggestions that First Great Western, which currently operates the franchise, will carry on for another two years.

A spokesperson for the rail operator said: "We are very pleased that the support for Bristol Metro continues to gain support and momentum from the Government.

"We are continuing to work with all the authorities to move the plans forward."

The first phase of the long-awaited Greater Bristol Metro is expected to be opened in 2017 and would include the reopening of the Portishead line to passenger services and half-hourly trains on the Severn Beach line.

Phase Two of the Metro, which will provide local train services in the Bristol area, is not likely to be completed until 2018/21.

It includes half-hourly services to Yate and provides new services on the Henbury line.

Now, please!
swrural

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 19, 2013, 18:55:24 »

It read like a PPB to me.  All around the country I am reading in local press releases about local MPs (Member of Parliament) and the like all claiming that NR» (Network Rail - home page)'s announced plans are solely or chiefly down to their efforts  ('I've been pressing this at the highest level') .   Sad

Dave Redgewell gave the right diplomatic quote.  Just say you are grateful and spur them on while the going's good.

Forgive this old cynic but I know how the local party agents work.  I expect some of you do too.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 11:33:24 by swrural » Logged
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 21, 2013, 17:38:56 »

It read like a PPB to me.  All around the country I am reading in local press releases about local MP (Member of Parliament)'s and the like all claiming that NR» (Network Rail - home page)'s announced plans are solely or chiefly down to their efforts  ('I've been pressing this at the highest level') .   Sad

I tend to agree with you, swrural. "The highest level" is presumably the Prime Minister, unless he has the ear of the queen. In terms of national spending, this is a relatively minor project, and it is frustrating that so much gets said and so little done. Having a fairly senior MP and former minister banging on about it from time to time is probably necessary, though, lest poor old Posset be forgotten. I am sure Dr Fox will not be slow to claim the credit when it happens.

Now, please!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #192 on: January 21, 2013, 21:20:59 »

To be fair, Dr Liam Fox MP (Member of Parliament) has been a far more active and consistent supporter of the Portishead Line reopening campaign than certain members of North Somerset Council ...  Roll Eyes

TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 21, 2013, 22:06:11 »

To be fair, Dr Liam Fox MP (Member of Parliament) has been a far more active and consistent supporter of the Portishead Line reopening campaign than certain members of North Somerset Council ...  Roll Eyes

The Elfan in the room? I'm aware that Dr Liam has done what he can to keep the pot boiling

Now, please!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #194 on: January 21, 2013, 22:13:55 »

The Elfan in the room?

"You may very well think that: I couldn't possibly comment."  (Francis UrquhartWink Cheesy Grin

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 72
  Print  

Jump to: