Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
18th Apr (2018)
SEWWEB leaflet launched and Aztec West (link)

Train RunningDelayed
23:48 Bristol Temple Meads to Exeter St Davids
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 18, 2024, 01:38:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[59] IETs at Melksham
[53] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[49] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[46] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[34] Signage - not making it easy ...
[20] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 72
  Print  
Author Topic: Portishead Line reopening for passengers - ongoing discussion  (Read 388957 times)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: February 26, 2014, 20:58:10 »

Blooming frustrating, all this waiting...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #316 on: February 26, 2014, 21:18:13 »

Although I doubt you will get anyone to admit it, I have always rather suspected that Portishead isnt pushed to completion because they fear demand would soon outstrip the amount of rolling stock you could reasonably allocate to what would be a frequency restricted service due to infrastructure constraints.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: February 26, 2014, 22:23:17 »

Although I doubt you will get anyone to admit it, I have always rather suspected that Portishead isnt pushed to completion because they fear demand would soon outstrip the amount of rolling stock you could reasonably allocate to what would be a frequency restricted service due to infrastructure constraints.

I think this is very likely.  If Ebbw Vale can take off as well as it did in a less-than-ideal economic period, then I think demand from Portishead and Pill could easily outstrip an hourly Class 150 (or similar) from the beginning, particularly in the peak.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: February 27, 2014, 13:35:32 »

The now lapsed GRIP3 report envisaged half-hourly services, 4-car at peak, 2-car off peak.

Now, please!
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #319 on: February 27, 2014, 14:43:02 »

The now lapsed GRIP3 report envisaged half-hourly services, 4-car at peak, 2-car off peak.

GRIP3 report envisaged hourly services off-peak. The report also made the point that the proposed service will meet current demand, but offers no judgement regarding future growth.

Therefore, it is not beyond the realms of possibility that demand could outstrip capacity very quickly, and with platforms restricted to 4-coach, it would be interesting to see what the fallback plan is.

Now, don't get me wrong - I think you need to be bold and build it. I can see why a rather less bold status quo might fear the consequences, though.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: February 27, 2014, 17:50:32 »

I can see why a rather less bold status quo might fear the consequences, though.

Agreed - it will wreck the MetroBust ridership and the LA Park & Ride.

Now, please!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #321 on: February 27, 2014, 19:00:03 »

Now, don't get me wrong - I think you need to be bold and build it. I can see why a rather less bold status quo might fear the consequences, though.

4 car trains at peak hours, and you're probably looking at 3 trains so a total of 12 cars of dmu. In current times, where there is a shortage of trains / vehicles of this type, a natural but unfortunate competition can develop between the advocates of new flow provision (which, by definition, do not have an established base of users) and the advocates of strengthening flow provision, where you do have that established base and it might be quite vocal.

As electrification rolls in and local Thames Valley diesel trains are released to run elsewhere, this may become less of an issue - or it may not if Cardiff / Portsmouth needs to go up to 6 cars, the second train in the hour from Bristol to Westbury always carries on to Weymouth, and so on.  And perhaps other new services such as Blackburn, Accrington and Burnley to Manchester may soak up others.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: February 27, 2014, 21:16:43 »

My head implodes at the thought that people don't do things because they might succeed. Maybe that's why I'm an engineer, not a politician.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #323 on: February 27, 2014, 21:38:01 »

You wouldnt have enjoyed being us in the lean TransWilts years then, RS.

On the upside, we've seen far more co-ordination and support from the official players since improved services got the green light, and this followed on from a gradual move toward genuine partnership that began some time before that.

John R

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: June 15, 2014, 12:56:03 »

http://www.travelwest.info/sites/default/files/documents/Portishead%20Rail%20Consultation%20LEAFLET.pdf

Looks like the option of a centrally sited station in Portishead has definitely been discounted.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: June 15, 2014, 23:19:08 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Portishead railway station location consultation begins

Potential locations for a new Portishead rail station are being discussed in a public consultation.

Proposals to re-open the line are part of a ^100m investment in the local area's rail infrastructure.

It was originally closed in 1964 and the revamp is part of the MetroWest Phase 1 project, being overseen by the West of England Partnership.

The project team has identified three potential station locations and is asking for comments.

North Somerset Council will use responses to decide later this year where the station will be located.

'Making progress'

The three locations under consideration are east of Quays Avenue, across Quays Avenue and between Serbert Road and Harbour Road.

The MetroWest Phase 1 project aims to reopen the Portishead line to passenger train services by Spring 2019.

The line will restore the rail link between the town and Bristol city centre.

Leader of North Somerset Council, Nigel Ashton, said: "There is still a lot to do before we could confirm re-opening the Portishead line, but we are making progress.

"Considering the viable options for a station is an important part of the project."

The proposals can be viewed and comments submitted online at the project website.

Two exhibitions are also being held at Portishead Methodist Church on 24 and 28 June.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
alan_s

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: June 24, 2014, 23:49:15 »

I popped along to the "exhibition" this evening - to be honest it didn't tell me anything I didn't already know from the website - though it was useful being able to see the maps greatly enlarged so it was clear exactly where things were going!

I still fail to understand why a level crossing is out of the question, when we're talking final approach to a dead end platform at about 10mph - and there is already a level crossing on the line near Ashton Gate - there is nothing about closing that one!

Alan
Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: June 29, 2014, 12:32:42 »

I popped along to the "exhibition" this evening - to be honest it didn't tell me anything I didn't already know from the website - though it was useful being able to see the maps greatly enlarged so it was clear exactly where things were going!

I still fail to understand why a level crossing is out of the question, when we're talking final approach to a dead end platform at about 10mph - and there is already a level crossing on the line near Ashton Gate - there is nothing about closing that one!

Alan

My understanding is that NEW level crossings have been banned anywhere, even on major infrastructure projects
alan_s

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: June 29, 2014, 20:59:16 »

major infrastructure projects I can understand, but not minor ones like this. 1 train per hour in each direction, under 10mph!  Wouldn't be a problem if this was a tram ...
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: June 29, 2014, 22:01:39 »

Wouldn't be a problem if this was a tram ...

But it isn't.  However, perhaps one day?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 72
  Print  

Jump to: