Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:08 Newbury to Bedwyn
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
10:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:41 Westbury to Bristol Temple Meads
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 09:30:05 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[159] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[68] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[63] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[62] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[38] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 72
  Print  
Author Topic: Portishead Line reopening for passengers - ongoing discussion  (Read 384678 times)
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: June 30, 2014, 08:13:09 »

Trainer and I agree to disagree on this. I cannot understand why NR» (Network Rail - home page) has to take a sledgehammer to crack a nut over the question of a level crossing at Quays Avenue. Anyone with half a brain can see it is the most obvious and cost effective solution. I just think NR should be told, cajoled, emailed and petitioned  time and time and time again , until they get sick of all the aggro, and just go ahead and  build the damn thing. The three existing options on the table for the station are second, third and fourth best respectively.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: June 30, 2014, 09:04:31 »

Anyone with half a brain can see it is the most obvious and cost effective solution. I just think NR» (Network Rail - home page) should be told, cajoled, emailed and petitioned  time and time and time again , until they get sick of all the aggro, and just go ahead and  build the damn thing. The three existing options on the table for the station are second, third and fourth best respectively.

It's a political thing. From every viewpoint except politics (and I include 'safety' when I say 'everything') it would be sensible to put in a level crossing... but just imagine the furore if someone then got hit by a train? The ramifications for the people who decided to build it would be severe. If, on the other hand, someone was killed crossing the road to get to the station - well that would be a whole different thing; the death of a person crossing a road is a hundred times less newsworthy than a level crossing death.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: June 30, 2014, 10:28:34 »

It is highly likely that if someone got hit by a train on aforesaid level crossing, it would be their own fault..as they would be trying to take a short cut, or jump the barriers/lights. As BNM has said 'level crossings are safe unless used in a unsafe manner
Network SouthEast

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: June 30, 2014, 10:33:33 »

Anyone with half a brain can see it is the most obvious and cost effective solution.
Whilst the capital cost of a level crossing may be favourable compared to a bridge, don't forget to use the other brain half to look at the other costs such as:

* On-going maintenance of the crossing
* Staff to monitor/operate crossing. Even where this can be done within an existing signal box, can the signallers deal with this amongst existing workloads, or are they even the correct level to do this (there are differing 'scales' of signalling responsibility/pressure).
* Cost to local economy through road traffic and pedestrian delays
* Cost to local environment though road traffic noise and pollution
* Death or injury through either misuse, error or failure
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #334 on: June 30, 2014, 10:42:17 »

As BNM has said 'level crossings are safe unless used in a unsafe manner

Erm ... that was CfN, not BNM.  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #335 on: June 30, 2014, 10:53:26 »

I still can't help contrasting the different levels of protection being necessary in Edinburgh on the new (light = tram) rail service opened up Princes Street in the heart of the city a few weeks ago, and in Portishead.  Is the answer in Portishead to use vehicles similar to those in use in Edinburgh  Grin

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: June 30, 2014, 11:15:46 »

Is the answer in Portishead to use vehicles similar to those in use in Edinburgh  Grin

That (ie tram/train) would be an ideal solution, but alas not on offer in the foreseeable future.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: June 30, 2014, 18:01:10 »

BNM also said it, but later.

Is the answer in Portishead to use vehicles similar to those in use in Edinburgh  Grin

That (ie tram/train) would be an ideal solution, but alas not on offer in the foreseeable future.

Tram-train would open up the possibility of a town centre loop, or even a route to Clevedon. It will not be quick in coming, but the trick is to make provision for it now. We're in this mess of having a station out of the centre largely because that wasn't done when Quays Avenue etc was built.

Anyone thought of lowering the road, and having the railway cross by bridge? St Lukes Road in Bedminster is my inspiration.

Now, please!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: June 30, 2014, 18:12:55 »

Anyone thought of lowering the road, and having the railway cross by bridge? St Lukes Road in Bedminster is my inspiration.

I'm sure we've all found St Luke's Rd a source of inspiration at some time in our lives...

I'm guessing that the cost of digging a cutting and its approaches is probably greater than the cost of embankments for a road overbridge - and the fact that it's all a bit close to sea level probably complicates things too.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
alan_s

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: June 30, 2014, 18:20:54 »

I'm sure we've all found St Luke's Rd a source of inspiration at some time in our lives...

I'm guessing that the cost of digging a cutting and its approaches is probably greater than the cost of embankments for a road overbridge - and the fact that it's all a bit close to sea level probably complicates things too.

The other thing you could do I guess is raise the railway - there's plenty of straight track to have gentle-ish incline; and then have the whole station elevated like much of the DLR (Docklands Light Railway) in London ...  Smiley

We could then extend and have the station right in the middle of the high street.   Wink
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #340 on: June 30, 2014, 19:39:59 »

BNM also said it, but later.

Indeed:

One of my fellow moderators, Chris from Nailsea, sums up the issue pretty succinctly in his forum signature:
'Level crossings on the railway network are safe - unless they are used in an unsafe manner.'

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: June 30, 2014, 19:46:29 »

Where others lead...  Tongue Wink Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: June 30, 2014, 20:37:40 »

Where others lead...  Tongue Wink Grin

A true tribute.

Now, please!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #343 on: June 30, 2014, 21:01:27 »

I cannot understand why NR» (Network Rail - home page) has to take a sledgehammer to crack a nut over the question of a level crossing at Quays Avenue. Anyone with half a brain can see it is the most obvious and cost effective solution. I just think NR should be told, cajoled, emailed and petitioned  time and time and time again, until they get sick of all the aggro, and just go ahead and build the damn thing. The three existing options on the table for the station are second, third and fourth best respectively.

You would need to change the mindset of the Office of Rail Regulation, too - they are directing Network Rail in such matters.

From the website of the Office of Rail Regulation:

Level crossings policy

Our policies and aims on level crossings are set out here. We also explain what we will to do to help ensure the risks from level crossings are properly controlled.

Great Britain's level crossing safety record is among the best in the world, but every incident has the potential for significant human and economic loss. Level crossings are the single biggest source of railway catastrophic risk, but overall the risks are well managed.

We seek to influence dutyholders and others to reduce risk at Britain's level crossings. We do this through a variety of means ranging from advice to formal enforcement action. We check that preventive and protective measures are implemented in accordance with the principles of prevention set out in the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999.

Risk control should, where practicable, be achieved through the removal of level crossings and replacing them with bridges, underpasses or diversions. Where removal is not possible, we aim to ensure that duty holders reduce risk so far as is reasonably practicable and in accordance with the principles of protection.

As the safety regulator for Britain's railways, our role is to provide clear advice and enforce relevant legislation ^ including that which relates to level crossings. We also exercise delegated powers of the Secretary of State in making level crossing orders under the Level Crossings Act 1983.

We believe that it is neither effective nor efficient for only rail companies to be responsible for managing safety at level crossings. Decisions about level crossings should involve rail companies, traffic authorities and other relevant organisations such as planning authorities as early on as possible.

Relevant authorities should recognise the wider benefits that safety improvements at level crossings (for example, replacing them with bridges) can bring about, particularly for road users. If wider benefits can be achieved, the appropriate funding bodies should agree on how the costs of making safety improvements will be met.

We are also committed to helping people understand the importance of the safe use of level crossings.

Our aims

- other than in exceptional circumstances, no new level crossings on any railway therefore creating no new risks; and

- to make level crossing users more aware of what affects safety at level crossings.

What we will do

- we will use current laws on creating and using level crossings to support good practice; and

- we will work closely with Network Rail and other rail companies to help improve safety at level crossings, and be directly involved in working groups and committees where appropriate.

Last updated - 17 April 2014

(My highlighting. CfN.)

John R

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: June 30, 2014, 21:35:36 »

Other than in exceptional circumstances implies that it is not a total ban. Have NR» (Network Rail - home page) even asked whether a concession could be made? I bet they haven't.

I'm sure passengers would rather travel at 10mph over the crossing and have a station in the town centre than have to walk.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 72
  Print  

Jump to: