21:02 Oxford to London Paddington
Short Run
15:50 Penzance to Gloucester
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 20:38:30 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[313] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[65] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[58] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[49] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[28] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[26] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 72
  Print  
Author Topic: Portishead Line reopening for passengers - ongoing discussion  (Read 389274 times)
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: February 20, 2015, 14:28:10 »

Well,it is 8 days since the BEP said the decision about the station was to be made 'within days'......anyone heard/seen anything ?
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: March 03, 2015, 09:34:39 »

And a further 10 days of deafening silence.....

Ian B on the Portishead Streetlife page suggests, that as we have the 'Strawberry Line' and the 'Bluebell line'...not forgetting the 'Watercress line,Ian...., that the Portishead line is henceforth known as the 'Marmite line'.....love it or hate it.....

And I wondered what the sticky black substance was, on the newly cleared rails beyond Quays Avenue towards Sainsburys.....( nearly said Salisbury lol, wishful thinking!)
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: March 03, 2015, 11:49:08 »

I had a look around recently, and took some pictures. I've posted them with others I took in September 2012, for comparison.

Sheepway facing Bristol before:

After:

Sheepway facing Portbury Wharf before:

and after:

From Portbury Wharf bridge towards Bristol before:

and after:

Towards Portishead from Portbury Wharf Bridge before:

and after:

Portbury Wharf bridge itself before:

and after:

From Quays Avenue towards Portishead station before:

and after:

There is traffic counting equipment in place where the level crossing will, common sense prevailing, be built:

Now, are those rails likely to be strong enough to be usable for delivery of rail and sleepers at 2 mpf (miles per fortnight)? That would save a lorra lorra lorry journeys.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 13:47:04 by Four Track, Now! » Logged

Now, please!
Cynthia

View Profile Email
« Reply #393 on: March 04, 2015, 07:29:31 »

An impressive amount of work has obviously gone on to reopen this line.  Hope this isn't a stupid question, but was all this line restoration done by employed staff, or has there been any input by volunteers?  Who financed the work?  I knownotheeng, as Manuel used to say. Roll Eyes Thank you for your patience.

Trying to break ones addiction to car travel is much harder than giving up ciggies!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: March 04, 2015, 10:33:47 »

An impressive amount of work has obviously gone on to reopen this line.  Hope this isn't a stupid question, but was all this line restoration done by employed staff, or has there been any input by volunteers?  Who financed the work?  I knownotheeng, as Manuel used to say. Roll Eyes Thank you for your patience.

The work has been done by contractors, paid for by Network Rail. The purpose of this is just to allow inspection of the route.

Although the clearance is a visible sign of progress, there is a lot of planning to do before new rails and ballast go down.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #395 on: March 04, 2015, 22:19:24 »

... has there been any input by volunteers?

No, Cynthia, there has not been any physical input by volunteers on the work carried out so far.

In the past, volunteers from the Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways (FoSBR» (Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways - site)) expressed an interest in helping to clear some of the vegetation, but their offer was declined.

To be fair, there are various quite legitimate 'health and safety' concerns in such cases.  The trackbed is private property (much of it bought by North Somerset Council) and Network Rail and their contractors have access to it, to carry out some industrial strength clearance work, on the basis that they will not expect to find anyone else on site (however well-intentioned).  Lips sealed

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Cynthia

View Profile Email
« Reply #396 on: March 05, 2015, 07:53:30 »

OK, well, as long as the work is being done.....  I'm sure the volunteer force that would like to have hurried along the reopening must have been ruing the advent of overly-cautious H&S (Health and Safety) regulations. (Injury Claims UK (United Kingdom) and others of your kind; you're ruining the British culture of 'mucking in')

I will just add that I hope the Wilts and Berks Canal Trust manage to complete their restoration of the canal before H&S concerns prevent the presence of volunteers.  Most of the work completed so far wouldn't have been possible without the willing army of volunteers!  And yes, they also had some pretty chunky equipment present at work party sessions.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 08:06:07 by Cynthia » Logged

Trying to break ones addiction to car travel is much harder than giving up ciggies!
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: March 05, 2015, 08:32:54 »

The clearance near Sainsburys has revealed the metal skeleton of what was designed to bring a train to a halt. After being revealed in Sleeping Beauty fashion after some 50 years, (the structure I hasten to add!), I was photographed  standing next to it. The caption for the photograph is Two Old Buffers but modesty forbids me from posting it here. Grin
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 01:45:39 by chuffed » Logged
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: March 06, 2015, 12:08:55 »

From the Joint Transport Board's website[/] we find that:

Office of Rail Regulation response to the case for a level crossing at Quays Avenue in Portishead will be reported verbally to the Joint Transport Board on 13 March 2015.

North Somerset Council to decide on preferred location for Portishead station on 17 March 2015.

So, el momento de verdad, as they may say in Spain. The LEP» (Local Enterprise Partnership - about) clearly knows the outcome already. Is the delay to be able to report fabulous news, or to let us down gently? If it is thumbs up for the crossing, why would North Somerset have a decision to make?

The case for a crossing is strong. The case against is that no-one likes a precedent.

Advanced notice by way of leaks of insider information would be welcome...

Now, please!
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: March 06, 2015, 12:51:19 »

There is a Portishead Railway Action Group meeting on that very same evening. I suspect that this decision, one way or the other  will be the only item on the Agenda !
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: March 06, 2015, 13:04:05 »

There is a Portishead Railway Action Group meeting on that very same evening. I suspect that this decision, one way or the other  will be the only item on the Agenda !

Well let's hope PRAG-matism wins the day...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: March 06, 2015, 14:38:28 »

A quick search for FTN's el momento de verdad seems to indicate that there is no literal English translation for this phrase. One suggestion I found was 'when push comes to shove' which I can't help thinking is a MOST unfortunate metaphor when applied to the projected re-opening of a railway line ! Roll Eyes
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: March 06, 2015, 17:26:23 »

A quick search for FTN's el momento de verdad seems to indicate that there is no literal English translation for this phrase. One suggestion I found was 'when push comes to shove' which I can't help thinking is a MOST unfortunate metaphor when applied to the projected re-opening of a railway line ! Roll Eyes

I'm pretty sure I read it a Spike Milligan book - probably Puckoon. Although not part of the same chapter, the "Puckoon Flyer" does run out of peat at one point...

Now, please!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: March 06, 2015, 18:51:55 »

Really? Google translate gives 'the moment of truth', which fits rather well with FT, N!'s context I'd say!

chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: March 06, 2015, 21:14:41 »

Wouldn't it be unfortunate,if during the clearance, a colony of 'Sciurus vulgaris' were to be found in need of re-homing.....could almost be a Drey Fuss affair.... Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 01:42:39 by chuffed » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 72
  Print  

Jump to: