Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 16:15 28 Mar 2024
* Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 16:20:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 72
  Print  
Author Topic: Portishead Line reopening for passengers - ongoing discussion  (Read 384446 times)
Andy

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: March 07, 2015, 12:39:36 »

"the day of reckoning" sounds like an apt expression in this context, or even "judgement day". I don't like the sense of foreboding I'm getting on reading how the decision is going to be announced.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: March 07, 2015, 14:28:10 »

"the day of reckoning" sounds like an apt expression in this context, or even "judgement day". I don't like the sense of foreboding I'm getting on reading how the decision is going to be announced.

Me neither.

Now, please!
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: March 09, 2015, 19:06:35 »

The latest Portishead Rail Services newsletter (Spring update) has just been published this evening. It states that the Office of the Rail Regulator has decided against a level crossing. It also says that the NSC Exec is to decide on the station location on 17 March adopting option 2B. This is the option which diverts Quays Avenue around the station area
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 19:14:19 by chuffed » Logged
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #408 on: March 09, 2015, 20:56:35 »

Many thanks for that update, chuffed.  Wink

From the North Somerset Council website:

Portishead Rail Services

We are working with the other West of England councils on proposals for an ambitious programme of rail improvements for delivery over the next 10 years, including plans to re-open the Portishead rail line and re-introduce passenger train services.

The project

The re-opening of the Portishead rail branch line forms part of the Metro West Phase 1 project. The overall project includes proposals for half-hourly train services for the re-opened Portishead line, Severn Beach line and local stations between Bristol Temple Meads and Bath Spa. The total cost of the project cost is estimated at between ^49m to ^55m, and is expected to be funded from the Department for Transport major schemes devolved grant, subject to the agreement of the proposed local transport body. For more information about MetroWest visit the TravelWest website.

Update 10 March 2015

At the meeting on 17 March, our Executive will consider a report asking them to confirm the location for Portishead rail station as option 2B, on the corner of Quays Avenue and Harbour Road.

The recommendation follows extensive technical assessment of six station options, the public consultation we undertook in June /July 2014 on three shortlisted viable options and further assessment of the case for a level crossing at Quays Avenue.  Following consideration of the technical assessment, the Office of Rail Regulation (ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about)) confirmed in a letter in early March '^to not contemplate a level crossing at Quays Avenue.'

The ORR^s reasons were that: there was no case for exceptional circumstances for a level crossing; there are viable non-level crossing options available; and there are significant traffic issues causing safety risks to the operation of the railway.  The ORR also had concerns about: the likelihood of pedestrians or vehicles blocking the level crossing is high; additional risks arising to pedestrians; and the likelihood of pedestrians jumping the barriers.  The ORR letter sets out 10 major concerns in respect of a level crossing at Quays Avenue. 

A total of 407 people responded to the June/July 2014 consultation and made 1014 comments on the three station options.  The consultation results are summarised as follows:
Option 2A - 174 were either strongly in support or some support, 18 were neutral and 149 were slightly or strongly against
Option 2B - 213 were either strongly in support or some support, 13 were neutral and 86 were slightly or strongly against
Option 2C - 132 were either strongly in support or some support, 7 were neutral and 152 were slightly or strongly against

In relation to the specific question 'On the basis that one of the three station locations is selected, would you use the station? Yes or No', the response was 91% of people replied Yes.

To find out more about the case for a level crossing, download the ORR letter dated 2 March 2015 (pdf) and download the technical assessment of the case for a level crossing (pdf) submitted to the ORR in January 2015 by the project team.

- See more at: http://www.n-somerset.gov.uk/Transport/transport%20planning/Road_improvement_schemes/Pages/Portishead-Rail-Services.aspx#sthash.1e92ugiv.dpuf

My highlighting. CfN.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: March 09, 2015, 22:27:16 »

In the cold light of day, the ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about)'s reckoning seems logical and sensible. Traffic on Quays Avenue cannot be described as light, as I noticed when taking my photographs the other day. The likely "barrier-down" time of 12 minutes in the hour at a peak that would coincide with the road traffic peak would see traffic queuing back into Harbour Road and Phoenix Avenue. Having three viable alternatives in the submission to ORR probably helped to hole the crossing plan below the waterline before the envelope had been sealed.

So we await NSDC's decision on St Patrick's Day. 2B, or not 2B - that is the question. A quick show of hands, then the Guinness* can start to flow.

(*Other stouts are available)

Now, please!
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: March 10, 2015, 08:27:54 »

Having been a keen advocate of a level crossing, I now realise that I was wrong. The ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) report is extremely clear and details exactly why it is not a good idea. I thought that any such refusal would be  curt and dismissive, but no, the ORR has taken the concerns very seriously and produced an excellent report. It is in plain English, free from jargon and obfuscation with plenty of evidence, statistics and surveys on the ground. In fact it is so well written, that even someone like me who does not know one end of a spanner from another, could understand it.
My only concern about the Station 2B site, is that I think the overflow car park should stretch all the way up to the bridge crossing the rhine. That's a small r, pronounced 'reen'  in case anyone thought I was referring to a certain place in Germany !
I was pleased to see that the report mentioned that Class 165's ( refurbished Turbos) might be used on the branch instead of the ubiquitous 150/153's. I used these on the Thames branches last Saturday and found them to be most acceptable !
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 09:23:04 by chuffed » Logged
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #411 on: March 10, 2015, 09:30:37 »

Does "diverts Quays Avenue around the station area" mean that the station will be in the same place it would have been with the level-crossing option? Just with the road diverted to avoid needing the level crossing?

The consensus on here seemed to be that the best location for the station was the one that required the level crossing, so if this option puts the station in that location and manages to do it without a level crossing, that sounds like win-win for Portishead. Although it sets an awkward precedent for elsewhere...

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: March 10, 2015, 09:34:42 »

Does "diverts Quays Avenue around the station area" mean that the station will be in the same place it would have been with the level-crossing option? Just with the road diverted to avoid needing the level crossing?

The consensus on here seemed to be that the best location for the station was the one that required the level crossing, so if this option puts the station in that location and manages to do it without a level crossing, that sounds like win-win for Portishead. Although it sets an awkward precedent for elsewhere...

Sorry - you'll have to look at the plans to see where it goes. The rearrangement of the roads isn't clear in the words they use for each option. But basically the option now proposed puts the station on top of the level crossing site, with the road re-routed round its end.
Network SouthEast

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: March 10, 2015, 10:26:12 »

See page 41 of this document - http://www.n-somerset.gov.uk/Transport/transport%20planning/Road_improvement_schemes/Documents/Portishead%20rail%20services/Portishead%20station%20options%20appraisal%20report%20(pdf).pdf
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: March 10, 2015, 10:51:22 »

As an aside, I am struck by the irony that it was not possible to divert the traffic via Serbert Way because of the new Sainsbury's. I suspect that if Sainsbury's had waited another year (a mere blink of an eye in the world of rail development) they would have been happy not to build there; the big supermarkets are retreating from this kind of development.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #415 on: March 10, 2015, 11:52:51 »

See page 41 of this document - http://www.n-somerset.gov.uk/Transport/transport%20planning/Road_improvement_schemes/Documents/Portishead%20rail%20services/Portishead%20station%20options%20appraisal%20report%20(pdf).pdf
Thanks. Looks like 2B is not the most central proposal, but at least it is better than some of the other options.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
sprinterguard

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: March 10, 2015, 12:50:36 »

Did they consider submerging the railway under the road or would that cost too much or offend a rare protected strain of soil in the area?

By the way, the railway looks quite open... do people walk along the trackbed? Presumably it is trespassing on the railway still.

All opinions are my own.
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: March 10, 2015, 12:56:10 »

Tunnelling was dismissed at an early stage ....cost, difficulty, not to mention that the Portishead water table is so high at that point,or put another way so close to sea level (single figures?), that aqua trains might be needed.... Roll Eyes
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: March 10, 2015, 13:16:20 »

From Bristol Post:

Site agreed for new Portishead train station

By Heather Pickstock

LONG awaited plans to get trains running out of Portishead for the first time in more than 50 years have taken a massive step forward ^ with a site for the town's new station agreed.

North Somerset Council has identified land between Harbour Road and Quays Avenue as the site for the new station.

The authority's executive committee is due to rubber stamp the decision at its meeting next week.

The move to decide the site comes after the Office of the Rail Regulator (ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about)) ruled that a level crossing would be unsuitable.

The Metrowest project team, which is leading the drive to get trains running out of the town again by 2019, put forward a case for a level crossing at Harbour Road for the new station following pressure from Portishead Town Council.

But rail regulators have ruled that such a crossing would increase safety risks and cause a 'severe' impact on journey times and traffic congestion.

They said that traffic queues could potentially extend the length of Quays Avenue and to have a crossing 200 metres away from a primary school would increase safety risks for schoolchildren and pedestrians.

ORR chiefs also raised concerns that a level crossing could also lead to trains running late or even being cancelled.

North Somerset Council leader Nigel Ashton said: "We have chosen the best available location for the station and this is a very positive step forward for Portishead."

A series of options for the location of the new station were put forward in a public consultation last year. Some of the options required a level crossing at Quays Avenue and a case was put forward to the ORR. The chosen site for the station ^ known as option 2b ^ is 600 metres from the town centre and would require some modifications to the road to realign Quays Avenue and the creation of a new junction at Haven View.

A considerable amount of technical feasibility work has already been carried out over the last 12 months.

The next stage involves outline engineering design, further work on operation design and drawing up a planning application for the scheme. Work has also been carried out on clearing overgrowth on the three-mile section of the redundant Portishead line.

Mr Ashton added: "While we have a number of major milestones yet to get over, our programme is to commence construction in late 2017 and open the station and railway in May 2019."

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: June 19, 2015, 11:40:11 »

New consultation document (20 page colour booklet with maps, explanations,colour photos and artists impressions) now available at travelwest.info/metrowest. This is obviously what will be on display and available in booklet form, at the exhibitions in Portishead, Pill and Temple Meads over the next month
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 13:57:04 by chuffed » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 72
  Print  

Jump to: