09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:52 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
10:52 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 09:22:26 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[315] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[250] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[42] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[37] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[18] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[17] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 72
  Print  
Author Topic: Portishead Line reopening for passengers - ongoing discussion  (Read 389400 times)
Kempis
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: March 09, 2017, 22:57:41 »

The story was covered on BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Radio Bristol this morning (advance slider to 36:30):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04sz69b.

FOSBR (Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways)'s press release is here:

http://fosbr.org.uk/files/20170309_mwp1_fosbr_pressrelease.pdf.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #466 on: March 10, 2017, 06:54:34 »

The change in price is astonishing.

Was the previous price quoted just a rough estimate with a range of possibilities so wide that the range of possibilities wasn't publicised?   I other words, I note we have gone from a single estimate to a range; should the estimate have said "between £50 million and £200 million"?

Have unforeseeable issues come to light which widen (double) the scope of the project?

Has there been project creep? Have we moved from a 30 m.p.h. line to a 70 m.p.h. on, for example, or have safety issues such as level crossing requirements changed?

Have prices rocketed?   In a market where there's a shortage of suppliers, prices tend to go up so that only those who want the supplies most badly (or rather "who can most afford it") go ahead, and where there's a monopoly / cartel of suppliers, those suppliers tend to be able to name their price.

I am tempted to wonder if an hourly 30 m.p.h. D train, running over light rail track from the end of the current alignment to a basic platform at Portishead and with gaps for freight (from BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) at - say 05:45 to 09:45, 12:30, 15:00 to 19:00, 21:30 to 23:30 from BRI, 30 minute later from PHD) would encourage traffic.  I rather suspect it would, to the extent that it would need 2 D trains coupled together for the round trips at 06:45, 07:45, 16:00, 17:00, 18:00 and (on Friday and Saturday nights) 22:30 and 23:30.

Looking on Real Time Trains to get an idea of how much traffic currently runs to the docks, I've drawn a blank for today - probably because I don't know the codes / know want to look for,. Can someone please enlighten me so they can help confirm the idea above, or blow it out of the water as being just too silly due to capacity issues.

Could Keith Walton's talk at TravelWatch SouthWest about how the Severnside CRP (Community Rail Partnership) brought in a huge improvement at Severn Beach station at a fraction of the cost quoted to the partnership be a valid lead into providing something beyond a bare platform at Portishead, and further more providing something that gave community ownership.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 07:08:21 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: March 10, 2017, 09:22:30 »

I see someone has beaten me to it on the linespeed question: http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=231.msg210869#msg210869

(Note to moderators: We seem to be discussing this line in two separate threads; bit of merging required?)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 20:27:26 by Chris from Nailsea » Logged
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #468 on: March 11, 2017, 17:35:39 »

Thank you for confirming my own inclination to do a bit of constructive 'moving and merging' here, SandTEngineer.  Wink

I did look into it quickly, a couple of days ago, when I was rather limited for time - but I have now taken the opportunity to move some posts and merge them here.

These latest developments on the financial constraints do seem to show that the planning of the whole project has been a bit of a dog's breakfast, in my opinion.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #469 on: March 11, 2017, 20:23:56 »

Thanks for burning the midnight oil CfN.  Makes more sense now. Wink Cheesy
John R

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: March 12, 2017, 07:26:40 »

Looking on Real Time Trains to get an idea of how much traffic currently runs to the docks, I've drawn a blank for today - probably because I don't know the codes / know want to look for,. Can someone please enlighten me so they can help confirm the idea above, or blow it out of the water as being just too silly due to capacity issues.

From what I can see there is only one regular traffic flow now, which is an automotive train that passes through Bristol at around 6pm on its way to Mossend a couple of times a week, (and of course there has to be an equivalent inbound working).  There are a couple of coal slots but they appear to be cancelled frequently currently.  So with a bit of rejigging of that slot, surely the fact of freight is likely to be minimal.

Having said that I believe the Docks paid for the line to be reinstated, so they I suspect they have a strong contractual right to first dibs on the line's use currently.

The difference between 30mph and 50mph is 5 mins between the current stop board and Ashton loop. If it could be raised to 35 or even 40 in places without any work that would reduce that difference further.  That's hardly going to make a great difference to the attractiveness of the service.

I'd argue that 1tph over Ashton crossing in each direction is hardly enough to warrant it's closure, particularly given the traffic over it.

So there are ways to reduce the cost, and I hope those parties involved are sensible and take them, as a gold plated scheme is clearly unaffordable.

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #471 on: March 12, 2017, 11:32:50 »

According to reports on the local TV news a few days ago, the discovery of rare newts is one reason for the increased costs.
Looks like the NR» (Network Rail - home page) newt breeding department are doing well !

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: March 12, 2017, 16:47:13 »

Not again !  The ones that I suspect were planted by the Co-op to try and prevent Sainsbury's rolling into town. Didn't work! Better don my hard hat and prepare for another noot shewt .
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #473 on: March 12, 2017, 18:12:48 »

Hmmm.  Roll Eyes

See also http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=2662.0  Wink Cheesy Grin

CfN.  Lips sealed

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: March 12, 2017, 22:31:40 »

Be they newts, bats or endangered flora, none is as rare as a train on the tracks in Portishead.  Cheesy
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: March 14, 2017, 00:11:01 »

Bear in mind that the original Halcrow GRIP3 report was working towards a 50 mph linespeed. That would do the journey, with one stop only at Pill, in 17 minutes. That would allow for a clockface service from PHD to SVB, and from PHD to BTH» (Bath Spa - next trains), plus an occasional shuttle PHD to BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) P2. Now, 30 mph would be slower (d'uh) but would still allow for a clockface shuttle into BRI. Maybe a 24 minute ride, with a turnaround on the half-hour. But is that enough?

Now, please!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #476 on: March 14, 2017, 05:57:37 »

Bear in mind that the original Halcrow GRIP3 report was working towards a 50 mph linespeed. That would do the journey, with one stop only at Pill, in 17 minutes. That would allow for a clockface service from PHD to SVB, and from PHD to BTH» (Bath Spa - next trains), plus an occasional shuttle PHD to BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) P2. Now, 30 mph would be slower (d'uh) but would still allow for a clockface shuttle into BRI. Maybe a 24 minute ride, with a turnaround on the half-hour. But is that enough?

I checked my GRIP (Guide to Railway Investment Projects) stages:

1. Output Definition – Establishes the scope of investment and potentially asset renewal.
2. Feasibility – Defines the investment goals and identifies constraints to ensure that they can be achieved both economically and strategically.
3. Option Selection – Assesses potential options and selects the most appropriate one to deliver stakeholders’ requirements.
4. Single Option Development – The implementation of the option selected during the third step.
5. Detailed Design – The creation of a detailed engineering plan that provides definitive costs, times, resources and risk assessments.
6. Construction Test & Commission – The project will be completed to the agreed specifications and testing will commence in order to confirm that everything is operating within the design brief.
7. Scheme Handback – The transfer of asset responsibility from the contractor to the operators.
8. Project Closeout – Contracts are settled while contingencies and warranties are put into place before an assessment of the benefits is finally carried out.

And have to wonder if the Halcrow report is really stage 3 ... or if it's stage 4 (developing a single option) with some stage 2 (identifying constraints to see if it's economic) thrown in.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #477 on: March 14, 2017, 12:51:49 »

There was definitely a GRIP3 report completed in October 2010 by Halcrow, although the link I have for it via Travelwest no longer works. I wish I had downloaded it now - it was interesting and had photographs of a lot of the line. The whole scheme went back to GRIP0 with the plans for MetroWest Rail.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 12:57:31 by Four Track, Now! » Logged

Now, please!
Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #478 on: March 17, 2017, 19:57:28 »

Absolute bonkers...what a way to run a projected railway! Where on earth do they get these figures from Huh For three miles of level track !!! Are the rails gold plated ? Are they running Bullet trains on them? Will Portishead station resemble St Pancras ?. Can't we just go back to what was originally projected - a shuttle up and down the line - which as I recall had already reached GRIP (Guide to Railway Investment Projects) 3/4 before it all went back to GRIP 1, as it was seen as part of a wider Metrowest project. It must be 40 years since the reopening was first mooted ...indeed, I remember estate agents making claims to the effect that the line will  soon be open, at the time. I would willingly walk up and down the line with a red and green flag to save a few pounds on the signalling. The Chinese who built the Lhasa railway must be laughing uproariously up their voluminous sleeves at our unbelievable level of sheer incompetence and accountancy.

Same trick Network Rail play every time they don't fancy taking on the workload. Remember the speculation about reopening Barnstaple to Bideford? Basically an unobstructed, flat trackbed. Yet after initial estimates of sub-£10 million, Network Rail claimed it would cost £80 million, so just a mere £5.3 million per mile of tracked, or if you prefer, over £83 an inch 🤔

http://www.devonlive.com/county-derails-plan-reopen-barnstaple-bideford-railway/story-11654325-detail/story.html

All it needs is ballast and light single track suitable for a dmu, seriously, go and cycle a mile of that cycle path and tell me how it would cost over £5 million...? Oh, it it seems that after the dust has settled, it was realised that the Network Rail figures had been "misquoted" (I remember posting on here about it). So basically, Network Rail inflate the cost to make the Council/supporters/whoever lose faith and thus case closed.
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: March 20, 2017, 10:14:25 »

So the West of England Joint Transport Board met last Friday to discuss how to proceed with Metrowest Phase One. Any one know what was decided ?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 72
  Print  

Jump to: