Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 12:35 28 Mar 2024
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Additional 12:07 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:41 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:11 Bristol Temple Meads to Avonmouth
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
12:32 Exeter Central to Okehampton
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 12:49:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[151] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[85] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[58] Return of the BRUTE?
[49] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[46] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[36] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 72
  Print  
Author Topic: Portishead Line reopening for passengers - ongoing discussion  (Read 384403 times)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #660 on: April 09, 2019, 18:14:11 »

A passing loop somewhere between Ham Green and Paradise Bottom would, one might think, add a great deal of flexibility. A quick check of the 1946 aerial view (see here: http://maps.bristol.gov.uk/kyp/?edition= ) suggests that the formation here was once double track.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #661 on: April 09, 2019, 19:01:18 »

In Mike Vincents book 'Reflections on the Portishead branch' it mentions that the Oakwood loop and signal box  were put in on 14th May 1929 and taken out again in September 1960 (P.78)
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #662 on: April 09, 2019, 19:06:19 »

The current plan is indeed a single platform at Portishead.  During the consultation I did suggest a second for resiliance but I'm sure it was ignored on cost grounds.  No reason a platform couldn't be long enough for a 6 car ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) to arrive and split into the first and second departure of 3 cars each. (Assuming it will be turbos running the line - they could of course get the pacers out of retirement!)

My understanding from the latest presentation is the twin track at pill, one line will be for freight and the other for passenger.  The points won't be restored where the Portishead splits from Portbury Docks, it will be two separate lines until after the Pill platform where they merge into 1.  I guess if there's no freight due a passenger unit can fester on the freight section, but Pill was not designed nor would be any use as a passenger passing facility.

Cheers
Alan

Well, if it's Pacers or nothing!
I have to admit that I have no idea how long the Portishead platform will be although I will be having another look but if you can fit two 3 car sets onto it then that would be a solution to upping the morning peak frequency.

Edit: Subsequent research seems to indicate 130m platorm, revised from the earlier 105m plans. I understand this increases provision from 4 to 5 car but I suppose this also depends on the actual lengths of the cars.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 20:06:33 by johnneyw » Logged
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #663 on: April 09, 2019, 19:16:28 »

In Mike Vincents book 'Reflections on the Portishead branch' it mentions that the Oakwood loop and signal box  were put in on 14th May 1929 and taken out again in September 1960 (P.78)

Gosh, I've just found a copy among the books I inherited from my Dad - turns out I gave it to him for Xmas in 1983! Oakwood Loop appears to have been pretty much where I was suggesting, just to the north of No.3 (Sandstone) Tunnel.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #664 on: April 09, 2019, 20:03:40 »

A passing loop somewhere between Ham Green and Paradise Bottom would, one might think, add a great deal of flexibility. A quick check of the 1946 aerial view (see here: http://maps.bristol.gov.uk/kyp/?edition= ) suggests that the formation here was once double track.

The winter 1959 Working Timetable reads as follows:

"Single line Clifton Bridge to Portishead worked by electric train token. Crossing places Oak Wood, Pill and Portbury Shipyard"
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #665 on: April 09, 2019, 20:53:24 »

The winter 1959 Working Timetable reads as follows:

"Single line Clifton Bridge to Portishead worked by electric train token. Crossing places Oak Wood, Pill and Portbury Shipyard"

Oak Wood was indeed a passing loop but only for a passenger and goods train, the passenger train using the Down/Up single line and the goods train using the loop. There is a signal box diagram for the Oak Wood Box on the signalling society website.
alan_s

View Profile
« Reply #666 on: April 09, 2019, 20:54:28 »

Edit: Subsequent research seems to indicate 130m platorm, revised from the earlier 105m plans. I understand this increases provision from 4 to 5 car but I suppose this also depends on the actual lengths of the cars.

Thanks for the update - yes train coaches are about 20-22m long - so I think 130m would just get a 6 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) in.  Assuming the track runs all the way along the platform - they don't put the buffers half way along or something daft!
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #667 on: April 09, 2019, 21:06:36 »

The link to Oak Wood Signal Box ;

https://www.s-r-s.org.uk/html/gwb/S644.htm
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #668 on: April 09, 2019, 21:20:34 »

Thanks for the update - yes train coaches are about 20-22m long - so I think 130m would just get a 6 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) in.  Assuming the track runs all the way along the platform - they don't put the buffers half way along or something daft!

But of a squeeze though. I can picture the concerned looks on the H&S (Health and Safety) people's faces. Failing that a 1 x 3 set and a 1 x 2 might still be a help.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #669 on: April 09, 2019, 22:53:36 »

The Portishead end of the line will probably be an 'One Train Working' signal section, so no splitting of services allowed.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #670 on: April 09, 2019, 23:00:37 »

The Portishead end of the line will probably be an 'One Train Working' signal section, so no splitting of services allowed.

That does rather end the talk (including that on the Portishead railway group's website) of some peak time extra services beyond hourly. Seems the only remaining option is to maximise the number of cars per set.
Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #671 on: April 10, 2019, 14:34:01 »

I rather suspect that it will be as the Valley Lines reopening (and the Borders railway) - minimum viable product to make the numbers work, only to be proved wholly inadequate when services start, a period of "coping", followed by a lengthy, disruptive and expensive rebuilding to how it should have been done in the first place.

Nonetheless, it is at least a railway, and will be Turbos rather than Pacers. It should help prove that there is a market and business case for heavy rail in the mid-west, and build the case for electrification, resignalling, further investment etc. 
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #672 on: April 10, 2019, 23:47:45 »

An unusually well written article on the future for the PortZ line on Bristol Live. At bit long to put on here so here is the link.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/portishead-rail-link-really-more-2740619
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #673 on: April 11, 2019, 08:06:08 »

An unusually well written article on the future for the PortZ line on Bristol Live. At bit long to put on here so here is the link.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/portishead-rail-link-really-more-2740619

Re-iterating that comment - well worth a read.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #674 on: April 24, 2019, 16:34:10 »

Portishead Railway Group had written a piece containing their best guess at a likely timeframe for reopening, along with an explanation of why it will take some time.

...a possible overall programme from a July 2019 DCO (Driver Controlled Operation) application could look like this:

o DCO process, to signature   18 months (end Jan 2021)
o Contracts start-up time       6 months (end Jul  2021) See Note *
o Railway and road works      21 months (end Apr 2023)
o Testing period                   4 months (end Aug 2023)

[...]

* A note regarding the contract start-up period

No contracts should be signed until after the DCO has been signed. 

Contractors will then require reasonable contract start-up times – the period during which they will marshal materials, machinery and labour, perhaps also placing subcontracts on other organisations. This all takes time. 

Even then, very little ‘rail’ work can be carried until the various compounds and temporary roadways have been built, and these cannot be built until the DCO is signed off.

In the programme estimate above, PRG Committee has assumed a start-up period of six months. This is generous; the start-up period could be shorter if there is a will to make it so.

You can read their full article here: https://www.portisheadrailwaygroup.org/apr19.html

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 72
  Print  

Jump to: