Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 12:55 28 Mar 2024
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Additional 12:07 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:41 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
12:32 Exeter Central to Okehampton
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:27 Okehampton to Exeter Central
12:28 Plymouth to Gunnislake
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 13:01:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[151] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[85] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[58] Return of the BRUTE?
[49] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[46] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[36] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 72
  Print  
Author Topic: Portishead Line reopening for passengers - ongoing discussion  (Read 384404 times)
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #765 on: November 08, 2019, 17:21:13 »

As I said in October, JFDI (just flipping do it (polite version)) !

Never in the field of railway reopenings, can so many millions of pounds, millions of words, millions of seconds been invested in such a project with so little to show for it!
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #766 on: November 08, 2019, 17:49:38 »

It does make you wonder, after at least 5 years of concerted effort, research, planning, and document preparation by North Somerset DC (Direct Current), the LEP» (Local Enterprise Partnership - about), and now WECA» (West of England Combined Authority - about) what exactly is left to do that is going to take DfT» (Department for Transport - about) and a minister 18 months to make a decision on something so blindingly obviously needed. Beggars belief.

Now, please!
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #767 on: November 08, 2019, 18:07:23 »

It does make you wonder, after at least 5 years of concerted effort, research, planning, and document preparation by North Somerset DC (Direct Current), the LEP» (Local Enterprise Partnership - about), and now WECA» (West of England Combined Authority - about) what exactly is left to do that is going to take DfT» (Department for Transport - about) and a minister 18 months to make a decision on something so blindingly obviously needed. Beggars belief.

Only the last three months of that is the SoS's own personal delay. The rest is the Planning Inspectorate's, to do National Infrastructure Planning under the Planning Act 2008.

Their "what we do" page starts with:
The Planning Act 2008 (PA2008) process was introduced to streamline the decision-making process for major infrastructure projects, making it fairer and faster for communities and applicants alike.

I hope you are all duly appreciative.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #768 on: November 08, 2019, 19:07:41 »

Only the last three months of that is the SoS's own personal delay. The rest is the Planning Inspectorate's, to do National Infrastructure Planning under the Planning Act 2008.

Crikey, it must have been even worse once upon a time! Still, with few exceptions, those are maximum times. The Inspectorate could do the first bit within a fortnight rather than 28 days, the SoS could be sat with his pen poised ready for action waiting to sign off the Inspector's recommendation, rather than playing Candy Crush on his PC (or worse) for 89 days, them making his mark. They won't though. It will go to the wire. It would be nice to hear the starting gun soon.

Now, please!
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #769 on: November 15, 2019, 16:46:39 »

An addendum: I have just read in my newspaper that one of the major political parties is promising £500 million to reverse some of the Beeching cuts. Included are Portishead and Okehampton, and I'll bet the others are re-re-re-announcements too.

Now, please!
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #770 on: November 25, 2019, 10:17:18 »

Just appeared on Twitter

An application for a development consent order (DCO (Driver Controlled Operation)) to construct a new railway line between Bristol and Portishead has been submitted to the Planning Inspectorate   

https://twitter.com/wilderbags/status/1198887204619198466?s=21
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #771 on: November 25, 2019, 10:48:39 »

So it has:

https://infrastructure.planninginspectorate.gov.uk/projects/south-west/portishead-branch-line-metrowest-phase-1/

...and here, for those who like this kind of thing, is the indicative design plan for great crested newt mitigation ponds:

https://infrastructure.planninginspectorate.gov.uk/wp-content/ipc/uploads/projects/TR040011/TR040011-000381-2.59%20Great%20Crested%20Newt%20Indicative%20Pond%20Design.pdf

...or, perhaps more usefully, the D&A:
https://infrastructure.planninginspectorate.gov.uk/wp-content/ipc/uploads/projects/TR040011/TR040011-000534-8.1%20Design%20and%20Access%20Statement.pdf
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 11:16:25 by Red Squirrel » Logged

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #772 on: November 25, 2019, 11:43:03 »

Only 212 documents submitted, and this for, what, 3 miles disused railway that is (I believe) substantially still intact, and some work on an existing freight line.  How much has that all cost?  Makes you wonder doesn't it?
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #773 on: November 25, 2019, 13:26:20 »

With 100 - 300 square metres of pond, I am assuming that there are two newts in the area, possibly more!

But I rather like the overall plan, which looks much better that it did in the earlier drawings, obviously because of the greater detail. A great number of people will be within walking distance of the new Portishead station, and the minor rerouting of roads isn't too much for anyone to bear.

Now, please!
sikejsudjek3

View Profile
« Reply #774 on: November 25, 2019, 16:00:48 »

Because
a) Its not in London.
b) It doesn't move bankers into the city faster.
c) North Somerset will return Tory MP (Member of Parliament)'s irrespective of spending in the locality. You could get a root vegetable elected there if it had 'Conservative' next to the voting box !

Hence the confusion in government and the many more months of dithering.... they probably don't even know where Portishead is. A five year old could work out there was an overwhelming case for reinstatement inside 10 minutes.

Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #775 on: November 25, 2019, 23:21:44 »

Only 212 documents submitted, and this for, what, 3 miles disused railway that is (I believe) substantially still intact, and some work on an existing freight line.  How much has that all cost?  Makes you wonder doesn't it?

An enormous amount of money I am sure. But on the other hand we'd all be up in arms if the railway was CPO'ing land left, right and centre, or splashing cash on hare-brained projects, so it's one of those unfortunate checks and balances I'm afraid. I've not gone into the paperwork in any depth, but if it covers the Avon Gorge there's an awful lot of protected wildlife - each bat and vole probably needs a designated caregiver and strategy ;-)

More seriously, yes, it might be a fairly safe Conservative seat, but it will move a lot of people into one of the richest cities in the UK (United Kingdom) outside London, and by doing so, should considerably reduce the amount of traffic going into the City of Bristol, considerably increase the viability of an urban rail network in Greater Bristol, and help with Bristol's housing crisis. On that basis it is pretty scandalous that the current Mayor of Bristol is not spending considerable energy lobbying for urban rail investment such as the redoubling of the Severn Beach line and a timeline for electrification.   

chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #776 on: November 26, 2019, 00:21:20 »

Thank goodness it is only one page and one diagram for the Great Crested Hilton Hotel. At 81 pages for the full DCO (Driver Controlled Operation) report, I was seriously worried that this section would be 80 pages long. I cannot help wondering, why, if the GCN is so rare, why does it seem to pop up at every infrastructure project throughout the country?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 05:59:45 by chuffed » Logged
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #777 on: January 01, 2020, 13:34:57 »

On Thursday 12th December, we received a letter from the Planning Inspectorate stating they have accepted the DCO (Driver Controlled Operation) application for Examination. The letter can be read on PINS website. We are now preparing for the next stage of the DCO process. Over the next few weeks, there will be some activity in the local area. This will include:

• The display of public notices along the railway corridor stating that an application for development consent has been made and signposting people to where they can access the application documents
  • Hard copies of the application in local libraries
  • A copy of the application online
  • Preparation for the examination in public which is likely to be held in the Spring.

Source: TravelWest

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #778 on: January 01, 2020, 15:31:42 »

It's good to know the letter wasn't lost in the post. Something will therefore eventually happen - let's hope it's before the next election.

Now, please!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #779 on: January 01, 2020, 16:50:39 »

Wasn’t it supposed to be open by now?!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 72
  Print  

Jump to: