Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
14:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
15:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
15:50 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
16:15 Newbury to Bedwyn
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
16:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
12:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
13:46 Bristol Temple Meads to Warminster
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:20 Penzance to London Paddington
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
13:50 London Paddington to Great Malvern
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
19:04 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 14:43:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[135] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[85] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Travel for free on the m2 metrobus - Bristol - 4,5,6 April 202...
[36] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[34] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[33] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 72
  Print  
Author Topic: Portishead Line reopening for passengers - ongoing discussion  (Read 384771 times)
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #915 on: November 29, 2021, 20:45:32 »

I'm beginning to dread the next news of the Portishead line being the closure of current services.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #916 on: December 03, 2021, 13:48:24 »

'Red herrings' need to be ignored for Portishead Railway scheme

Pressure continues to mount on Government ministers after a series of 'red herrings' have been dismissed as reasons for delaying Portishead and Pill railway line plans.

Both North Somerset's MP (Member of Parliament) and council leader were left frustrated by the Minister of Transport's statement issued in a House of Commons debate which claimed the delay was partly due to the need to clear overgrowth from the Portishead Railway line, which was closed in the 1960s, as well as care to avoid destroying a number of rare species of plants further along the line.

Council leader Don Davies told the Times: "It seems to be one of the few times myself and Dr Fox have agreed during these proceedings.

"During his debate, Liam Fox laid bare the situation, which is heading for a cliff edge, to the Minister.

"And that is; if a decision is not made by January then we will have to re-do a lot of ecology and push back our schedule at a sizeable cost.

"It is incredibly frustrating that these red herrings are being presented - we have known about the rare species of plants mentioned for decades and made our proposals with this in mind."

Elsewhere, Portishead and Pill's Extinction Rebellion group has dismissed claims it would challenge the decision to reinstate a rail line in the two towns.

It had been previously believed that the group, or one's similar, would seek a judicial review into the Development Consent Order put forward by North Somerset Council as phase one of the wider MetroWest scheme.

...continues
Source: North Somerset Times

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #917 on: December 03, 2021, 13:52:40 »

Are red herrings a protected species, an alien invasive one, or just common vermin found by the plagueful?
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #918 on: December 05, 2021, 20:22:24 »

Are red herrings a protected species, an alien invasive one, or just common vermin found by the plagueful?

I think they are a species found almost exclusively in North Somerset these days, with Cllr Don Davies keeping a few pet ones in the bath. Like:

The Portishead Busway Campaign has cited the government's ambition to phase out diesel trains by 2040 - stating that this means two tunnels on the Portishead-Bristol rail line would have to be modified to enable electrification.

The council's leader has dismissed this claim, calling it a 'fairytale'.

He said: "The busway campaign seems to be pulling ideas from Brother's Grimm fairytales and offering more red herrings.

"If we did accommodate an overhead electrical line then it would mean trains could not join with services past Bath, as it does not have the same line.

"However, technology such as a third rail means that we can easily meet the government's demands."

I'm guessing he did not consult ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) before saying that. Or anybody else for that matter.

I am pleasantly surprised by Extinction Rebellion's reaction. I though they were only against things, not for anything. Reading the report more carefully, they may see that Dr Fox did not exactly say that he thought tey might seek judicial review, and may even have been hinting at the opposite view.

Now, please!
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #919 on: December 11, 2021, 09:16:05 »

The DfT» (Department for Transport - about) has invited comments on N Som's response.

And those comments can be found here.. There is one from James Willcock at North Somerset council, pointing out, slightly tersely, that this was not supposed to be a rehash of all arguments against the railway even if some thought it was, but he has answered all the points anyway. He ends by saying he doesn't want to see any more from B Cash and PG Virden on the matter, as they have had their chance. Sometimes, what is written between the lines is as interesting as what is written on them, and this is a pointed reference to the Portishead Busway Campaign's 7 page "proof" that reopening the railway will be a Very Bad Thing in environmental terms, as well as cost. This is in turn debunked in an expanded document detailing the effect on the carbon budget. Long story short: hardly noticeable.

The other notable submission is from someone called Tim at FOSBR (Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways), which sticks resolutely to the subject in answering the carbon budget question.

Now, please!
TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #920 on: December 11, 2021, 11:47:56 »

The DfT» (Department for Transport - about) has invited comments on N Som's response.

And those comments can be found here.. There is one from James Willcock at North Somerset council, pointing out, slightly tersely, that this was not supposed to be a rehash of all arguments against the railway even if some thought it was, but he has answered all the points anyway. He ends by saying he doesn't want to see any more from B Cash and PG Virden on the matter, as they have had their chance. Sometimes, what is written between the lines is as interesting as what is written on them, and this is a pointed reference to the Portishead Busway Campaign's 7 page "proof" that reopening the railway will be a Very Bad Thing in environmental terms, as well as cost. This is in turn debunked in an expanded document detailing the effect on the carbon budget. Long story short: hardly noticeable.

The other notable submission is from someone called Tim at FOSBR (Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways), which sticks resolutely to the subject in answering the carbon budget question.

Quite remarkable. None of the letters where written by someone with LLP in their company title.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 12:23:06 by TonyN » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #921 on: January 13, 2022, 04:46:58 »

From New Civil Engineer

Shapps urged to consider busway alternative to restoration of Portishead rail line

12 JAN, 2022 BY CATHERINE KENNEDY

Pressure is mounting on transport secretary Grant Shapps to look at an alternative proposal to the restoration of the Portishead rail line.

According to the Portishead Busway Campaign, its proposal could save £100M, reduce emissions and provide a better service for the public.

The case made in the article resembles a colander (see earlier in this thread for just some of the holes in it) and perhaps now is the time not to consider alternatives but rather JFDI (just flipping do it (polite version)).  We seem to have discussed this until the cows come home!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #922 on: January 13, 2022, 07:51:04 »

Kicking it into the long grass, which must be about the height of a multi-storey building by now.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #923 on: January 13, 2022, 17:17:01 »

I like the use of the phrase 'pressure is mounting'... i.e. Barry has sent Grant another email.

As far as we (FoSBR» (Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways - site)) are aware, the Portishead Busway Campaign consists of Barry Cash and (possibly) someone called PG Virden. But mostly Barry. He's come up with a variety of ideas to avoid the obvious strategy of running trains along an existing railway, including running buses down it on rubber mats. Now he's suggesting a short busway from Portishead to the M5, and then onwards on existing roads.

On balance, one can't help wondering why New Civil Engineer gave him the time of day.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #924 on: January 13, 2022, 17:36:11 »

On balance, one can't help wondering why New Civil Engineer gave him the time of day.
Perhaps they were just being... civil?

sorry.

More seriously, there's a tendency to give some minor, even cranky, viewpoints unwarrantedly large exposure in the name of 'balance'. Which sometimes becomes self-fulfilling in that they cease to be minor, even if still cranky.  Sad

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #925 on: January 14, 2022, 09:36:49 »

From my Facebook feed from Tina Biggs (a public post) and referring us onward to her article from May 2020

Please help us talk sense to Barry Cash or at least give the evidence to Grant Shapps. https://www.railpro.co.uk/railpro-magazine/may-2020/reducing-car-use-in-the-west-of-england-can-rail-do-the-job

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #926 on: January 14, 2022, 09:57:36 »

I’m not at all sure that ‘talking sense to Barry Cash’ is a useful investment of time or energy. The Portishead DCO (Driver Controlled Operation) is in its final stages, and alternatives such as Mr Cash has proposed were dismissed long ago.

Without an advanced qualification in kremlinology, it is impossible to know why this scheme has not been given the green light. If they decide not to do Portishead, they may cite alternative schemes. But that will be part of the spin after the decision is made, not a reason for cancelling the scheme.

TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #927 on: January 14, 2022, 15:16:13 »

I’m not at all sure that ‘talking sense to Barry Cash’ is a useful investment of time or energy. The Portishead DCO (Driver Controlled Operation) is in its final stages, and alternatives such as Mr Cash has proposed were dismissed long ago.

Without an advanced qualification in kremlinology, it is impossible to know why this scheme has not been given the green light. If they decide not to do Portishead, they may cite alternative schemes. But that will be part of the spin after the decision is made, not a reason for cancelling the scheme.

In a world where absolute scientific fact can be a matter of personal interpretation, I can't see any circumstance in which Mr Cash will ever say "You know what, I was wrong all along." My guess is that the fear of litigation is behind the latest inertia. The government could definitely use a bit of good news just now.

Now, please!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #928 on: January 24, 2022, 11:45:58 »

I'm not sure I should even give this the oxygen of publicity, but (groan) the colander is back in the media.

In a letter to transport minister Chris Heaton-Harris, Mr Cash wrote

Should someone tell Mr Cash that Mr Heaton-Harris is no longer a transport minister (though I grant you it feels hard to keep up at times) ... and whilst at it, tell him that a Mr Volk did some early experiments with electricity to power trains. In due course a development of that technology should be available to power vehicles even in and out of Bristol Temple Meads (it has already reached Cocklebury Lane, Chippenham), efficient and with rails not rubber, friction will be reduced and particulates from rubber virtually eliminated.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 11:53:22 by grahame » Logged

TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #929 on: January 24, 2022, 14:54:52 »

I'm not sure I should even give this the oxygen of publicity, but (groan) the colander is back in the media.

In a letter to transport minister Chris Heaton-Harris, Mr Cash wrote

Should someone tell Mr Cash that Mr Heaton-Harris is no longer a transport minister (though I grant you it feels hard to keep up at times) ... and whilst at it, tell him that a Mr Volk did some early experiments with electricity to power trains. In due course a development of that technology should be available to power vehicles even in and out of Bristol Temple Meads (it has already reached Cocklebury Lane, Chippenham), efficient and with rails not rubber, friction will be reduced and particulates from rubber virtually eliminated.

How to impress people.

"Dear Wrong Minister,

I have done some careful research..."

He could have written last month before mr H-H was shifted to Europe etc, and only just persuaded someone at ITV to humour him.

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 72
  Print  

Jump to: