Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 13:55 28 Mar 2024
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:13 Par to Newquay
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
12:42 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 13:59:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 72
  Print  
Author Topic: Portishead Line reopening for passengers - ongoing discussion  (Read 384425 times)
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #990 on: July 29, 2022, 20:10:35 »

The scheme which WECA» (West of England Combined Authority - about) will vote on on Fri 29th includes the following changes:

o Reduction of scope to bring the existing freight line up to passenger train line standards
o Reduction of Portishead and Pill platform lengths from 5-Car to 3-Car
o Removal of Portishead Station building
o Reduction in selected highway scope (car parks, bridge works)
o Change in governance model, with DfT» (Department for Transport - about) taking on the client role.

Worth noting that the report considers, and discounts, the option of cancelling the project.

The full report is here:

https://westofengland-ca.moderngov.co.uk/documents/s5167/MetroWest%201%20Portishead%20Line.pdf

This all looks like some of those savings that will cost a lot more in the long run, probably sooner. Does this mean that the planned realignment to increase line speed won't go ahead? That in itself isn't a problem, but will wreck any chance of an Ashton Gate station. The station building at Portishead could be more like St Andrews Road with a couple of bus shelters rather than a Brunelesque building, but it is rather removing the cherry from the bun. Three-car Turbos (I assume) once hourly are likely to be cosy at peak, and extending a platform always seems much harder than building it the right length in the first place. Still, get it built, quick. Ish.

Now, please!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #991 on: July 30, 2022, 12:25:28 »

FoSBR» (Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways - site) attended the WECA» (West of England Combined Authority - about) meeting on Friday. You can read our full report and thoughts here:

https://fosbr.org.uk/funding-agreed-for-portishead-railway/

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
alan_s

View Profile
« Reply #992 on: July 30, 2022, 12:49:19 »

Is anyone able to explain please, about the 3 car platform and the rule of only one car hanging over each end?

For example at Worle there are often 9 car IET (Intercity Express Train) stopping with 4 cars haning off one end, similar Nailsea & Backwell and Yatton.   In fact all trains that are too long, I have never seen carriages off both ends, normally one end is on a platform.  (Probably back to the day when HST (High Speed Train) had the bike/luggage van at the A end and this was always platformed at the expense of first class pax having to walk through).

Edit: It's occurred to me about whether you can walk through or not - but then there are 2x5 IETs that have the whole of one unit off the end, so surely a 3+2 turbo could have the 2 off the end.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2022, 12:58:18 by alan_s » Logged
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #993 on: July 30, 2022, 15:19:49 »

Turbos don’t have selective door operation, like IET (Intercity Express Train)’s do.  They have now been fitted with local door operation (i.e. the guard operates one set of doors locally).

The whole ‘one vehicle off each end is ok, but not two at terminal stations’ statement makes no sense to me, unless you have a train with SDO (Selective Door Opening) fitted.  And even then it doesn’t make much sense!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
alan_s

View Profile
« Reply #994 on: July 30, 2022, 17:15:49 »

Thanks, glad it's not just me who is totally baffled.
jamestheredengine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #995 on: July 30, 2022, 22:22:43 »

Is anyone able to explain please, about the 3 car platform and the rule of only one car hanging over each end?

For example at Worle there are often 9 car IET (Intercity Express Train) stopping with 4 cars haning off one end, similar Nailsea & Backwell and Yatton.   In fact all trains that are too long, I have never seen carriages off both ends, normally one end is on a platform.  (Probably back to the day when HST (High Speed Train) had the bike/luggage van at the A end and this was always platformed at the expense of first class pax having to walk through).

Edit: It's occurred to me about whether you can walk through or not - but then there are 2x5 IETs that have the whole of one unit off the end, so surely a 3+2 turbo could have the 2 off the end.
In the days of HSTs, neither end fitted into the up platform at Neath. As I recall, the stop marker was placed some distance past the platform, so that the first passenger door was right at the end of the platform.

Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #996 on: August 04, 2022, 20:55:20 »

Just spotted https://www.liamfox.co.uk/sites/www.liamfox.co.uk/files/2022-07/Response%20from%20Transport%20Secretary%20-%20Portishead%20Railway_0.pdfthis on Liam Fox's website:

28 July 2022
Dear Liam,
Thank you for your letter of 24 May regarding the funding of the MetroWest
Phase 1b scheme to restore railway services between Bristol and Portishead.
I apologise for the delay in my response.
I know that the Portishead scheme has the ability to bring the communities of
Bristol and Portishead closer together and address some of the
Government’s key priorities, from levelling up the economy to supporting jobs,
growth and decarbonisation. It also addresses the congestion issue on the
A369 which results in lengthy journeys.
I am pleased to say that my Department is committing to contribute additional
funding of £15.58 million to close the scheme’s funding gap, to come from the
Restoring Your Railway fund. This funding is conditional on formal
commitments being made by North Somerset Council and the West of
England Combined Authority (WECA» (West of England Combined Authority - about)) to increase their funding to the scheme
by £10 million each. The Rail Minister, Wendy Morton MP (Member of Parliament), has written to the
leaders of North Somerset Council and WECA to confirm this.
The funding will support the development of the scheme’s Full Business
Case, which we look forward to receiving in Autumn 2023.
Yours ever,
Rt Hon Grant Shapps MP
SECRETARY OF STATE FOR TRANSPORT

The last paragraph confuses me. I had thought that with the finding in place, work could start. The extra money from the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) was, I thought, to cover the cost of delaying the start of work caused by the DfT being so slow to approve the DCO (Driver Controlled Operation).

Can anyone explain to me how it can be that after all this time we are only now going to prepare the Business Case?

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #997 on: August 04, 2022, 21:48:11 »

Looking at the GRIP (Guide to Railway Investment Projects) progress thermometer on the Portishead railway group website  the DCO (Driver Controlled Operation) has to be approved first. I emailed Dan Norris to ask him to chase Grant Shapps every day this month to get it approved before Liz Truss takes over. A new SoS might just look at all the overuns of this project  and cut it completely with a recession looming. Surely once the DCO is approved, it cannot be cancelled.....
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #998 on: October 01, 2022, 11:50:34 »

Portishead Railway Group have issued this statement concerning a proposed development at Ashton Vale:

Objection to The proposed Longmoor Village development

Why the twin planning applications to Bristol City Council and North Somerset Council must be refused in their present forms

There are two planning applications for a proposed development of mixed housing on greenbelt land; they are:

Bristol City Council planning application 21/03166/P
North Somerset Council planning application 21/P1679/OUT

In summary; the planning application to Bristol City Council is for a development of some 510 housing units, and the planning application to North Somerset Council is predominantly for roadway access onto the existing road network that falls within the North Somerset Council jurisdiction.

Portishead Railway Group’s Statement regarding the proposed development

Why Portishead Railway Group objects to the twin planning applications in their current form

Future development of the re-opened Bristol-Portishead Railway line will be jeopardised by the proposed Longmoor Village development.

The long-aspired reopening of the Bristol-Portishead railway was originally intended to provide a half-hourly service in both directions. All other recent railway reopenings have seen their passenger-usage rates vastly exceed their original predictions.

Most notably:
  • The Borders Railway has had to receive further massive infrastructure investment to cope with the increased number of passengers and trains, and this continues.
  • Similarly, the Ebbw Vale Line is just about to commence a similarly massive spate of further investment to provide increase infrastructure to cater for an increased number of
    trains to cope with the increased number of passengers.

There is no reason to think that the future of a reopened Bristol-Portishead railway will be any different, particularly in view of the overriding need to shift road transport away from single occupancy vehicles onto mass-transit schemes.

Why the proposed Longmoor Village development would jeopardise the long-term development of the Bristol-Portishead railway

The following summary explains why the current railway reopening scheme has had to be based upon an hourly service in each direction, with a 45-minute service at peak times:

1. To allow for the necessary guard-times either side of a train movement across the level crossing between Winterstoke Road and the Ashton Vale trading estate, a half-hourly train service in each direction would have meant that the level crossing would be closed to vehicular traffic for more than 50% of the time, with nowhere for queuing traffic to wait.
2. Therefore, to facilitate a half-hourly train service in both directions would require the permanent closure of the existing level crossing.
3. A road access bridge over the railway is impossible, so the only viable solution would be to build a new access road from the south of the Ashton Vale trading estate, to link up with the existing road network within the North Somerset Council jurisdiction. A scheme for this was devised by Metrowest and costed.
4. Unfortunately, the cost of provision of the new access road and the necessary compulsory purchase to facilitate its construction contributed to a funding mis-match between the available budget, and that required to complete the overall scheme.

Closing statement from Portishead Railway Group

Unless the proposed Longmoor Village development takes account of the inevitable future need to build a new access road between the Ashton Vale trading estate and the existing road network within North Somerset Council’s jurisdiction, then the Bristol-Portishead railway would never be able to accommodate a half-hourly train service.

This restriction on train frequency would severely limit the future ability to provide mass transport of people between Bristol, Pill and Portishead in a reduced-carbon manner.

Consequently, Portishead Railway Group urges Bristol City Council and North Somerset Council to reject the twin planning applications, and to make it clear to the would-be developer, and to any other would-be developers, that the relevant land area could only be similarly developed if provision for a new access road corridor for the Ashton Vale trading estate is included, ring-fenced, and built as part of a future development scheme.
Source: Portishead Railway Group

bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #999 on: November 14, 2022, 18:27:55 »

PORTISHEAD BRANCH LINE – METROWEST PHASE 1B DEVELOPMENT CONSENT ORDER 2022

The Secretary of State has decided, following consideration of the report of the Examining Authority who conducted an examination into the application, that development consent should be granted and therefore has made an Order under s114, 115 and 120 of the Planning Act 2008.

https://infrastructure.planninginspectorate.gov.uk/wp-content/ipc/uploads/projects/TR040011/TR040011-001708-Reg%2031%20Notice.pdf

The statement of reasons for deciding to make an Order granting development consent, which has been prepared by the Secretary of State under section 116 of the 2008 Act and regulation 31(2) of the Infrastructure Planning (Environmental Impact Assessment) Regulations 2017, containing the content of the decision, the requirements imposed in connection with the development, the main reasons and considerations on which the decision is based including relevant information about the participation of the public, a description of the main measures to avoid, reduce and offset any major effects of the development, and information regarding the right to challenge the decision and the procedures for doing so, is published on the Planning Inspectorate’s website: https://infrastructure.planning
https://infrastructure.planninginspectorate.gov.uk/projects/south-west/portishead-branch-line-metrowest-phase-1/
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: November 14, 2022, 19:49:51 »

Does this mean what I think it does?  Forgive me for asking but after all this time and all the delays and disappointments, it all seems a little unreal right now.  Does the bottle of bubbly come out of the fridge?
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: November 14, 2022, 21:34:31 »

I would love to think it is Full steam ahead, all systems go....for the next 3 days at least. Roll Eyes
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: November 14, 2022, 22:25:53 »

Does this mean what I think it does?  Forgive me for asking but after all this time and all the delays and disappointments, it all seems a little unreal right now.  Does the bottle of bubbly come out of the fridge?

It should, shouldn't it? I share your sentiment though, especially now - days before expected cuts to infrastructure budgets.

Full DCO (Driver Controlled Operation) document is here: https://infrastructure.planninginspectorate.gov.uk/wp-content/ipc/uploads/projects/TR040011/TR040011-001710-DCO%20as%20made%20by%20SoS.pdf

Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: November 15, 2022, 08:51:44 »

I'm not going to chill the ice bucket just yet...
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: November 15, 2022, 09:08:25 »

Do you think the new minister (i.e. SoS) came into the office on his first day shouting "what can I sign? I need to get my name in the history books as building a railway!"? The response from his civil servants was "well, minister, at the moment we've only got this Portishead DCO (Driver Controlled Operation) that's just about ready. The next one isn't due for some time ... how long will you be here, do you think?"
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 72
  Print  

Jump to: