Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 17:35 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
Delayed
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 17:37:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: refunds on all advance tickets?  (Read 8470 times)
infoman

View Profile
« on: March 24, 2020, 15:53:37 »

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/coronavirus-government-refund-train-tickets-21737099
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 16:45:12 »

Still waiting for the refund on my advance tickets booked through GWR (Great Western Railway) for travel at the beginning of April.  My account shows awaiting refund.  No news of any possible refund from SWR» (South Western Railway - about) for my booked advance ticket for travel mid May

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 17:14:44 »

Mine from the end of march hasn't appeared yet either.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2020, 18:35:56 »

The teams of staff that normally deal with this have a massive work load, not only advance tickets there is also season ticket refunds.

Also it should be remembered this staff group will be either working from home or the numbers of staff able to work in their offices could be reduced to 25% of the normal desk occupancy to manage the social distancing.

Given the office capacity the ToC's may have deemed the teams that deal with refunds as not key allowing office space available for the people who managing the current services.

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 19:48:11 »

The teams of staff that normally deal with this have a massive work load, not only advance tickets there is also season ticket refunds.

Also it should be remembered this staff group will be either working from home or the numbers of staff able to work in their offices could be reduced to 25% of the normal desk occupancy to manage the social distancing.

Given the office capacity the ToC's may have deemed the teams that deal with refunds as not key allowing office space available for the people who managing the current services.

That's understandable if it's the case, but why not communicate the reason for delay and give a likely timescale? Manage expectations!

GWR (Great Western Railway) are hopeless when it comes to customer communications and this is another example.
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2020, 13:53:31 »

Today I tried to claim a refund on an advance ticket booked through the SWR» (South Western Railway - about) site in mid March. Despite guidance to the contrary on the site there is no facility to claim the refund in "My Account". There is an on line form to claim refunds and I duly completed this.  However getting it to submit proved a step too far as I was repeatedly getting error messages - refresh and try again.  I finally resorted to using their standard feedback form and have received an automated acknowledgement. An exercise in making the simple difficult.  Has anyone else experiemced this problem with the SWR site?

rogerpatenall

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2020, 21:19:55 »

Not SWR» (South Western Railway - about), but a similar story on the Avanti site. Am trying to get a refund on a Euston - Machynlleth return. Can not do this on line as the site seems to accept only West Coast stations, not Wales. Currently seeking manual help.
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2020, 08:53:04 »

Today I tried to claim a refund on an advance ticket booked through the SWR» (South Western Railway - about) site in mid March. Despite guidance to the contrary on the site there is no facility to claim the refund in "My Account". There is an on line form to claim refunds and I duly completed this.  However getting it to submit proved a step too far as I was repeatedly getting error messages - refresh and try again.  I finally resorted to using their standard feedback form and have received an automated acknowledgement. An exercise in making the simple difficult.  Has anyone else experiemced this problem with the SWR site?

This was tweeted by SWR yesterday, although I am sure it's a repeat of one tweeted in the last week or two.

We’re working hard to process refunds quickly, but with a large increase in requests this is taking longer than usual.

We’ve increased the capacity at our refund centre, so we can speed up the process and get your refund processed sooner.

Thank you for your patience.

At least one reply states that the online form did not work for them. Most replies are from customers asking where their refunds are though!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2020, 09:17:50 »

Interesting item in The Guardian

Why is Eurostar setting a deadline for using its vouchers?

It won’t offer a refund as only one leg of the journey has been cancelled due to coronavirus

I guess National Rail rules don't apply to Eurostar, as their services are International.

As I read it, the person who's written in (and the journalist have investigated) has a trip booked from pre-pandemic days out to France and back a fortnight later.    The outbound service has been cancelled. The return service - weeks later - is still showing as running but Eurostar are not offering a refund if the people travelling wish to cancel that (surely they would if they can't travel out in the first place) but is instead offering vouchers - and vouchers with relatively short timeframes on rebooking (by end of September) and travelling (by end of April next).

Personal view - if a TOC (Train Operating Company) cancels one leg of a ticket with an itinerary, the whole thing should be refundable unless there's a virtually-identical equivalent offered for the lost leg.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 09:24:26 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2020, 16:49:50 »

A colleague had a similar problem with flights to France. BA» (British Airways - about) cancelled the outward journey but said that didn't impact the return journey even though they'd cancelled all flights to the city.

Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2020, 20:07:47 »

Mark Hopwood has posted a video on Twitter today regarding SWR» (South Western Railway - about) refunds.

We’ve received around 23,000 requests for refunds in the last five weeks, of which 5,000 have already been processed.

For those who have requested a refund, please see below an important message from our MD Mark Hopwood

https://twitter.com/SW_Help/status/1255149532507070468

Once you've watched that, there's another video from the refund processing centre if you scroll down.
Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2020, 12:26:24 »

Had an email from GWR (Great Western Railway) telling me my refund hadn't been forgotten.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2020, 17:43:05 »

Caledonian Sleeper have updated their refund arrangements.   Prior to yesterday you could apply for a refund on an advance "fixed" ticket for all journeys until the end of May without penalty.

The new policy is

We continue to keep our refund policy under review during the period of COVD 19 restrictions and understand that the virus may have impacted our guests’ reasons for travel after the end of May. We await further Government guidance on any changes to current restrictions.

However, we do recognise that for some guests plans may have already been impacted.

Any guest who has purchased a Fixed Ticket prior to March 22nd and was planning to attend an event or travel from overseas between 30th May and 31st August 2020, and has now had an element of their trip cancelled, can apply for a refund, with no administration fee

I am not sure how strictly the necessity for an event to be cancelled to qualify would (or indeed could) be checked.

I was due to travel in the first week of June.   I applied this morning and this afternoon had an email telling me the refund will be in my bank next Tuesday.
Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2020, 18:31:25 »

I got a refund for some advance tickets last week around 4 weeks after posting them off.  That doesn't seem an unreasonable time under the current circumstances.
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2020, 16:08:46 »

Still no communication from GWR (Great Western Railway).  We are now over 6 weeks since the claim which was made through the "My Account" section of their site and 5 weeks since the intended travel date. I have not even received the email apologising for the delay. By contrast my claim to SWR» (South Western Railway - about) submitted on 27 April has been approved today. I wonder of my problem is the method of submission of the claim and should I contact them to check on its status. Any views?

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: