I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 00:35 29 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningShort Run
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 00:41:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: refunds on all advance tickets?  (Read 8474 times)
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2020, 16:42:25 »

Still no communication from GWR (Great Western Railway).  We are now over 6 weeks since the claim which was made through the "My Account" section of their site and 5 weeks since the intended travel date. I have not even received the email apologising for the delay. By contrast my claim to SWR» (South Western Railway - about) submitted on 27 April has been approved today. I wonder of my problem is the method of submission of the claim and should I contact them to check on its status. Any views?

When GWR "Customer Service" completely fell over a few years back & correspondence just disappeared into a void, after waiting for several months I ended up emailing Herr Hopwood advising him that the next email would be a lot less polite and copied to every newspaper I could think of......literally within hours I had a reply, and a week or so later, unannounced, 2 x complimentary 1st class Anytime return tickets landed on my letterbox - not my usual style but it got results!!!
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2020, 18:08:16 »

It appears that the error may have been made by me. It appears that you can only claim through "My account" if the tickets have not been collected.  On line claim forms now submitted

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2020, 19:09:21 »

It appears that the error may have been made by me. It appears that you can only claim through "My account" if the tickets have not been collected.  On line claim forms now submitted
If you've collected the tickets you also need to post them off,  preferably by signed for delivery. (At least, I had to, but whilst I applied online, I don't think I did it through "my account", so that might be a different process.
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2020, 19:19:25 »

They accept scanned pictures of the tickets but they must be cut in half before scanning

Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2020, 15:35:08 »

There's now a slightly different link for tickets bought at stations but seems very straightforward.

Just done my annual season ticket and according to the Network Rail calculator that's about £3K back on a £4.4K ticket.

Now I just need to avoid going into work until August to avoid losing money.
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2020, 22:32:34 »

If you haven't travelled since 17th March, you have until tomorrow to submit your refund claim. That being 56 days later.

From SWR» (South Western Railway - about) on Twitter
Thank you for not travelling. If you have train tickets you’re not using:

We’ve 2x the time you can claim a refund to 8 weeks for unused tickets
Monday 11 is the last day to backdate your claim to 17 March for season tickets

and the link to National Rail Enquiries backs that up so presumably applies to all TOC (Train Operating Company)'s
Season Tickets can be refunded at any time and train companies calculate how much is refunded by how much value is left on your ticket. They do this by deducting the value of any other tickets you could have travelled with in the same time until you stopped using your Season Ticket. This refund can be backdated up to 56 days from when it is submitted, to the last date it was used (or to 17 March 2020, whichever is later) if you were unable to travel due to the government’s guidance about only travelling if essential during the pandemic.
If you were unable to travel due to illness immediately before the government’s guidance was given in March, you can apply for this to be backdated further with evidence of the period you were ill.
To see how much you could get back from your Season Ticket, try the Season Ticket Refund Calculator below. For more information, including if you require a refund due to sickness that prevented you from using a Season Ticket, see the Season Ticket Conditions page.
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2020, 14:24:10 »

Anyone know what GWR (Great Western Railway)'s response time is currently on refunds. Put two claims in on 7th May but no response as yet

Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2020, 19:30:40 »

Anyone know what GWR (Great Western Railway)'s response time is currently on refunds. Put two claims in on 7th May but no response as yet

27 days on average apparently.
https://www.gwr.com/help-and-support/refunds-and-compensation/unused-ticket-refunds

Are GWR refunds handled by the same team as SWR» (South Western Railway - about)? If so, this may be of interest -

From South Western Railway
We have received around 35,000 refund requests in total, and we have processed around 29,000 of them. This means, around 83% of requests have been processed, with around 6,000 currently outstanding.

We have been processing the requests according to date of application, with different teams working on different ticket types.
  • Smartcard refund requests – processed up to 12 May application date
  • Car park refund requests – processed up to 13 May application date
  • Paper ticket refund requests – processed up to 25 May application date
  • Website ticket refund requests – all processed

Please bear in mind that once your refund has been processed, it often takes three to five days for your bank to process our transaction.

We anticipate that we will process all outstanding refund requests by mid to late June. If you are a Smartcard holder, please refer to the below table to find out when you might be able to expect your refund.

There are now around 1,900 refund requests for which we’re waiting on further information from customers. If you think your request has been missed, please check your email and voicemail, and respond to us, so we can process your request as soon as possible.
Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2020, 21:18:52 »

Season ticket on the 10th May and nothing yet. My advance ticket took 35 days so guess they're still working through the backlog.

I did get an email along the lines of still processing just before the advance ticket refund so I don't know if the acknowledgements go out as someone reaches your request?

I'd still like a bit more communication as more than £3K owed and I've had to buy a couple of on the day tickets which seems the worst of both worlds.
brcw2

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2020, 08:55:59 »

Season ticket on the 10th May and nothing yet. My advance ticket took 35 days so guess they're still working through the backlog.

I did get an email along the lines of still processing just before the advance ticket refund so I don't know if the acknowledgements go out as someone reaches your request?

I'd still like a bit more communication as more than £3K owed and I've had to buy a couple of on the day tickets which seems the worst of both worlds.

My season ticket request went in on 20th April, and nothing yet apart from the 'still processing' email.  Agreed that more communication would be good - even info about the numbers of claims received and handled so far would give some context and some sense of progress.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2020, 09:30:39 »

I think we have the basis for a question here for "Meet the Manager" next Thursday - though individual case detail should probably be followed through outside the forum's public areas.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2020, 13:08:50 »

to update things I received an email today from GWR (Great Western Railway) telling me that my refund will be with me shortly. That's without chasing

Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2020, 19:47:17 »

to update things I received an email today from GWR (Great Western Railway) telling me that my refund will be with me shortly. That's without chasing

Same here.
Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2020, 10:36:24 »

And arrived in my bank account this morning  Smiley
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2020, 10:48:32 »

mine was on my credit card on Monday. Fast work once the decision was made.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: