Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 19:35 28 Mar 2024
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:50 Gloucester to Salisbury
18:19 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
19:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 19:44:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you do when you can't go to the pub or social club?  (Read 6424 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« on: March 24, 2020, 19:15:34 »

Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 19:18:24 »

He should get out more ...oh no of course.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 21:56:54 »

I stay at home and talk to my wife, catching up on things I've missed. Apparently, she's been made redundant from Woolworths.

Now, please!
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 14:12:55 »

If you have, or think that you might have any children, it would be well to ascertain how many, what their names are, how old they are, and related facts. Wives consider this sort of thing to be important.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 14:20:28 »

I wonder how many of us have a model railway.  Here is mine, set on the GWR (Great Western Railway) in 1947. Note the GWR stone crusher, Swindon made a few of these you know…

I hope S&TE is impressed that I designed and built in full route-setting and interlocking, using over 100 diodes and 24 relays.

MVR S&T
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 14:52:32 »

Can we see a photo of the diode route seting please, I have a 7 way route indicator to drive, to decode 7 inputs to 35 leds.
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2020, 15:21:48 »

Here it is.  I didn’t want to use any decoders etc, just rotary switches, diodes, relays and veroboard.  Not very tidy I’m afraid!  It’s all 12 volt from a lead acid battery.

Designing the circuits was the straightforward bit.  Building it, and soldering 100 diodes to verobard, wasn’t!  The bought-in PCB's are for traction control.  On the main running lines I tend to leave the traction power constant, and control the whole lot from the control panel.  As trains approach a junction they stop and wait for for me to set a route and then I push a button to start the train off.   It's an analogue system: some routes reverse the power supply on some sections of track.  No signals yet, they're expensive!  If I concentrate I can run 4 trains at the same time.

LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2020, 15:32:54 »

Burnt the contents of the shed as I can’t go to the dump.cut grass, painted all the worn wood work around the garden

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2020, 15:34:03 »

The push buttons A – E are entry buttons, 1-5 are exits.  The LED’s light up selected routes, so you see I’ve set up 2 parallel routes B3 and D5.

SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2020, 15:46:17 »

Very good stuff.  I'll pass you out.  Personally, I model in 0 Gauge and have my layout under construction.  Pleanty of spare time for that at the moment, so it will progress reasonably quickly.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 15:58:29 by SandTEngineer » Logged
MVR S&T
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2020, 16:03:58 »

Go to your local brewery for a takeaway:

From https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/further-businesses-and-premises-to-close/further-businesses-and-premises-to-close-guidance

Off-licences and licenced shops selling alcohol, including those within breweries Smiley
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2020, 16:08:07 »

I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in grahame's Garden thread, both equally relevant.

Apologies for the very poor quality pictures, but these were taken in the late 1960's with a Box Brownie using 620 film. At that time, I was a young teenager and a member of Exeter Crusaders. We were taken on an outing to the vicarage at Nymet Rowland, near Crediton where the vicar had built his own O'gauge garden railway. If I recall correctly, his layout snaked around the large garden and was several hundred yards long. His pride and joy were his pair of Hymeks. I can't think of a better way to while away the hours - particularly now the sun is out! Such a shame that this layout disappeared some years ago.

SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2020, 16:24:40 »

This cropped up on another forum I belong to......  Grin

Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2020, 16:42:26 »

I have created a Virtual Pub...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2020, 18:38:07 »

When not in my beer garden I do have some N guage modelling on the go. I'm mainly repairing, cleaning and fettling rolling stock at the moment. I've found that OHP acetate sheets are ideal to cut to size to refresh carriage windows. I've also converted a couple of Cromptons to DCC» (Devon County Council - website) and failed to convert a GWR (Great Western Railway) Castle. Toothbrushes are a necessity. Just don't put them back in the bathroom mug after they've been dipped in meths!

I've done some rough plans for my table top layout too. I'm Probably only at GRIP stage 2, so expect project close out sometime in the 2030s.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 20:22:51 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: