06:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
06:50 London Paddington to Evesham
07:12 Plymouth to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 23, 2024, 08:08:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[155] You see all sorts on the bus.
[53] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[46] Where have I been?
[44] "We can’t get from A to B in Britain and it might just be th...
[41] "Mayflower"
[34] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you do when you can't go to the pub or social club?  (Read 6550 times)
patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2020, 09:31:03 »

I prefer a smoother tasting single malt and my favourite is Cragganmore of which I have 2 in stock of which 1 has been in stock for at least 8 years besides the 12 years ageing of this classic malt before purchasing.

I'm at the more aggressive end of the scale and tucking into a very pleasant Port Charlotte 10, with emergency reserves of Laphroaig, Lagavulin etc. If things get too serious, I'll consider opening the Octomore  Shocked
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2020, 10:18:13 »

I prefer a smoother tasting single malt and my favourite is Cragganmore of which I have 2 in stock of which 1 has been in stock for at least 8 years besides the 12 years ageing of this classic malt before purchasing.

I'm at the more aggressive end of the scale and tucking into a very pleasant Port Charlotte 10, with emergency reserves of Laphroaig, Lagavulin etc. If things get too serious, I'll consider opening the Octomore  Shocked

I'm sure I once read tasting notes for Ardbeg that went something like this:

Sweet Jeyes Fluid counterbalanced with roadmender's tar and diesel fumes followed by that surging tang of burnt sewage that we all know and love.

Who could resist? Not I!

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2020, 12:31:51 »

Sweet Jeyes Fluid counterbalanced with roadmender's tar and diesel fumes followed by that surging tang of burnt sewage that we all know and love.

Reminds me of Spike Milligan's saga of a day spent trying to get a serving of a shark someone had obtained somehow, in "Adolf Hitler - My Part in his Downfall". Something along the lines of:
To replicate the taste of shark, boil old newspapers in Sloanes Liniment."

Me? One glass of wine so far this month, and it's the 27th already. Those numbers have on occasion been reversed.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 19:53:47 by TonyK » Logged

Now, please!
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2020, 12:33:37 »

A 20L bag-in-a-box of Cotswold Cider No-Brainer is currently helping me through self-isolation (I appear to have coronavirus, but very mild symptoms so far at least). When I say "currently", I don't mean right now at 12.30pm. That would be decadent.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2020, 12:47:35 »

I appear to have coronavirus, but very mild symptoms so far at least.

Look after yourself, Richard ... forum very much open to posts, p.m.s, reading.  Get well soon.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2020, 12:53:42 »

I have to confess I've been naughty and with a Tinny or 6 watched my first Blue Movie.
 Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Have to admit I'd forgotten how young I was when we filmed it.  Grin Grin Grin Grin

patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2020, 14:32:41 »

A 20L bag-in-a-box of Cotswold Cider No-Brainer is currently helping me through self-isolation (I appear to have coronavirus, but very mild symptoms so far at least). When I say "currently", I don't mean right now at 12.30pm. That would be decadent.

Surely the symptoms of coronavirus and the after-effects of 20l of Cotswold Cider are pretty much identical?  Grin

Get well soon - I hope it stays mild (you're in good company now Boris has it too...)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 16:35:34 by patch38 » Logged
MVR S&T
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2020, 23:24:23 »

And if you want to know 'how it's made': https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000qsf3/inside-the-factory-series-6-1-cider

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2020, 02:04:02 »

I keep a supply of "winters gold" malt whiskey for visitors, but seldom drink whiskey myself.
I prefer beer with a meal, and port or brandy afterwards.

Friends had a borderline "bedroom farce"
Husband invited relatives to stay for Christmas, without enquiry as to numbers in the invited family.
Wife invited other relatives to stay, again without enquiry as to numbers.
It was then realised that numbers were excessive.

Father to child "please go into the loft and bring down the box of air beds"
Child "the ones we threw out because they were no good"
Father "Ahem, I think that there are three camp beds up there, bring them then"
Child "Only one, uncle broke one last year when pished, and you broke another trying to put it up"

Father, oh dear, I shall telephone broadgage and ask if he knows where to to buy those flat packed government surplus beds.
These were duly ordered, at a cost of ?200, but delivered to ME and not the address where they were needed.
Four heavy duty steel flat packed beds are surprisingly heavy to transport by horse drawn cart, but we managed.

Mother to other child "please bring all the spare duvets from the cupboard"
"Oh no, they have been nibbled by mice, have holes in them, and smell of mouse" Feathers everwhere.
"one is intact, but smells of mouse, I will wash it" Came apart in washing machine, which is now broken and full of dirty water and feathers.
Washing machine found to be BER, new one ordered at a cost of ?350.

Mother "well we have one new duvet, still in the box in your room"
Child "No we do not. I put it on my bed because my old duvet was no more good. I put the old one in the dog basket"
Mother "then what is in the duvet box ?"
Child "three torn sheets, I think that they are 100 years old, a blanket with a hole in it, surplus from the Boer war, and some old school uniform"

Mother "broadgage will know where to buy decent bedding cheap"
Ordered as needed, despite competitive prices, still came to about ?250.

Learning points.
Before inviting people to stay, double check numbers, what you thought was one guest may now have a partner and some children.
Count number of beds, and ensure folding or blow up beds are servicable.
Ensure that you have enough bedding, this needs counting and inspecting for cleanliness and condition.
DONT WASH a feather duvet at home.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2020, 16:08:27 »

Follow up re above.

If you have mice, and your pet cat dies, it is well to promptly adopt another cat, preferably before the mice realise.
Folding camp beds are OK for children, but not entirely suitable for large adults esp if "pished"
Camp beds provide no insulation under the occupant. A thick blanket or two is required under the user as well as blankets or a duvet on top.
Children may object to being housed in a shed, but if you can brand this a "camping adventure"  or perhaps "your own little house" then it can become most attractive. Fast internet, and a gas heater are essential. Place a guard around the heater.

The cheap (but 100% cotton) sheets and cheap but all wool blankets that I ordered on line were much liked. "better than we have at home" according to  several of the kids. Parents looked a bit disgusted that such cheap bedding was actualy better liked than the perhaps more costly items used at home.

Food was considered a great succes and consisted largely of Canada geese and home produced vegetables. Goose suasages for breakfast.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2021, 03:05:11 »

Lessons have been learnt and improved plans made for the approaching Christmas.
Ample "proper" beds for adults and sufficient military surplus folding beds for children. Large stocks of all cotton sheets and all wool blankets. Much of the extra bedding purchased for visitors last year has been requisitioned by the resident children as being better than that previously used. ONLY  new and unissued government surplus blankets from  Poland will do, on the grounds that it is "very cold in Poland and that blankets from Poland will therefore be warm" The bright blue/orange checked  ones are best.
THREE new cats against mice. The cat adopted at the beginning of this year died suddenly, perhaps from over excitement and/or over eating. She allegedly ate a dozen mice in an hour. 

Assorted children are looking forward to another "camping adventure" in the large shed which has been furnished with every luxury. Two gas heaters, with suitable fire guards, fast internet, and a gas light to avoid a total blackout  when excessive use of electricity trips something.

Home made wine is stocked, beer brewing is underway, freezer well stocked with goose dishes. Canada geese are large, stupid, and good to eat.

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2021, 09:29:31 »

You do make much more sense at gone 3am.  Wink

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: