Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 10:35 28 Mar 2024
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
* How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
07:20 Swansea to London Paddington
07:48 London Paddington to Swansea
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:23 Southampton Central to Bristol Temple Meads
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:05 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 10:45:08 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[109] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[75] Return of the BRUTE?
[59] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[26] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Smokey's Picture Quiz (with no pictures!!)  (Read 4244 times)
smokey

View Profile
« on: March 28, 2020, 16:30:28 »

As I gave a bit of an introduction about myself yesterday.

It got me thinking about the good old days and how you can't repeat the things I once did as routine. Sorry I've got an old PC that I can't upload pictures too.

So using your own internal picture memory of things you have Seen and Heard on the Railways (and of course upload pictures of said remembered image if you wish).

Let me ask you for your memories of things that were common daily occurrences on the Railway back in the 1970s that No longer occur daily.  (Railway related only).

Only one entry a day please, give everyone a chance!

As a Start I'll give the first memory.

No 1.   Steam Heating on Passenger Trains  (yes it still occurs on Heritage railways)..
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 16:46:05 »

Aged 6. Being lifted into the cab of a 47 waiting time at Taunton and being allowed to blast the two-tone.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2020, 17:01:11 »

Aged 8 (with 13 year old brother) in early 1965:  Cycled from Pinhoe to Exmouth Junction shed. Left bikes outside the entrance (unlocked of course). Crept on hands and knees passed the Shed Managers Office window. Got the numbers of the various Westcountry Pacifics, Ivatt Tanks and a couple of 14xx locos.

Then, saw 34026 'Yes Tor' in steam just outside the shed; caught the attention of the driver: "Excuse me, sir. Can we come on the footplate?" "Yes, of course" came the reply. Whilst on the footplate, the driver said "I'm taking her to Central, you can come if you like!"

"Why not" said my brother. So, there were four people on the footplate as 34026 made its way to Exeter Central.

Slight problem though. We had to make our own way back to Exmouth Junction to get our bikes and were both covered in oil and soot. Interesting explanation on arrival back at home.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2020, 17:06:08 »

Arriving at the station for the daily commute, listening for the single 'ding' on the bell for the up line followed by a 3-1 'dings' from the previous signal box offering the morning commuter train to the city.
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2020, 17:15:53 »

Compartment coaches - remember the mark 1s with their lumpy bench seats, stiff sliding doors, "all or nothing" heaters and the sliding vents in the top of the windows that refused to yield to increasing force until suddenly they would jerk apart beyond the markers indicating where you should stop to avoid a draught and resolutely refuse to go back to them?
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2020, 17:17:45 »

Seeing the rotating beams of the lighthouse next to Hoek Van Holland railway station after the early morning ferry arrival and before the late evening ferry departure back to Harwich.
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2020, 17:20:19 »

Compartment coaches - remember the mark 1s with their lumpy bench seats, stiff sliding doors, "all or nothing" heaters and the sliding vents in the top of the windows that refused to yield to increasing force until suddenly they would jerk apart beyond the markers indicating where you should stop to avoid a draught and resolutely refuse to go back to them?

I remember a weekender railtour from Euston to Inverness in the mid-1970s. Eight people to a compartment made sleeping during the overnight journeys impossible!
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2020, 20:01:29 »

Being lifted on to the footplate of the 0-4-2 tank at Brixham at the age of 4.

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2020, 20:32:39 »

A warm summer in 1966. Cycling down to Brownedge Level Crossing - the strong sweet smell of warm creosote coming off the crossing timbers. Long converging steel lines of rails off to mysterious places whence came barking Black Fives pounding through with clanking waggons - the sound of bells ringing out from the crossing 'box windows - birdsong - sunshine - and the urgent shout of the bobby to get the ****** off his crossing!! Oxonhutch - aged 5-6. Still love the smell of creosote.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2020, 21:55:28 »

Coming back from South Wales after seeing my grandparents in the late 60s.  Looking out the window as we approached Reading and seeing the famous Nelson’s Hat signal as you approached from the west.  Might well have fired my interest in railway signalling. 

Will try to find a photo of the signal tomorrow. 
TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2020, 22:07:35 »

Travelling from Worcester to Leeds for Christmas. I think it was 1964 I was 7.
Finding that the Diesel had been replaced by a Black 5 due to a faulty Steam heat boiler.
Banked up the Lickey. Stopping at a building site called Birmingham new street and diverted to Bradford Exchange due to the rebuilding of Leeds.
Later my Mother wrote to BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) children's hour and got a recording of the Lickey banker played for me.
All gone now including Bradford exchange.
Reginald25
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2020, 07:07:43 »

At age 10 or thereabouts, I went to Scarborough on family holiday. We stayed at Scalby station, by then closed but the line to Filey was still operational, so our back windows led out onto the platform (I can't remember if we had access by a door to the platform). A highlight of the holiday was travelling on a DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) passing through the closed station. The station yard also had several camping coaches at the time. Great times.
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2020, 07:40:34 »

I used to be the school projectionist, in charge of a 16mm Bell and Howell projector. A collection of us up in the gallery were the technical experts of the time. Lights dimmed using Admiralty stud rheostats, first experiments with stereo for the intro music.

This one night we thought we would do something different. The intro music was faded the lights went down and before the film started we put "Castles in the Chilterns"(Argo Transacord) at full volume. That rocked them in their seats. The wonders of then new technology. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMegBD-xNoY

A few years later when I was in the army I was a part-time projectionist for the SKC (Services Kinema Corporation). The cinema at Arborfield was a large corrugated iron building with two mercury arc projectors, and a notice by the volume control: light rain increase by three, heavy rain increase by four.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 08:31:29 by CyclingSid » Logged
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2020, 10:08:21 »

As a teenager in the late '70's going on summer holiday trips from the Thames Valley (Reading) to my grandparents in Plymouth. Usually behind a Class 47 or Western in (I think) Mark 2 coaches.
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2020, 11:52:25 »

At college in Portsmouth in the 1960s, we had to go to the Natural History Museum for the day. We went by train To Waterloo. I decided to catch the Mail back, steam hauled via Eastleigh. Chatted to the driver and was given a footplate ride on the SW main from Woking to Basingstoke in the middle of the night.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: