07:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
07:24 Taunton to London Paddington
07:25 Worcester Shrub Hill to London Paddington
07:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
08:32 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
Delayed
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 08:27:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[159] A daily picture from my recent travels
[78] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[68] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[66] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[55] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[35] Europeran Rail Timetable

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: More local ferry operator news  (Read 3595 times)
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« on: March 29, 2020, 15:05:21 »

The government has suspended competition rules for the Isle of Wight ferry operators
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-to-suspend-competition-law-to-support-isle-of-wight-ferry-routes
This is primarily to keep essential goods flowing, and allow access to mainland health services.

At about the same time Wightlink has suspended the Lymington - Yarmouth ferry https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-52071468

Some islanders want all ferry services suspended to protect them from the virus.
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 17:40:27 »

No ferry services?  Reckon there would be a shortage of Food and Toilet Rolls very soon Grin
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 17:44:54 »

No ferry services?  Reckon there would be a shortage of Food and Toilet Rolls very soon Grin
[/quote]

Where's broadgage when you want him..  Sad
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 15:13:50 by GBM » Logged

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
MVR S&T
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 19:03:35 »

Portsmouth to the island stopped now too, from SWR» (South Western Railway - about) journey check.

Please be aware that the Wight Link ferries between Portsmouth / Lymington and the Isle of Wight have been suspended until further notice. 
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 20:32:00 »

Portsmouth to the island stopped now too, from SWR» (South Western Railway - about) journey check.

Please be aware that the Wight Link ferries between Portsmouth / Lymington and the Isle of Wight have been suspended until further notice. 
I expect SWR are probably reporting about the Lymington to Yarmouth and the passenger service from Portsmouth Harbour to Ryde, But as of today the Wightlink site still has the Portsmouth to Fishbourne ferry operating two hourly.

Paul
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2020, 18:41:53 »

The government is giving a hand to the ferries
Emergency fund of up to £10.5 million to support lifeline transport links to the Isle of Wight and the Isles of Scilly
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/emergency-fund-of-up-to-105-million-to-support-lifeline-transport-links-to-the-isle-of-wight-and-the-isles-of-scilly

Also announced, BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Live
Drones trial for Isle of Wight hospital announced

We just heard the transport secretary say there is going to be a review looking at how drones will be used during the pandemic. Here's a bit more detail on that.

The Department for Transport says it will fast track the launch of a new trial using drones between the mainland and St Mary’s Hospital on the Isle of Wight.

It follows £28m awarded by the government earlier this year to Southampton and Portsmouth councils to carry out drone trials of this kind as part of a wider future transport zone trial.
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2020, 08:11:05 »

Heard the occasional aircraft fly over to/from LEQ» (Land's End Airport - about)/Landsend airport, mostly enroute to the Scillies.
I had assumed that the type of aircraft they utilised had to be 'run up' and fly so many hours hours a month; plus keeping their MoT (do they have MoT?) up to date.
Fully aware the jumbo's need services at -so-many-hours- so guess the smaller ones also require a similar service.
Also aware pilots need to perform so many hours a month flying, and would that apply to the Scillies craft?

Whilst the Scillonian and Mali Rose are laid up, the Gry Maritha is taking freight from Penzance.
Of course, the all three would have been working flat out for the past few months as the World Pilot Gig rowing championships would be next week (1st-3rd May).  There would be no accommodation to be had on the Scillies anywhere!

Plus of course, this year the newly reformed Tresco helicopters would have been flying to Tresco and St Marys.
I understand they were having to use a smaller helicopter as their new 16 seater was stuck in China under the Chinese lockdown.
However, they ceased operations within a few weeks of opening in March.

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2020, 11:25:06 »

One morning last week I watched 2 flights on FlightRadar24 leave Isles of Scilly for Lands End about 10 minutes apart. I looked to see if that was normal but the Isles of Scilly Travel website is not currently displaying timetables.
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2020, 11:30:13 »

The Sandbanks ferry has also stopped.

From BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) on 20th April
A ferry that links Poole and Studland on the Dorset coast is to be halted, with operators blaming a lack of financial support from the government.

Sandbanks chain ferry said it asked the Department for Transport (DfT» (Department for Transport - about)) for help to keep running for key workers but it had "not been forthcoming".

The ferry, which saves a journey of up to 25 miles, will stop on Monday night.
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2020, 11:38:06 »

One morning last week I watched 2 flights on FlightRadar24 leave Isles of Scilly for Lands End about 10 minutes apart. I looked to see if that was normal but the Isles of Scilly Travel website is not currently displaying timetables.
From the Isle of Scilly Steamship website, I gather freight goes on the Gry M; whilst essential passenger travel still goes by air.
Also wonder if it's the way of keeping pilots hours up.

CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2020, 14:20:04 »

Isle of Wight (Cowes) chain ferry is out of operation:
https://www.iwfloatingbridge.co.uk/update-on-cowes-floating-bridge-essential-works-required/
How long have they had this new ferry?
TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2020, 16:27:03 »

I think its been in use about 4 years. however its not very reliable. Last time I was there at the end of 2018. The hinge on the West Cowes end ramp had snapped. Its not the sort of thing Screwfix keep in stock.

On an earlier visit the new ferry had just been put into use but was having some work done the day I was there.

So I have only got to use it once and then there was a hold up. It was high tide and someone discovered that the front of his Aston Martin hit the road when unloading in East Cowes. Much to the amusment of the locals queuing to board.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2020, 00:19:34 »

On a very local level, the cross-harbour ferries from Hannover Quay to the SS GB (Great Britain) in Bristol have recently restarted.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
infoman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2020, 06:55:30 »

Thats good news, and nice to hear.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2020, 16:29:42 »

For very short crossings, there is a lot be said for chain ferries, since they may be hauled by relatively clean and green electric power rather than by diesel engines.
For slightly longer routes, battery power is now available.

In my view, existing diesel power powered ferries should continue in service for their economic lives, perhaps being re-deployed on other routes.

Newly built ferries should be electric, unless there is some compelling reason to do otherwise.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: