Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
07:49 Bedwyn to Newbury
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:48 Exeter St Davids to Exmouth
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
07:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 07:26:17 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Three year direct award for GWR  (Read 2764 times)
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: March 30, 2020, 08:29:40 »

DfT» (Department for Transport - about) announced 3year direct award for GWR (Great Western Railway), extendible for fourth year

https://twitter.com/richard_rail/status/1244511426963820545?s=21
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 08:46:14 »

DfT» (Department for Transport - about)'s announcement also covers Southeastern:
Critical rail services protected in new deals for GWR (Great Western Railway) and Southeastern

Vital connections between the South of England and Wales ensured during the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.
Published 30 March 2020
  • government signs new contracts with Southeastern and GWR to ensure vital train services continue to connect the South of England and Wales during COVID-19 outbreak
  • new agreements with Govia and First will ensure that those who need to can continue to travel and will provide certainty for staff working on the railways
  • long-term capacity improvements have also been agreed as part of the contracts

No sign of any more details yet.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 09:08:03 »

From my mailbox ... copied here in spite of saying "personal thank you" as I suspect that Matthew has written to quite a number of people, who, yes, he has personally worked with in partnership over the years and I hope we can continue to do so for years ahead.   There is an excellent team of rail professionals at GWR (Great Western Railway) and together we can help them tackle the challenges ahead.

Dear Graham

I wanted to drop you a quick note to confirm that FirstGroup and the Department for Transport (DfT» (Department for Transport - about)) have signed a new Direct Award to continue operating GWR from 1 April 2020, when the current agreement comes to an end.  This will run for three years, with the option for the government to add a further year and will run concurrently with the six months Emergency Measures Agreement now in place with the DfT. 

This will mean we can use our experience of managing the route over many years to keep the railway running for key workers and essential travel. Our responsibility right now is to run a service that can be relied upon, and this is where our current focus lies.

It is also important to take a moment to look forward to a time when things return to normal, once the current crisis has abated. It will be essential for the local, regional and national economy that we are ready to support our customers, our stakeholders and our communities as they begin to rebuild.

The new franchise will allow us to build on the radical changes we have made over the last ten years.    It will not be a stand-still franchise. We will have a full programme of investment in our stations, in our services and in our communities, and over the coming weeks I will send more details of our plans.

I did not want this day to pass without sending a personal thank you for all your help in getting us to this point. We really value the support given by our stakeholders and partners and we look forward to continuing to work with you.

Best Regards

Matthew Golton

PS – If you missed the DfT media release you can read it here

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/critical-rail-services-protected-in-new-deals-for-gwr-and-southeastern

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 09:42:07 »

From my mailbox ... copied here in spite of saying "personal thank you" as I suspect that Matthew has written to quite a number of people, who, yes, he has personally worked with in partnership over the years and I hope we can continue to do so for years ahead.   There is an excellent team of rail professionals at GWR (Great Western Railway) and together we can help them tackle the challenges ahead.

Dear Graham

I wanted to drop you a quick note to confirm that FirstGroup and the Department for Transport (DfT» (Department for Transport - about)) have signed a new Direct Award to continue operating GWR from 1 April 2020, when the current agreement comes to an end.  This will run for three years, with the option for the government to add a further year and will run concurrently with the six months Emergency Measures Agreement now in place with the DfT. 

This will mean we can use our experience of managing the route over many years to keep the railway running for key workers and essential travel. Our responsibility right now is to run a service that can be relied upon, and this is where our current focus lies.

It is also important to take a moment to look forward to a time when things return to normal, once the current crisis has abated. It will be essential for the local, regional and national economy that we are ready to support our customers, our stakeholders and our communities as they begin to rebuild.

The new franchise will allow us to build on the radical changes we have made over the last ten years.    It will not be a stand-still franchise. We will have a full programme of investment in our stations, in our services and in our communities, and over the coming weeks I will send more details of our plans.

I did not want this day to pass without sending a personal thank you for all your help in getting us to this point. We really value the support given by our stakeholders and partners and we look forward to continuing to work with you.

Best Regards

Matthew Golton

PS – If you missed the DfT media release you can read it here

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/critical-rail-services-protected-in-new-deals-for-gwr-and-southeastern

I've been advised the 3 years will commence when the current emergency timetables revert to normal.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 09:59:07 »

I've been advised the 3 years will commence when the current emergency timetables revert to normal.

That's not what DfT» (Department for Transport - about)'s announcement says:
These agreements will run concurrently with the emergency measures agreements announced earlier this week which will see the government temporarily take on the revenue and cost risk associated with individual franchises. These measures ensure that key services will keep running across the UK (United Kingdom).

Great Western Railway, owned by FirstGroup, has been awarded a direct award for 3 years, extendable to 4. Southeastern, owned by Govia, has also been awarded a direct award for up to 2 years.

So OK, there was a bit more detail about the timing and background - but not on the content of the contract and any service levels.
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 10:17:09 »

Good news, although not unexpected. I eagerly await further details

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 11:50:43 »

The regulatory statement from First Group gives a few more hints of detail, although not much.
The agreement has a strong emphasis on improving regional connectivity, helping customers return to the railway by making rail a more convenient and environmentally-friendly way to travel. As part of this, GWR (Great Western Railway) will bring additional trains into service to provide thousands of extra seats on regional routes across the network.
There will also be increased funding to improve services for local communities and at stations, and the introduction of a combination of new flexible ticket products for customers who do not commute to work every day, such as discounted part-time season tickets and the extension of paperless pay-as-you-go schemes.
ray951
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2020, 13:24:50 »

The regulatory statement from First Group gives a few more hints of detail, although not much.
As part of this, GWR (Great Western Railway) will bring additional trains into service to provide thousands of extra seats on regional routes across the network.

Hope this includes Didcot - Oxford, but could just refer to the class 769, if they ever appear.
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2020, 14:32:23 »

There is a reference in the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) press release to new capacity in the Bristol and Exeter areas but not Oxfordshire.

However, I agree that the shrinkage in Didcot-Oxford capacity has been somewhat of a victim of the service changes in regular times (as has Reading to Oxford in the evening peak). Even if this has been influenced in some part through circumstance rather than all arising from deliberate choice it was regrettable.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2020, 20:43:48 »

BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page): https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-52096200

Coronavirus: 'Decisive action' taken on rail contracts

Two train operators have been given new franchises by the government to "provide certainty" during the coronavirus pandemic.

Great Western Railway (GWR (Great Western Railway)) has a new three-year deal, while Southeastern has been awarded a two-year contract.

Do we agree it was decisive action, or a final 48 hour panic - "geeze - we gotta do something"?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JontyMort

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2020, 23:34:57 »

BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page): https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-52096200

Two train operators have been given new franchises by the government to "provide certainty" during the coronavirus pandemic.

Great Western Railway (GWR (Great Western Railway)) has a new three-year deal, while Southeastern has been awarded a two-year contract.

Do we agree it was decisive action, or a final 48 hour panic - "geeze - we gotta do something"?

Well, you could say that tossing a coin was decisive. But at least this was sensible.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2020, 00:04:25 »

Well, having suspended the franchises and introduced these Emergency Measures Agreements, they could possibly have put it off. However, if they asked one of their lawyers whether that might lead to problems, the answer was probably "ooh, it could - come back when I've thoroughly read the franchise agreement". So the EMAs would not have bought extra time, they'd be out of time already.
JontyMort

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2020, 18:55:40 »

Well, having suspended the franchises and introduced these Emergency Measures Agreements, they could possibly have put it off. However, if they asked one of their lawyers whether that might lead to problems, the answer was probably "ooh, it could - come back when I've thoroughly read the franchise agreement". So the EMAs would not have bought extra time, they'd be out of time already.

That is indeed often the problem with contract law. You can bilaterally agree that something that is about to happen should not happen, but agreeing that something that has happened should be treated as not having happened is more troublesome.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2020, 13:51:22 »

From information posted elsewhere it would appear that the Direct Award contract document is only 907 pages long, including a number of appendicies.  Information from GWR (Great Western Railway) 'insiders' is that it contains a substantial number of things for GWR to deliver, but details won't be released just yet.  However, these have been defined as 'projects' so apparently not just ongoing committments?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: