14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
Delayed
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
11:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
12:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 12:03 Bristol Temple Meads to Weymouth
13:10 Weston-Super-Mare to Severn Beach
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 23, 2024, 12:35:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[114] "Mayflower"
[89] You see all sorts on the bus.
[63] Where have I been?
[56] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[53] Death of another bus station?
[30] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Thoughts and guidelines for posting obituaries on the forum  (Read 6241 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: April 21, 2020, 05:06:31 »

Occasionally over the years of The Coffee Shop, we have had to report the passing of people related to the railway, and indeed several of our members from earlier days have passed on.  On an average day, some 2,000 to 2,500 people in the UK (United Kingdom) leave us; at present, Covid-19 is adding up to 1,000 to that number.  Reports we are seeing here - and will continue to see for a while, I fear, will be out of proportion to that ratio - not just "a third up", but up several / many times.  There are several reasons  - (1) The virus is striking people who have been active until days / weeks ago, even if a significant proportion of them have had underlying health issues. (2) It is striking disproportionally older men (amongst other known or suspected biases) and that's a similar bias to community transport groups, senior rail industry managers, and indeed to our forum membership ... with many younger rail industry operations staff in key positions at a far greater risk than those who are able to work from home, or suspend work for a period. And (3) the virus is - rightly - big news which means that passings are reported far wider, faster, and more strongly that such reports in prior times.

Everyone who passes is (or was) and individual and will be leaving family and/or friends and/or colleagues behind. All were individual who did something different - be that a little or a lot different to others, and should be respected through individual memories. I am going to encourage (subject to moderator agreement [[obtained prior to posting this guidance]]) individual threads for each individual passing.  Further, I would confirm that should any member feel that we should mark and honour the passing of someone on the forum, that member is encouraged to start a thread to do so.  Should multiple threads be started concerning the same person, our moderator / admin team will (in most circumstances) merge them to give a complete picture.   And members are encouraged to add their own memories too.

* Please choose what you feel is the most appropriate board on the forum if you have the task of bringing us news of someone's passing, or let me know by email or message if you would rather I (or someone else) post on your behalf.

* In order to help identify these threads, please add "RIP" to the subject line; that may sound bit harsh, but it provides a marker and leaves no doubt as to the news; over the decade, we have had a large number of subjects relating to the roles of living individuals, and this will differentiate between those threads and obituaries

* Please do quote heavily from other public sources rather than using just links; that way we build complete story here and we won't change / fade out as the news media and social media moves on. A picture of the person as they would wish to be remembered is most welcome, and if you add such as an attachment to these posts I can edit posts and merge it in to the content to make it part of the story of the person if you wish.

* If posting news that's not yet public shared anywhere else, please consider that very close family and friends should really hear first and not via the forum - each case is individual, but perhaps hold back an hour or two. If you are close family or friend, the forum would be honoured if you post here on behalf of that close group.

* Please double check that you are reporting the correct person's passing (and the picture is of them) prior to posting in public. Many names are shared. Further, someone's disappearance at the current time can lead to worries that turn into rumours ... that turn out to be wrong.  If there's a seed of doubt, our Frequent Posters' "Rumour Mill" is available and the post can be made public when later confirmed.   If there are multiple seeds of doubt, please check before you post / ask one of the team for a second opinion through personal message or email.

My (BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)) news feed often lists the top ten articles and there are times at present where every one of them is Coronavirus-related - has that in the subject line.   I am going to ask that members keep "The lighter side" as an Obit-free zone ... and that they help me by posting lighter other materials there.  Loving the "ticketing around your home" thread at the moment!

The Pirate's code in "Pirates of the Carribean" was described as "not so much a set of rules - more guidelines" and I'm going to ask readers to treat the suggestions in this post in the same way.  If you're honouring someone who's passed, it's fine.  And the moderators / admins are here (and in some cases with more time than usual) to help add / tune / move things around to bolster that honour.

Stay as safe as you can, everyone ... and if you're a key person who's out there / working in any role at present, "Thank you" ... two little words which don't even go halfway to indicating the depth of my thanks.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 05:38:06 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2020, 10:07:02 »

IN relation to graham's last sentence , can I please highlight the Thank You poem commissioned by Transport Focus which I have copied and featured in the 'All across the Great Western territory/ The wider picture in the UK (United Kingdom)' section of this forum. Mods... you may wish to transfer it to a more visible section of the forum
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2020, 10:14:55 »

IN relation to graham's last sentence , can I please highlight the Thank You poem commissioned by Transport Focus which I have copied and featured in the 'All across the Great Western territory/ The wider picture in the UK (United Kingdom)' section of this forum. Mods... you may wish to transfer it to a more visible section of the forum

Certainly worth a reference here - http://www.passenger.chat/23285 (and the intent is that this thread is sticky so it won't be lost) and I'll add the same link onto the "Coffee Shop during Coronavirus" sticky thread too.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: