17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

No 'On This Day' events reported for 19th Mar

Train RunningCancelled
06:30 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
07:04 Bath Spa to Filton Abbey Wood
07:45 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
08:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 05:48:12 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[93] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[93] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[90] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[75] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[48] Europeran Rail Timetable
[48] Improvements at three Berkshire stations

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: 2019, month by month - but which is which?  (Read 4029 times)
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2020, 10:53:00 »

4 is, of course, on the New York subway.
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2020, 11:01:55 »

11. No idea where it is. The long shadows suggest a month in the winter half of the year, but the clothing worn by the nearest person suggests warm temperatures. We had some exceptionally warm weather in the last week of February last year, so I will suggest then.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2020, 11:22:04 »

11. No idea where it is. The long shadows suggest a month in the winter half of the year, but the clothing worn by the nearest person suggests warm temperatures. We had some exceptionally warm weather in the last week of February last year, so I will suggest then.

Correct - good logic there!

4 is, of course, on the New York subway.

Yes

12. Tilshead - I recognise the tacky pub sign in the background !

Yes

10 Weymouth August

Location correct ... not August (that month's picture already identified  Wink )
must be July then

Yes, it was!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2020, 11:39:43 »

7 is surely Clifton Down. But I've no idea which month. I'll make a random guess if I have to; it's dark and there are a fair few people waiting, so it's winter, how about November/

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2020, 12:07:02 »

7 is surely Clifton Down. But I've no idea which month. I'll make a random guess if I have to; it's dark and there are a fair few people waiting, so it's winter, how about November/

Yes, it is Clifton Down.  You're right that it's a winter picture, but not November.   That's quite a tricky one to date accurately!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 12:15:27 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2020, 13:15:45 »

2. Melksham. Can't remember the month but April?

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2020, 13:57:58 »

2. Melksham. Can't remember the month but April?

Correct on both counts!

rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2020, 14:53:29 »

a bit of a cheat as I was there  Grin Grin

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2020, 15:31:47 »

8. October Euston?

Correct with Euston ... month very hard on that one - not October I'm afraid.

OK - I'll go for November as I think the picture was actually taken on Saturday November 30?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2020, 17:01:34 »

8. October Euston?

OK - I'll go for November as I think the picture was actually taken on Saturday November 30?

Close but are does the Caledonian sleeper run on Saturday nights?

PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2020, 17:09:14 »

8. October Euston?

Close but are does the Caledonian sleeper run on Saturday nights?

Sorry, it would have been late on the Friday evening. Your travelogue mentions traveling up on the Saturday?
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2020, 23:33:38 »

Yes, it is Clifton Down.  You're right that it's a winter picture, but not November.   That's quite a tricky one to date accurately!

I could but I won't as I picked you up it wouldn't be fair 🤔
JontyMort

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2020, 23:47:13 »

3 is Dublin. No clue on the month. The shadows are long, but that proves nothing as it isn’t daylight.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2020, 00:59:21 »

3 is Dublin. No clue on the month. The shadows are long, but that proves nothing as it isn’t daylight.

the last time we had 3 in a quiz was in October 2019, and it was taken at Saggart the same day. Can't see why that would have changed this time ...
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2020, 01:14:58 »

Sorry, it would have been late on the Friday evening. Your travelogue mentions traveling up on the Saturday?

? Did it ... have to go back and look.  I may have misrepresented something then. I travelled up on the Sunday night ... which made it Sunday 1st December - I recall getting to Motherwell and my connection and place of work somewhat before it was unlocked and sitting waiting on a cold wall in the dark for the keyholder.   The wall, it turned out, had been covered in ice which melted as I sat on it. 

the last time we had 3 in a quiz was in October 2019, and it was taken at Saggart the same day. Can't see why that would have changed this time ...

The clues, indeed, are out there  Grin. ... never waste a good picture using it just once, and we have new and occasional members who may have missed it the first time.

You have an ... extended ... sense of fairness there.  I would be delighted to give you the brownie points for giving the month, added to the brownie points for - I recall - a lift back to Temple Meads at the end as I hit the 90 minute evening gap on "The Beach".

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: