22:36 Worcester Shrub Hill to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
18:18 Carmarthen to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 18, 2024, 21:50:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[176] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[71] Signage - not making it easy ...
[15] IETs at Melksham
[13] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[12] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[12] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
  Print  
Author Topic: Significant minority find lockdown 'extremely difficult', poll suggests  (Read 19648 times)
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 18, 2020, 17:34:08 »

Plants Galore, unsurprisingly, is primarily a retailer of house & garden plants but also sells garden tools & pet food. As one of the justifications for his approach the owner has pointed out that the Aldi store 300 yards away also sells all these things and are (legally) permitted to trade normally.

I guess this comes down to "letter" and "spirit"?

My understanding is that people are allowed to go shopping for basic necessities: “as infrequently as possible” - I think most people would have a pretty good understanding of what constitutes "basic necessities" without it having laid out on tablets of stone for them...………...whether that includes tomato seedlings?...….well I must admit that whilst picking up basic necessities I have also picked up a newspaper, wine and chocolate, which I guess are luxuries, but if anyone wants to challenge the essential nature of the latter two with Mrs TG, I admire their courage.
Marlburian

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 18, 2020, 19:38:04 »

Latest guidance re shopping to English police forces: Likely to be reasonable: Buying several days’ worth of food, including luxury items and alcohol. There is no need for all a person’s shopping to be basic food supplies; the purchase of snacks and luxuries is still permitted. In general terms, a person has a reasonable excuse to visit the shops which remain open to customers under the Regulations. If a person is already out of the address with good reason, then it would not be proportionate to prevent the person from buying non-essential items. Food could include hot food from takeaways. ‘Obtain’ includes purchasing, but could include collecting or sharing items, provided this is genuine.Buying a small amount of a staple item or necessity (eg, a newspaper, pet food, a loaf of bread or pint of milk)

And as I've previously pointed out, now deemed acceptable in England is "Driving to countryside and walking (where far more time is spent walking than driving)".

TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 19, 2020, 00:58:19 »

I know there are people on this forum whose understanding of law is better then mine, but on the face of it this is an interesting situation.

This is the time of year for planting. Our local supernarkets and Farm Shop, all of which usually sell seeds and seedlings at this time of year, are still allowed to open. Presumably Plants Galore also sell the same products. Where is the logic in one being able to buy a packet of seeds or a tomato plant seeding in Morrison's when you can't buy them at a Garden Centre?

We are told that we can buy anything in a shop that is still allowed to open, whether or not it is "essential." Furthermore, nobody has ever defined what "essential" is and rightly so, because each person's essential purchases may vary depemding on their own circumstances. As was pointed out recently, a bat and ball set might be seen as "essential" if it is the only way to entertain the kids/ keep 'em quiet.

We should also not lose sight of what the regulations are for in the first place. They are to avoid the spread of this virus, not to punish the population.

Having done no further research on this particular case, it strikes me that a pig-headed local authority might have come across a pig-headed trader and neither of them want to be seen to back down (Substitute "principled" for "pig-headed" if you prefer because the use of the term was rather subjective!)

For the avoidance of doubt I have not concluded who is right or who is wrong in my opinion in this case, I am simply trying to look at the wider issue (added in case someone posts the term "snowflake" again... Wink )

Spoken like a true lawyer! There are many debatable and arguable points of interpretation in a short statutory instrument, and the shop selling things other than their primary line is just one of many. It seems to be accepted that if it sells something on the list of useful necessities, it can sell pretty much everything else on its shelves. One store chain selling general household goods in large quantity has been accused by some of having installed freezers to sell frozen food in order to get around the rules. The store denies this and says the idea was drawn up before the pandemic. So would it be acceptable for someone to buy a new barbecue and sunloungers if the shop also sold pizza and ice cream? Or would it have to be tinned beans? Does the shop have to have a local authority food hygiene certificate as a condition of being able to sell a lawn mower? Questions like this have earned fortunes for lawyers if they won the argument, and lost fortunes for their clients if they didn't.

The coronavirus emergency legislation is working because not many people seem to want to breach it. Seeing reports of young healthy people dying is having more effect than the threat of a fine.

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
  Print  

Jump to: