12:42 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
12:57 Exmouth to Paignton
13:10 Weston-Super-Mare to Severn Beach
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
Delayed
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 12:03 Bristol Temple Meads to Weymouth
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 23, 2024, 14:12:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[159] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[95] "Mayflower"
[74] You see all sorts on the bus.
[52] Where have I been?
[46] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[44] Death of another bus station?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Your least used possession at present? [DotD 11.4.2020]  (Read 5538 times)
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2020, 16:36:00 »

The van. It hasn't moved in 3 weeks.  I start it up from time to time to make sure the battery is still healthy.

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2020, 16:47:44 »

The van. It hasn't moved in 3 weeks.  I start it up from time to time to make sure the battery is still healthy.

Drifting SLIGHTLY O/T, you might wish to consider a small solar panel to keep the battery charged, presuming that the vehicle is in the open.
This will save the small but real fuel waste, carbon emissions, and engine wear that otherwise results from starting periodically for battery charging purposes.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2020, 18:06:05 »

My collection of ties.
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2020, 20:05:14 »

The RAC are saying that this might not be enough to keep your battery charged.

From the RAC
If you’ve left the car unused since lockdown rules began, you might find it struggles to start when you need it next.
RAC spokesman Simon Williams said: “Many people will find their cars have flat batteries as a result of them being left idle for two weeks.

“This is an unfortunate consequence of the ‘stay at home’ advice and something we’re dealing with on a daily basis.”

Batteries will often discharge because of a combination of constantly occurring chemical reactions and energy-sapping systems such as immobilisers, that still function even when your engine is off.

Mr Williams explained that starting a car occasionally “isn’t likely to help” either, as that does not allow enough time for batteries to recharge.

“In fact, this may end up draining a weak battery,” he said.
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2020, 21:07:12 »

The RAC are saying that this might not be enough to keep your battery charged.

From the RAC
If you’ve left the car unused since lockdown rules began, you might find it struggles to start when you need it next.
RAC spokesman Simon Williams said: “Many people will find their cars have flat batteries as a result of them being left idle for two weeks.

“This is an unfortunate consequence of the ‘stay at home’ advice and something we’re dealing with on a daily basis.”

Batteries will often discharge because of a combination of constantly occurring chemical reactions and energy-sapping systems such as immobilisers, that still function even when your engine is off.

Mr Williams explained that starting a car occasionally “isn’t likely to help” either, as that does not allow enough time for batteries to recharge.

There are plenty of other more expensive things to worry about than your battery ! If at all possible drive your car at least every two weeks.

If left standing in the same position, "flats" can form on your tyres.
The engine must get hot enough to "burn off" any moisture, otherwise you may end up with white sludge instead of engine oil.
Run the air conditioning, the various seals in the system rely on the circulating refrigerant to keep them supple.
Your shiny brake discs will rust very quickly, that surface rust rubs off easily after a few days - after a few weeks it starts eating into the discs which will then wear the pads quicker.   
The more up-market your car, the more likely the battery is to fade over a period of time..........this is because of all the "clever" electronics in it.

I'm not saying drive a massively long distance, just don't go to the nearest supermarket for your weekly shop, go to the next one. Take the "scenic" route  - and I don't mean via The Lake District !   Wink Wink  I had a "click and collect" from my nearest large Tesco - 20 mile round trip - perfect..
ray951
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2020, 21:26:03 »

In no particular order:
Brompton.
Cash.
Football season ticket
Work pass.
Rail season ticket.
Lunch box.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2020, 22:15:35 »

[/quote]

Mine, like the car, is coming up to 4 years old I believe it is a heavier duty battery because the car has auto-engine stop. It nearly didn't get us going after three cold weeks in the car par outside my son's place, where we returned at about 12.30 am from holiday, but finally fired up just as it was beginning to sound desperate. Fine by the time we got home, but I wouldn't want to leave it so long again, even in this nice warm weather, and with a battery charger in the garage. I might check the charger. I don't think it has been used in 5 years at least.

Now, please!
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2020, 22:54:43 »

I’m pretty much business as usual. In fact I’m working more hours.

My lunchbox is seeing more frequent use As all the pasty shops are closed! Nowhere to grab a lunch in town on break so it’s packlunch or Poundland being the only open place

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
1st fan

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2020, 00:41:47 »

My Travelcard*
My work phone.**
Shoes***
* It's an annual Gold Card Sad
** I'm furloughed so not allowed to use it.  Grin
 *** I wear slippers in the house.
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2020, 05:38:25 »

In no particular order:
Brompton.
Cash.
Football season ticket
Work pass.
Rail season ticket.
Lunch box.

No reason not to be using your Brompton. The roads are quiet, the weather beautiful, and Bromptons give a lovely comfortable ride for any trip. I'm always surprised more people don't use them as their first bike, as I do.
Bob_Blakey
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2020, 07:58:50 »

Exeter Chiefs Rugby Season Ticket
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2020, 08:40:53 »

Port glasses, Steak knives, spare toilet roll holder.
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2020, 10:18:36 »

My hairdresser's phone number .......
Marlburian

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2020, 11:10:19 »

I'm not saying drive a massively long distance, just don't go to the nearest supermarket for your weekly shop, go to the next one. Take the "scenic" route  - and I don't mean via The Lake District !   Wink Wink  I had a "click and collect" from my nearest large Tesco - 20 mile round trip - perfect..

On another forum I was mildly roasted for saying that I intended to do this, though the extra mileage would only have been six to eight miles.  With my usual store having no spare home-delivery slots until July (and that was a week ago), I depend on the car for my Big Shop. I've just walked the 10-12 minutes back from the local Co-op with a rucksack full of "top-up" food and clutching milk in my hand; I'm very fit, but was glad to get home.

My roadside-assistance service has warned of a reduced service, and I can't see garages being able to cope with getting cars going again as the situation eases.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2020, 11:17:36 »

My hairdresser's phone number .......

I don't know if it's of any help, but the phone number of the last hairdresser I used is Bristol 4208.

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: