Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
13:48 Bedwyn to Newbury
14:12 Newbury to Bedwyn
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
14:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
15:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
15:50 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
16:15 Newbury to Bedwyn
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
16:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
12:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
13:46 Bristol Temple Meads to Warminster
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:20 Penzance to London Paddington
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
13:50 London Paddington to Great Malvern
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 14:16:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[153] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[97] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] Travel for free on the m2 metrobus - Bristol - 4,5,6 April 202...
[41] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[38] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[37] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why HSTs are no good as Commuter Trains  (Read 9312 times)
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« on: April 03, 2008, 10:31:39 »

I think this fits in here as it's about unfit trains for commuter services.

Yesterday 2/4/08 I caught the 16:51 Padd Worcester HD HST (High Speed Train) as far as Slough.

Choose to stand in vestible although I could have had an outside airline seat.

Left on time arrived Slough on time 16:06. Train didn't pull out until 16:09:30!

A dwell time of 3.:30 minutes on the Down Main vice 1 minute booked !

Up train HST 16:10  Up Main 2 minutes late arriving 1:30 dwell time so left 2:30 down. From the speed of the next up train through platform 3 it had obviously caught at least a double wellow at Farnham Road. Although the platform signal was green the driver can't accelerate until the ATP (Automatic Train Protection) kicks out.

You have to have two station staff on the platform plus the conducotr to ensure all the doors are closed and the conductor can lock them and give the right away to the driver.

Compared with a Turbo which can open it's doors disgourge its load, reload, close its doors and be away, a HST is totally unsuitable for commuter use.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 10:39:49 »

I am interested in the example chosen. How much demand do you reckon there is for travel to/from Slough to/from areas further afield?

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 11:02:03 »

Lee quite a lot, but not a lot to each possible destination.

Don't forget these HSTs (High Speed Train) are  providing a fast Padd - Slough service you can't really beat 16 minutes. They also mean that I can leave Padd later have a fast run to Slough and then pick the earlier Padd Taplow which we've overtaken. This is off course only off peak, the fast Sloughs in the peak trundle down teh relief in 22 minutes.

They also provide a fast Slough - Reading service so pick up quite a lot of passengers at Slough. How many of those go on from Reading I don't know but you often see people with cases, families etc so can can surmise they change at Reading. Of course you can get virtually anywhere from Reading so unless you did a census over a period it would difficult to know what the traffic flows West from Slough really are.

But it's not the job the HSTs were designed for. Which I suppose is a great tribute to their designers that they just about cope with this totally unsuitable use.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 16:54:23 »

"eight------" you are correct - the HSTs (High Speed Train) are poor for commuters.

But it is not just that - they are poor (due to poor acceleration) on any stopping services (e.g. Cotswold Line - as there are no "Expresses" left on that line!), which are also likely to have short platforms - makes the dwell time worse.

See a post by me a while back, about my observations of 2 late HSTs at Worcester, which departed even more late because they were HSTs!

That is why some people like the Adelantes!

As well as this, the journey time for commuters has increased:

*poor acceleration
*and increased dwell times.

----------------

But - there are more seats onboard, so for commuters, that is a + .

Very difficult debate!
miniman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 18:46:54 »

You have to have two station staff on the platform plus the conducotr to ensure all the doors are closed and the conductor can lock them and give the right away to the driver.

Absolutely, so of course what happens at unmanned stations like Keynsham and many between Bristol and the South West is more delays while the poor train manager has to try to get all the doors shut and then lock them before some latecomer opens another one to get on. I've said it before and I'll say it again - using HSTs (High Speed Train) as commuter trains is a poor, short-sighted, short termism approach to pacifying a group of customers who just want a reliable local service using appropriate trains.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 23:49:10 »

Absolutely, so of course what happens at unmanned stations like Keynsham and many between Bristol and the South West is more delays while the poor train manager has to try to get all the doors shut and then lock them before some latecomer opens another one to get on. I've said it before and I'll say it again - using HSTs (High Speed Train) as commuter trains is a poor, short-sighted, short termism approach to pacifying a group of customers who just want a reliable local service using appropriate trains.

What about long distance commuters

The post morton in marsh commuters who do want a RELIABLE service but will accept some dwell time if it means the difference between a 165 and a HST.  Personally, I would even accept a 166 - 1st class has a table!  I can work!

On a 1 hour 50 min journey - I dont care if the train is 10 late on arrival - I get discount and it doesnt make that much difference

What I want is to know what train is showing up when and what conditions I will travel in

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 00:06:49 »

The post morton in marsh commuters who do want a RELIABLE service but will accept some dwell time if it means the difference between a 165 and a HST.  Personally, I would even accept a 166 - 1st class has a table!  I can work!

On a 1 hour 50 min journey - I dont care if the train is 10 late on arrival - I get discount and it doesnt make that much difference

What I want is to know what train is showing up when and what conditions I will travel in

This of course also brings in the debate about FGW (First Great Western) using HSTs as local trains (e.g. Cornwall) at the same time as being InterCity.

On the Cotswold Line they have to, because no additional expresses and additional locals can be fitted in, due to the single track.

Really, the aim should be to separate HSTs from commuters and locals. HSTs are High Speed Train. They are InterCity 125s, which means that they should be speeding at 125 mph (at least) from one city to the next and not stopping everywhere (with some exceptions, of course), and providing a comfortable environment for long distance (> 1-2hr) passengers!

But.... they have plenty of seats!
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 00:19:16 »

Note - I would rather a 166 at worst or 180 from Pad to WOS» (Worcester Shrub Hill - next trains) than a train to oxford and change

I have been known to be in paddington for the 1921 seen how over crowded it was a s a 2 car 165 (pre December change) and sat in the bar and waited for the 2021!

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
walrusthefirst

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2008, 15:19:51 »

HSTs (High Speed Train) are unsuitable stopping trains due to poor acceleration and short platforms. take the 1706 Padd.-Westbury; it stops at London Paddington, Twyford(short platform), Reading, Theale(short platform), Thatcham(short platform), Newbury, Kintbury(short platform), Hungerford(short platform), Bedwyn(short platform), Pewsey(short platform) and Westbury. Stopping all the time defeats the object of the HSTs; they have to keep stopping and starting with poor acceleration, making them slower than a turbo. If they are going a reasonable distance between stops they are good, but not if they stop a lot.

I think a few 180 adelantes should be retained for these more local routes.
dog box

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 11:52:09 »

The 1706 is virtually empty past Newbury and nearly always keeps time, HSTs (High Speed Train) might not be ideal ,but they are all we have,..forget about 180s they are unreliable piles of junk, mainly due to  design faults

All postings reflect my own personal views and opinions and are not intended to be, nor should be taken as official statements of first great western or first group policy
miniman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 12:14:29 »

Quick question for the OP (Original Poster / topic starter) - why did you choose to stand in the vestibule instead of sitting down? Always baffles me why people do this, particularly the ones that get all sniffy when I try to get to the buffet or the khazi.
dog box

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 16:06:13 »

Quick question for the OP (Original Poster / topic starter) - why did you choose to stand in the vestibule instead of sitting down? Always baffles me why people do this, particularly the ones that get all sniffy when I try to get to the buffet or the khazi.

quite simple really especially if travelling PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) to RED, by standing in the vestibules close to the buffet they are close to the gateline at Reading and can save a precious 30 seconds over there fellow commuters

All postings reflect my own personal views and opinions and are not intended to be, nor should be taken as official statements of first great western or first group policy
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008, 19:21:55 »

Surely fact that eight.... stood near the buffet is irrelevant to the subject???
willc

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2008, 23:24:10 »

they should be speeding at 125 mph (at least) from one city to the next

We're not in 1976-77 and the dawn of the HST (High Speed Train) any more. The 125s radically changed travel habits, making long-distance commuting practical, as Mookiemoo acknowledges elsewhere. I doubt she would be doing Worcester-London if it still took 2hrs 40 mins, the Cathedrals Express timing in the 1960s. Did many people do commutes like Bath-London pre-HSTs? Hardly. We are now in the ugly world of compromise between differing demands, brought about by the impact of the HSTs, like on the Cotswold Line, and high-speed sprints for a handful of passengers are history.

The TGV (Train a Grande Vitesse) may indulge in this sort of behaviour in France, but if you want to go somewhere off the TGV routes, then many French rail services leave a lot to be desired, even to some pretty sizeable towns.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2008, 18:38:57 »

The TGV (Train a Grande Vitesse) may indulge in this sort of behaviour in France, but if you want to go somewhere off the TGV routes, then many French rail services leave a lot to be desired, even to some pretty sizeable towns.

The thing is with France, the major cities are the correct spacing apart for HSSs (High Speed Services). In the UK (United Kingdom), when they finally plan a North South/East West Line, everyone will want a station, thereby preventing HS (High Speed (short for HSS High Speed Services)) running!

Take Cardiff to London: at least Newport, Bristol, Bath, Chippingham, Swindon, Didcot, Readnig, Slough will all (maybe rightly so) want stops!!

Who should get them? The bigger places: Bristol, Reading (NB: I do not know which are the biggest, just inferring)??

Or the places where London commuters will board: Slough, Didcot, Chippingham in addition.

Or will the WAG» (Welsh Assembly Government - about) make it stop at Newport?

Or will CrossRail amke it stop at Maindenhead?

Huh
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: