Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 19:15 25 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s renationalisation plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 19:15:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[249] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[57] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[38] Cornish delays
[36] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[20] Where have I been?
[20] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: RailFuture: Barnstaple to Bideford  (Read 1988 times)
Umberleigh

View Profile
« on: April 19, 2020, 19:07:16 »

Really informative page on the RailFuture website about the Bideford line in the late 70s and early 80s. There were a series of charter trains from London, positive feasibility studies and even a Parliamentary Bill from MP (Member of Parliament) Tony Speller all in support of getting passenger trains back on the line.

Eventually BR (British Rail(ways)) closed the line “due to the state of the track”. I remember from my childhood that there had been a freight train derailment that had damaged a length of track, but I also remover BR stating that they had failed to obtain EU» (European Union - about) funding to upgrade the China clay wagons for air braked trains

https://www.railfuture.org.uk/Devon+and+Cornwall+Reopenings
Southernman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 20:20:35 »

Really informative page on the RailFuture website about the Bideford line in the late 70s and early 80s. There were a series of charter trains from London, positive feasibility studies and even a Parliamentary Bill from MP (Member of Parliament) Tony Speller all in support of getting passenger trains back on the line.

Eventually BR (British Rail(ways)) closed the line “due to the state of the track”. I remember from my childhood that there had been a freight train derailment that had damaged a length of track, but I also remover BR stating that they had failed to obtain EU» (European Union - about) funding to upgrade the China clay wagons for air braked trains

https://www.railfuture.org.uk/Devon+and+Cornwall+Reopenings

Very interesting, thank you. I was on the last train (13 coaches and top and tailed by Class 31 diesels) to Torrington and have a soft spot for that line which should have remained open to Bideford, if not Torrington. 

The loss of the China Clay traffic was due to the tight curvature of the railway beyond Torrington towards Meeth being unsuitable for the new high capacity wagons that were to replace the Clay Hoods. I believe that a trial run was held.

One downside is that the railway runs on the opposite of the river to the main part of Bideford although that is not a show stopper.

The Tarka (Line from Barnstaple to Exeter) Valley Railway have made a start on rebuilding the line back towards Bideford from Torrington.

http://www.tarkavalleyrailway.co.uk/about_us.html

and should be supported. Also the Bideford Railway Heritage Centre who have a site at that station and additionally care for Instow Signal Box

https://www.bidefordrailway.co.uk/

so lots of work going on already!
Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2020, 22:11:24 »

Having cycled the line around 10 years ago (the Tarka (Line from Barnstaple to Exeter) Trail is an excellent cycle ride), my interest was caught by the Tarka Valley Railway, and I've checked back in to its website every couple of years to see what progress it has made.

Unfortunately its progress since then appears glacial, and the website doesn't do much to enthuse casual observers and move them to a more engaged position, being somewhat lacking in any up to date information (which just reinforces the view that the project isn't going anywhere).

It's a shame, but I think in the future, even before COVID-19, the challenge in the preservation sector is to keep the existing railways we have afloat, with enough volunteers to operate them and paying passengers to cover costs and renewals.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 10:08:52 »

The shear enormity of projects such as Barnstaple to Bideford ... and also returning rails and a National Rail service to Portishead and Tavistock too ... are frightening.   Indeed, looking specifically at England, are there any examples of rails being relayed to new / re-opened National Rail stations in England  - that step further than re-opening a line that's still been there for freight or diversionary purposes?

I can come up with example of new or re-laid lines (Todmorden curve), and even a station on a new line (Ebbsfleet), and the nearest station to my home (Melksham) and Chandler's Ford are on lines that were freight only. Others in that class too ... Corby, Aylesbury Vale Parkway ...

P.S. I may have missed the blinding obvious - was the track in situ from Ludgate Hill to Farringdon via City Thameslink?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2020, 10:13:10 »

A short section (a couple of miles) of the Robin Hood line involved complete relaying when it was reopened.  You could also include the Todmorden curve which was relaid a couple of years ago.
Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2020, 10:14:59 »

A short section (a couple of miles) of the Robin Hood line involved complete relaying when it was reopened.  You could also include the Todmorden curve which was relaid a couple of years ago.
Sorry, just seen you mentioned the latter.
ray951
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2020, 10:40:47 »

Examples of rails being relayed to new / re-opened National Rail stations in England
Oxford Parkway/Bicester Village and the new chord to London.
East-West Rail western section (Bicester to Bletchley and Bedford) is being completed relaid, although of course this is much talked about but hasn't yet been completed.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2020, 10:51:11 »

Examples of rails being relayed to new / re-opened National Rail stations in England
Oxford Parkway/Bicester Village and the new chord to London.
East-West Rail western section (Bicester to Bletchley and Bedford) is being completed relaid, although of course this is much talked about but hasn't yet been completed.

Thanks Ray ... I was thinking of lines that were totally closed; my understanding is that freight traffic continued from Oxford to Calvert (still does) and that puts Oxford Parkway, Islip and Bicester Town / Village into the same category as Melksham and Chandlers Ford.

The new chord has no stations - other examples include the Ordsall Curve in Manchester, and the section of the East Coast main line that bypasses Selby.

East-West, Calvert to Bletchley, is pretty close to being up there with Tavistock, Portishead and Bideford - I think much of the track has been ripped up.    Are there any planned intermediate stations?   It also has the business case advantage of being part of a future through route rather that all its traffic being generated to / from new stations - the same should be said of Tavistock (my view).

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2020, 11:06:04 »

A short section (a couple of miles) of the Robin Hood line involved complete relaying when it was reopened.

Ah - thanks.  Hadn't thought of that one.   Research following on from your trigger suggests that the section from Newstead to Kirby in Ashfield was indeed reinstated from a trackless state - indeed a tunnel that had been filled was unfilled.  Had the intermediate station at Anneseley re-opened, it would (I'm pretty sure) have been a station on a reinstated (from total absence of track) line onto the National Rail network. However ... sources suggest that the station was so close to Newstead that the station wasn't re-instated.

I'm pretty sure that the freight line though Kirby in Ashfield was never lost, so that station does not meet my criteria.  Newstead itself might - I don't know its status at the (?) end of a freight spur, perhaps derelict, prior to the Robin Hood line being brought (back) to life.  So you may have an example of what I was looking for / wondering if it existed / there.

paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2020, 13:00:38 »

The shear enormity of projects such as Barnstaple to Bideford ... and also returning rails and a National Rail service to Portishead and Tavistock too ... are frightening.   Indeed, looking specifically at England, are there any examples of rails being relayed to new / re-opened National Rail stations in England  - that step further than re-opening a line that's still been there for freight or diversionary purposes?

I can come up with example of new or re-laid lines (Todmorden curve), and even a station on a new line (Ebbsfleet), and the nearest station to my home (Melksham) and Chandler's Ford are on lines that were freight only. Others in that class too ... Corby, Aylesbury Vale Parkway ...

P.S. I may have missed the blinding obvious - was the track in situ from Ludgate Hill to Farringdon via City Thameslink?

IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) the track from Ludgate Hill to Farringdon had been lifted well before the creation of the original 1980s version of Thameslink.  The disused stations website has it documented with photos showing no tracks in place, certainly through the Snow Hill tunnel section.
http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/s/snow_hill/index1.shtml

Paul
Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2020, 13:22:06 »

Having cycled the line around 10 years ago (the Tarka (Line from Barnstaple to Exeter) Trail is an excellent cycle ride), my interest was caught by the Tarka Valley Railway, and I've checked back in to its website every couple of years to see what progress it has made.

Unfortunately its progress since then appears glacial, and the website doesn't do much to enthuse casual observers and move them to a more engaged position, being somewhat lacking in any up to date information (which just reinforces the view that the project isn't going anywhere).

It's a shame, but I think in the future, even before COVID-19, the challenge in the preservation sector is to keep the existing railways we have afloat, with enough volunteers to operate them and paying passengers to cover costs and renewals.

I agree

In fact, and I may get shot down for this, but could not the Bideford folks and the Torrington folks combine their efforts and focus on one site? That way, they might be able to get a mile of permanent way laid and a cash-generating operation underway.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: