Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 17:35 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
Delayed
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 17:39:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Planning for restoration of services  (Read 20006 times)
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 02, 2020, 11:18:48 »

Except ... I can think of circumstances where the results appear all too quickly.

I was referring mainly to Health Improvement. Outbreak Control should be done yesterday, and quite often involves the appearance of the magic money tree!

And for the possibly gory details of the current PH situation see CH4 on Wed https://www.channel4.com/tv-guide/2020/06/03/C4/30302363. Hopefully the innocent won't be caught in the cross-fire

There's a long, and very depressing, article that was in yesterday's Guardian on the (now English) national public health "system" and how it got like it is now. It says that, before being stood down in March, the contact-tracing staff in PHE plus those allocated from local authorities (and the NHS?), totalled only 210. It's not clear whether the escalation to take that to about ten times the number was ever started, or even if I'm right to infer there was such a plan.

Long and very depressing article in the Guardian? Surely not!  Cheesy
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 02, 2020, 11:19:16 »

Mick Cash seems to spend his life in a permanent state of froth mouthed fury and righteous indignation.

He has a Cummings-esque ability to misjudge the public mood.

In this case, I can see some sense in the arguments against. In this case only.

Now, please!
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 02, 2020, 18:56:50 »

There's a long, and very depressing, article that was in yesterday's Guardian on the (now English) national public health "system" and how it got like it is now.

A journalist who had done their homework. Probably enough from me.
Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 02, 2020, 20:20:21 »

Mick Cash seems to spend his life in a permanent state of froth mouthed fury and righteous indignation.

He has a Cummings-esque ability to misjudge the public mood.

I have exactly the same thoughts about Nicola Sturgeon. She's been talking a great deal of sense over the last few weeks in my opinion.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 03, 2020, 13:49:42 »

I have exactly the same thoughts about Nicola Sturgeon. She's been talking a great deal of sense over the last few weeks in my opinion.

I wouldn't go quite that far, personally.

Now, please!
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 03, 2020, 16:47:47 »

I wouldn't go quite that far, personally.

She's been very effective in taking her opportunities and giving the "London doesn't tell me what to do" line, subtly or otherwise.

She's also managed to cover up a lot of the complete balls-ups her "Government" have made, particularly over care homes throughout the crisis
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 03, 2020, 21:09:43 »

She's also managed to cover up a lot of the complete balls-ups her "Government" have made, particularly over care homes throughout the crisis

Yes well when the UK (United Kingdom) government is making so much worse of a balls-up it is easier for her mistakes to go unnoticed 
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 03, 2020, 22:08:38 »

Yes well when the UK (United Kingdom) government is making so much worse of a balls-up it is easier for her mistakes to go unnoticed 

Not quite in this context I'm afraid. As of 10th May 45% of COVID-19 fatalities in Scotland have been in care homes, compared to 25% in Wales & 21% in England.

ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 03, 2020, 23:06:41 »

Not quite in this context I'm afraid. As of 10th May 45% of COVID-19 fatalities in Scotland have been in care homes, compared to 25% in Wales & 21% in England.

In the specific charge - as you say - no, but in his general covid response Boris has shown world beating skills at making a balls-up. 
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 04, 2020, 08:11:28 »

The Dorset Echo is saying that half of all Cv19 deaths in the county are in care homes!

https://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/18493883.half-coronavirus-deaths-across-dorset-care-homes/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #85 on: June 04, 2020, 08:41:06 »

Is data out there about percentage of population rather than percentage of deaths that are in care homes - 50%+ in Dorset v 21% across England sounds dramatic - but then is that explained by a very much less dense population in Dorset (Durdle Door excepted) giving it an overall very much lower infection spread base?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 04, 2020, 11:49:37 »

Dorset County population 376,480
Bournemouth, Poole and Christchurch population 395780

BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Dorset website this morning. The latest number of cases of Covid-19 has been confirmed as 848 in Dorset. There is no change in the figure since Tuesday. These are test results not overall case, which will be higher.

The breakdown of figures by local authority area is:
Dorset - 365
Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole - 483

A total of 151 patients have died in Dorset hospitals: 48 patients have died at Poole after testing positive for Covid-19. Meanwhile there have been a total of 65 deaths at The Royal Bournemouth and Christchurch Hospitals, 24 deaths at Dorset County Hospital in Dorchester, and 14 at hospitals run by Dorset Healthcare University NHS Foundation Trust, includes the community hospitals. (From Dorset Echo June 3.)
Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 04, 2020, 11:52:06 »

You need to be very careful with how deaths are attributed. The ONS» (Office for National Statistics - website) reports do show those figures, but as a long feature on Newsnight last night showed, many deaths of care home residents took place in hospitals, which is where the death will then be registered for statistical purposes. The care home owners still felt that they were "their" deaths.

Also, the virus took hold in the community a couple of weeks earlier than in care homes.  Once it got going there, in the peak weeks, 40% of COVID-deaths were being registered in care homes.  Presumably at that point, decisions were being made not to move people to hospital in view of the poor chance of recovery and extreme pressure on hospital services.

Lots of stats, and arguing about blame, but we need to remember that behind every number added to these totals, wherever recorded, a family is grieving the loss of a loved one. And I think there's a general recognition that the UK's management of the pandemic, for whatever reasons, appears rather worse than in most other places.  
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 04, 2020, 17:22:28 »

Face coverings mandatory on public transport from June 15th....just announced at Press Conference. Refused travel/fines for non compliance.
Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 04, 2020, 17:24:20 »

Face coverings mandatory on public transport from June 15th....just announced at Press Conference. Refused travel/fines for non compliance.
New announcements coming shortly  "See it, say it, gag it".
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
  Print  

Jump to: