Short Run
15:50 Penzance to Gloucester
16:31 Barnstaple to Axminster
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 16:49:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[273] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[84] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[36] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[34] Signage - not making it easy ...
[7] IETs at Melksham
[6] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Buffer Stop Testing - 1945 Style  (Read 2426 times)
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« on: April 24, 2020, 17:09:25 »

Enjoy Grin: https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-buffer-stop-tests-at-bradford-1945-online
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2020, 18:05:38 »

I can't help wondering how much was a test of the buffer stops and how much was a test of the last track joint before the buffer stop as that seems in most cases to have been the point of failure.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2020, 19:10:27 »

"Eric, I'm bored. Nowt to do this afternoon."

"EE, Fred, I've an idea. There's a whole load of condemned six plank wagons down in t'yard. Fancy a game of buffer stop testing?"

"Capital idea, Eric! I'll get Bert to bring one of the J11's up from the shed and let's have an afternoon of fun!"

"Don't forget to bring the cine camera, so foreman'll think it's serious research"
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2020, 19:18:38 »

I was standing next to a set of stop blocks when a "heavy shut" extended the sidings by 15 meters very frightening

I need to change my underpants  Grin

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2020, 21:38:49 »

And then they all adjourned to the city hotel for a pint of Tetleys.

Many years ago I was walking alongside the buffer stops on the platform at Kidderminster when the driver of WD 2-10-0 Gordon forgot to move the reverser before opening the regulator while running round.
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2020, 23:26:47 »

"EE, Fred, I've an idea. There's a whole load of condemned six plank wagons down in t'yard. Fancy a game of buffer stop testing?"

"Capital idea, Eric! I'll get Bert to bring one of the J11's up from the shed and let's have an afternoon of fun!"

"Don't forget to bring the cine camera, so foreman'll think it's serious research"

With a Leeds/ Bradford accent like that, at least one of 'em should be called Eli... Wink
Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2020, 07:35:55 »

And today someone would suggest doing a computer model ………………. no where near as much fun  Grin

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2020, 10:48:14 »

I can't help wondering how much was a test of the buffer stops and how much was a test of the last track joint before the buffer stop as that seems in most cases to have been the point of failure.

Although they broke away from the siding the buffer stops survived relatively intact. hoever the wagons didn't come out it too well. Hope they were already Red Carded because a lot look like scrap.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2020, 10:52:38 »

Although they broke away from the siding the buffer stops survived relatively intact. however the wagons didn't come out it too well. Hope they were already Red Carded because a lot look like scrap.

The most common mode of failure seemed to be the rails breaking at the fishplates at the first joint away from the buffer stops followed by the movement of that whole section of track together with the buffer stops. 
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2020, 11:45:32 »

And today someone would suggest doing a computer model ………………. no where near as much fun  Grin

Ah, but to set up your model you need all the parameters - and that calls for experiments, as does the validation of course. After that it does get boring, though.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2020, 12:21:10 »

Although they broke away from the siding the buffer stops survived relatively intact. hoever the wagons didn't come out it too well. Hope they were already Red Carded because a lot look like scrap.

Most of the wagons seemed to have the words 'Condemed Wagon on Loan to Chief Civil Engineer' lettered on them.  The wooden bodies didn't hold out much for anything to be returned at the end of the tests though.... Roll Eyes
TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2020, 17:19:57 »

Just for the record the location used was City road goods station Bradford. A former GNR line that closed in 1972.
It was a goods only branch off the line from St Dunstans on the current line from Leeds to Bradford Interchange that went to Keighley and Halifax.
Queensbury tunnel on the Halifax part of the line has also recently been in the news due to the Highway authoritys wanting to fill the tunnel in.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 17:34:42 by TonyN » Logged
Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2020, 18:07:43 »

The stop blocks need to arrest the progress of the train hitting them, if the stop blocks are solid wall not only will the train most likely be totally destroyed there is a high risk of the waggons / carriages knife jacking across other roads.

Many of the old style of stop blocks had weak links connecting them to the running rails, wood was not uncommon

stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2020, 18:28:09 »

Although they broke away from the siding the buffer stops survived relatively intact. however the wagons didn't come out it too well. Hope they were already Red Carded because a lot look like scrap.

The most common mode of failure seemed to be the rails breaking at the fishplates at the first joint away from the buffer stops followed by the movement of that whole section of track together with the buffer stops. 

Is that a failure? Isn't it the intended way for it to dissipate energy? The idea, I take it, is to provide something much cheaper than an engineered solution using hydraulics (like the ones being removed from Paddington) or torturing a steel bar (as used in fenders for big ships). But the requirement is the same: to stop a train without destroying it before it goes off to pay a social call on the neighbours.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2020, 18:30:30 »

Modern buffer stops have to have a 20m safety zone beyond them.  That can be reduced (or even increased) following Risk Assessment.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: