09:00 Windsor & Eton Central to Slough
09:10 Slough to Windsor & Eton Central
09:20 Windsor & Eton Central to Slough
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 24, 2024, 09:07:09 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[211] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[74] You see all sorts on the bus.
[71] "Mayflower"
[66] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[56] tram/rail meet up
[53] Death of another bus station?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Magic Roundabout  (Read 2733 times)
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2020, 17:33:55 »

The other oddity of Colomiers ...

All of France was full of oddities (compared to the UK (United Kingdom) road network) which have only recently been put right (by "recently" I mean in the last 20 or 30 years) It was all  very well havinng national rules of the road that varied from everybody else's in the old days, but when driving became more international and not everybody knew of or understood the rules (or indeed the reasons for them) there was bound to be trouble.

The things I know about that the French have abandonede in favour of more international ways of doing things (albeit grudgingly in some cases are:

• Traffic entering a roundabout having priority over traffic already on it (that used to cause gridlock in a short space of time)

Priority to the right, meaning that you could be rattling along happily when suddenly a wagon load of straw would appear out of nowhere in front of you

Yellow headlamps
ray951
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2020, 19:11:58 »

The other oddity of Colomiers ...

All of France was full of oddities (compared to the UK (United Kingdom) road network) which have only recently been put right (by "recently" I mean in the last 20 or 30 years) It was all  very well havinng national rules of the road that varied from everybody else's in the old days, but when driving became more international and not everybody knew of or understood the rules (or indeed the reasons for them) there was bound to be trouble.

The things I know about that the French have abandonede in favour of more international ways of doing things (albeit grudgingly in some cases are:

• Traffic entering a roundabout having priority over traffic already on it (that used to cause gridlock in a short space of time)

Priority to the right, meaning that you could be rattling along happily when suddenly a wagon load of straw would appear out of nowhere in front of you

Yellow headlamps

Isn't the roundabout at the Arc de Triomphe still priority to the right (ie to traffic joining the roundabout)? I also believe it might be the only roundabout left in France that still has priority to the right.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2020, 19:52:26 »

I spent a few months in Paris from autumn 1988 to spring 1989 and I remember the Arc de Triomphe roundabout being completely gridlocked, to the extent that you could walk from central Arc island to the outside, sauntering between the cars as if they were cafe tables. Which I think many of them functioned as for their occupants.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2020, 20:20:18 »

Isn't the roundabout at the Arc de Triomphe still priority to the right (ie to traffic joining the roundabout)? I also believe it might be the only roundabout left in France that still has priority to the right.

Well, that depends how you translate "roundabout". Strictly (and there's no shortage of pedants in France) a rond-point works by priorité à droite, while a carrefour à sens giratoire has signs and markings to give priority to cars déjà présents dans l’intersection. You can drive a long way on roads that go somewhere and never come across any priorité à droite, as it's been widely suppressed on main roads and in a lot of towns by always having lights or marked priorities. But it is still the default, common in little back streets, and once in a while you find one of those cancelled diamond signs on entering a little town.

But Place Charles de Gaulle is more of a big open space for cars to mill about in (if they are lucky) than a roundabout. I think there will be other, smaller, circular town squares elsewhere that have never had anything added to displace priorité à droite. But these are not high-speed roads, so disconcertingly unfamiliar rather than downright scary. The lack of stop lines on side roads should prevent you assuming priority - provided you spot it!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 22:07:12 by stuving » Logged
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2020, 21:04:49 »

And France isn't the only European country to have some sort of priority to the right where not cancelled by diamonds/lights/other markings.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2020, 21:14:19 »

A general GB (Great Britain) rule to give priority to vehicles already on a roundabout in absence of any road sign to the contrary was only introduced in November 1967 (NI was some time later). As such there was no need to put up Give Way signs, which unfortunately infest many roundabouts in Europe where there is a need to cancel other default priorities.

Although the effect was immediate it took time to paint transverse broken white lines on the entrance to all roundabouts. There was a "short television filmlet" produced to explain things.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: