Delayed
06:01 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
06:50 Westbury to Weymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 07:26:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[165] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[67] Signage - not making it easy ...
[56] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[14] IETs at Melksham
[12] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[11] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Signalling at Worcestershire Parkway  (Read 8058 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: April 25, 2020, 10:35:48 »

Question for the signalling experts - can a train arriving from Worcester Shrub Hill in passenger service terminate at Worcestershire Parkway and return in passenger service back into Worcester?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2020, 13:49:28 »

Question for the signalling experts - can a train arriving from Worcester Shrub Hill in passenger service terminate at Worcestershire Parkway and return in passenger service back into Worcester?

I expect it could, but only if a pilotman was provided.  In the same way that passenger trains from the west can and have terminated and started back from Hanborough when there's engineering work taking place east of Hanborough.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2020, 13:55:33 »

I expect it could, but only if a pilotman was provided.  In the same way that passenger trains from the west can and have terminated and started back from Hanborough when there's engineering work taking place east of Hanborough.

So not something it's signalled for in daily traffic then - thanks.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2020, 15:11:43 »

In the Hanborough case, does the pilotman talk the driver past the Morton-in-Marsh Up Starter?
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2020, 15:17:30 »

In the Hanborough case, does the pilotman talk the driver past the Morton-in-Marsh Up Starter?

It's Ascott box that controls the area, not Moreton.  But, IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly), the pilotman does indeed talk the driver past the signal at Charlbury with the signallers authority.  Then at Hanborough the pilotman obtains authority for the return journey.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2020, 15:47:29 »

Just to clarify.  To turn a train back in a signalled single line section where there is no signal provided at the reversing location generally requires PILOTMAN (or should that be PILOTPERSON) working.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 18:31:48 by SandTEngineer » Logged
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2020, 11:00:54 »

Ideally  the Cotswold line should have been redoubled at least part way to Pershore. Worcestershire Parkway  High level then having two platforms.This would alow an Oxford bound train to clear Norton jn whilst waitng the single line. With the appropriate signalling i.e making the Cotswold lines bi-directional trains could be turned round from both directions

But that would have cost too much .
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2020, 12:36:11 »

Just to clarify.  To turn a train back in a signalled single line section where there is no signal provided at the reversing location generally requires PILOTMAN (or should that be PILOTPERSON) working.
Why not just pilot - oh I see it is used to mean a pilot engine. 
JontyMort

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2020, 13:12:06 »

Ideally  the Cotswold line should have been redoubled at least part way to Pershore. Worcestershire Parkway  High level then having two platforms.This would alow an Oxford bound train to clear Norton jn whilst waitng the single line. With the appropriate signalling i.e making the Cotswold lines bi-directional trains could be turned round from both directions

Specifically, by allowing an up train into Parkway even if it were going to be delayed there by a late-running train from Evesham, it would have made connections towards Cheltenham and Bristol much more resilient.

It certainly should have been re-doubled between Norton Junction and Parkway - a ridiculously short chainage. Talk about ships and ha’p’orths of tar.
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2020, 13:35:09 »

If it were controlled by modern signalling that might have been a fairly straightforward task, but could Norton Junction signalbox deal with the extra signalling needed?  An extra platform at Worcestershire Parkway, on a steep embankment, would also have costed quite a bit extra.

Possibly one for the future, though judging by the North Cotswold Line Taskforce's recent report, it is more likely that Evesham to Pershore will be redoubled rather than Norton Junction to Pershore.

JontyMort

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2020, 14:24:09 »

Possibly one for the future, though judging by the North Cotswold Line Taskforce's recent report, it is more likely that Evesham to Pershore will be redoubled rather than Norton Junction to Pershore.

Yes, I’ve seen the report. But isn’t there a problem with the up platform at Pershore - sold off or something?
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2020, 17:15:11 »

Yes, I’ve seen the report. But isn’t there a problem with the up platform at Pershore - sold off or something?

As I keep saying when these problems come up, there is always the PENRYN solution...... Grin
TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2020, 18:36:16 »

The land for the up platform at Pershore is still available but there is currently no access as the land behind the platform was sold off.
The current plan is to add a new car park on the up side at the east end of the station. A footbridge is available to link the car park but it is steps only no ramps or lifts.
Disabled parking would be on the existing small car park adjacent to the existing platform on the down side.

The problem with the task force proposal to double to just west of pershore is that there would then be a requirment to provide another footbridge with ramps or lifts.
Much cheaper to just keep the existing single platform and double to just east of the station.
No need for a passing loop so not realy a Penryn solution sorry S+TE
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2020, 19:11:13 »

The land for the up platform at Pershore is still available but there is currently no access as the land behind the platform was sold off.
The current plan is to add a new car park on the up side at the east end of the station. A footbridge is available to link the car park but it is steps only no ramps or lifts.
Disabled parking would be on the existing small car park adjacent to the existing platform on the down side.

The problem with the task force proposal to double to just west of pershore is that there would then be a requirment to provide another footbridge with ramps or lifts.
Much cheaper to just keep the existing single platform and double to just east of the station.
No need for a passing loop so not realy a Penryn solution sorry S+TE

Sorry, didn't make myself very clear.  No need to double track from Evesham, just install a PENRYN style passing loop at Pershore.  Much cheaper (at NR» (Network Rail - home page) prices) I would estimate.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2020, 10:36:51 »

As I keep saying when these problems come up, there is always the PENRYN solution...... Grin

Or the even simpler Bad Dobran solution where trians meet head to head on the single platform! Less signalling units but the ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) would never allow it. I've a video taken at another station on the line of two trains meeting head on.

i should say there is a point between the trains to take one round the other.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: