Short Run
15:50 Penzance to Gloucester
16:31 Barnstaple to Axminster
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 17:10:01 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[273] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[84] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[36] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[34] Signage - not making it easy ...
[7] IETs at Melksham
[6] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Melksham Station Set for Transformation  (Read 4938 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: April 28, 2020, 08:16:12 »

Press release form TransWilts and Knorr-Bremse

27 April 2020

Melksham Station Set for Transformation

Melksham Station is set to be transformed thanks to a new deal secured by TransWilts, the accredited Wiltshire Community Rail organisation dedicated to improving rail travel and community connectivity in and around Wiltshire.

The TransWilts organisation is already working with train operating company GWR (Great Western Railway), to improve the frequency and destination choice of services from Melksham station. Now TransWilts has secured a major three-year support package from Knorr-Bremse Rail Systems UK (United Kingdom), based in Melksham, which will help realise its ambitious improvement plans for the local station.

Master Plan

Working with GWR and Wiltshire Council, TransWilts has developed an ambitious and detailed Master Plan for the Melksham station site. Phase 1 of the Plan has received planning permission and includes new platform signage, destination indicators, increased parking, electric vehicle charging, cycle storage and even a community café! Phase 2 would see further improvements in the layout at the station including northern pedestrian access.

The driving force behind the initiative and TransWilts Chair, Paul Johnson, commenting on the new Knorr-Bremse support package said, "I’m delighted to have secured this three-year stakeholder partnership with Knorr-Bremse Rail Systems UK. TransWilts and GWR can now work together with a major local employer to transform the Melksham Station facilities. The Knorr-Bremse involvement is a great example of a company taking an innovative approach in support of its local community. The funding from Knorr-Bremse will underpin the substantial commitment TransWilts is undertaking to deliver to the people of Melksham, and visitors to the growing town, a station they can really enjoy using.”

The Managing Director of Knorr-Bremse Rail Systems UK, Paul Goodhand added, “We are proud to be associated with this local initiative and we believe it adds real value to the community and offers genuine potential for future growth.”

Melksham Station is set to be transformed by TransWilts with the support of Knorr-Bremse Rail Systems UK whose UK HQ (Headquarters) is based in the town.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 08:35:38 »

Now TransWilts has secured a major three-year support package from Knorr-Bremse Rail Systems UK (United Kingdom), based in Melksham, ... and even a community café!
Serving packet soup and noodles?  Wink

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Cava

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2020, 12:30:40 »

Now TransWilts has secured a major three-year support package from Knorr-Bremse Rail Systems UK (United Kingdom), based in Melksham, ... and even a community café!
Serving packet soup and noodles?  Wink

I would imagine one of the newly appointed TransWilts board members will be among the frontrunners to operate it, no doubt subject to a scrupulously fair, open and transparent tendering process.

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2020, 17:40:32 »

…….any plans for statues?  Wink
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2020, 18:27:40 »

Not that I'm aware of ... but stranger things have happened.   Over the years, all sorts of artwork has been seen in and around Melksham - we have some permanent structures:

And statues have been seen temporarily at the station:

and I guess no reason why "the driving force behind the initiative" should not be celebrated there in some way.  Early  days though - let's get the various works completed first. That's increased capacity with an hourly service, pedestrian access to the residential areas to the north and paths and cycle way to Melksham Forest, buses to and from the station connecting with trains, and passenger numbers up over 200,000 journeys per annum (aided by the new signage, parking, cafe, etc which are also very welcome indeed)

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2020, 18:43:39 »

When I saw the picture, my first thought was that it's a coronavirus nose-swabbing station ...
Cava

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2020, 18:45:28 »

Yes, they recently fitted them out, and are slated for a spot looking out over the fence of the "Northern pedestrian access" to an inaccessible McDonalds and a large slice of the newer housing...

Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2020, 18:54:40 »

When I saw the picture, my first thought was that it's a coronavirus nose-swabbing station ...

The TransWilts folks are certainly very much in favour of social distancing when it comes to users of Melksham Station.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2020, 19:00:29 »

Let's hope that the station has a service that befits the new improved facilities, preferably before the 10th anniversary of the original increase in frequency.

On that subject, when reading Modern Railways, I couldn't help but note the effect of filling in a few (but not all) of the two hourly gaps on the Cambrian line stations closest to Shrewsbury.  Both Newtown (pop 27,000) and Welshpool (pop 7,000) increased from around 120k to 180k entries and exits (each!) The effect was reduced further west, suggesting that the opportunities for commuter traffic into Shrewsbury drove the increase, though that is pure speculation on my part.  Still, shows what can be done with a few extra services to make a more attractive proposition for passengers.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 22:53:47 by Celestial » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2020, 13:30:08 »

On Monday, the press release above from TransWilts hailed "Melksham Station Set for Transformation" and quotes "The driving force behind the initiative and TransWilts Chair, Paul Johnson".  On Tuesday, their annual report for February 2019 to January 2020 was released in public, which includes Paul's full page "state of the nation" statement as its lead report, and includes the eye-catching graphic "Artist’s Impression of proposed redevelopment of Melksham Station" showing the same community cafe, piazza and paid parking area referenced in the press release. (Links at end of this post to both sources)

Various public comments have questioned (with some concern) elements of these reports and the activities they're reporting on, and I've had a couple of personal messages too. The concern is natural; any report or press release is bound to raise questions with interested parties. We are not helped at present by the cancellation - for totally understood reasons - of both the TransWilts AGM (Annual General Meeting) and the TransWilts Stakeholder meetings.

Provision of additional car parking, and a staffed (community) cafe where people can get a drink, a snack, a magazine, can ask questions and can wait in the warm if they need to is an excellent step as Melksham Station moves forward from the 3,000 passenger journeys a year in handled a decade ago through the 75,000 it handled last year and heads towards an envisaged 250,000 in a decade from now.

Having the additional parking and cafe included within a master plan helps to ensure that these enhancements will complement and not compromise other developments which may happen in parallel or later, and which may be equally or more important for traffic development:
   * Northern Access to Melksham Station
   * Service Reliability
   * Service Frequency; better connections and / or further destinations
   * Buses to connect with trains
Other elements (some of which are included in the current scheme) which also help:
   * Electric car charging points
   * Cycle Parking
   * Improved notices
   * Real time train departure board visible all along the platform
Most of these elements are none-trivial, and their championing and co-ordination requires rather more than part time amateur volunteer effort. So I very much welcome all the hard work done by the TransWilts team (and it is a team, even if Paul is highlighted in the press release). 

Although I was personally involved in the initial setup of the TransWilts CRP (Community Rail Partnership), it moved on a couple of year ago. "This is part of our restructuring to increase the future effectiveness of our CRP" said Paul when announcing my replacement. I am now just a member of the Community Interest Company. I only saw their press release and report earlier this week, just like those who have commented, but I do have the advantage of being somewhat in the picture from updates given to the Melksham Rail User Group (most recently on 22nd January) and from TransWilts inputs / presentations at council meetings (most recently 17th March).

Mention of the Melksham Rail User Group (MRUG» (Melksham Rail User Group - site)) (where I am vice chair) is important.  The TransWilts team (and it is a team, even if the press release singles out an individual) is looking at significant strategic (medium and long term) development, while MRUG is the "station friends" group. MRUG looks after station adoption and service promotion - encouraging people to use the train, producing Melksham specific literature and posters (and keeping them up to date), going around fetes and fairs and groups and organising surveys and trips like Santa, Weymouth, Seaton, Imber.   But MRUG is a much smaller scale operation - annual income and expenditure both around £1k, where TransWilts income was £86k last year, with running costs of £37k as well as £28k project expenditure which is expected to grow this year with the Melksham station works, and other works at Westbury and Chippenham. Remember they take in Swindon and Trowbridge too, and other activities include Devizes and Wilton.

Documents referred to in the above post:
MRUG report on 2019 / plans for 2020 of 3rd January 2020 (not foreseeing Coronavirus!)
TransWilts Press release of 27th April 2020
TransWilts Annual Report and Policy, Feb 19 to Jan 20 of 28th April 2020

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2020, 13:48:52 »

Let's hope that the station has a service that befits the new improved facilities, preferably before the 10th anniversary of the original increase in frequency.

On that subject, when reading Modern Railways, I couldn't help but note the effect of filling in a few (but not all) of the two hourly gaps on the Cambrian line stations closest to Shrewsbury.  Both Newtown (pop 27,000) and Welshpool (pop 7,000) increased from around 120k to 180k entries and exits (each!) The effect was reduced further west, suggesting that the opportunities for commuter traffic into Shrewsbury drove the increase, though that is pure speculation on my part.  Still, shows what can be done with a few extra services to make a more attractive proposition for passengers.

I would agree with you; the service rose from "un-usable for most people" to "usable but minimal" in 2013.   Current (or rather pre-virus) traffic was for the most part passengers who were robust enough to accept and use a 2 hourly or less service - who could travel out at 07:52 or 10:01 (northbound) even if 08:30 would have been idea, or at 06:36 or 09:09 (southbound) even if 08:00 was right.   And that robustness had elements of being a blessing in disguise because the traffic was robust against the appalling cancellation record of the last couple of years.

Take the service up to hourly and reliable, and you'll see traffic levels rise to be similar to Newtown - i.e. 185k journeys per annum (from the current-ish 75k) quite soon - and perhaps higher because you've got major passengers flows to nearer places than Shrewsbury.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2020, 17:59:55 »

from the Gazette and Herald

or rather

from this link at the Gazette and Herad

MELKSHAM railway station is set to be transformed thanks to a new deal secured by TransWilts, the Wiltshire community rail organisation dedicated to improving services and connectivity.

TransWilts is already working with train operator Great Western Railway to improve the frequency and destination choice of services from Melksham station.

The move follows a dramatic increase in passenger numbers in recent years as the town has expanded.

Now TransWilts has secured a major three-year financial support package from Melksham-based Knorr-Bremse Rail Systems UK (United Kingdom) which will help realise its ambitious improvement plans for the station.

Working with GWR (Great Western Railway) and Wiltshire Council, TransWilts has developed an ambitious and detailed master plan for the station site.

The first phase has already received planning permission and includes new platform signage, destination indicators, increased parking, electric vehicle charging, cycle storage and a community café.

Phase two would see further improvements in the station layout, including the northern pedestrian access.

TransWilts chairman, Paul Johnson said the financial support, details of which he declined to reveal, would underpin leasing agreements for the car park area.

Edit to change link
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 18:37:48 by grahame » Logged

Cava

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2020, 18:25:43 »

I was really surprised that this article didn't include any "driving force" references, and even struck a mildly critical "details of which he declined to reveal" note towards the end.

We need not have worried. The article has since been "corrected" with "driving force" reference now fully present and correct:

MELKSHAM railway station is set to be transformed thanks to a new deal secured by TransWilts, the Wiltshire community rail organisation dedicated to improving services and connectivity.

TransWilts is already working with train operator Great Western Railway to improve the frequency and destination choice of services from Melksham station.

The move follows a dramatic increase in passenger numbers in recent years as the town expands.

Now TransWilts has secured a major three-year financial support package from Knorr-Bremse Rail Systems UK (United Kingdom), based in Melksham, which will help realise its ambitious improvement plans for the station.

Working with GWR (Great Western Railway) and Wiltshire Council, TransWilts has developed an ambitious and detailed master plan for the station site.

The first phase has already received planning permission and includes new platform signage, destination indicators, increased parking, electric vehicle charging, cycle storage and a community café. Phase two would see further improvements in the station layout, including the northern pedestrian access.

TransWilts chairman, Paul Johnson, the driving force behind the initiative, said: “I’m delighted to have secured this three-year stakeholder partnership with Knorr-Bremse Rail Systems UK.

“TransWilts and GWR can now work together with a major local employer to transform the Melksham station facilities.

“The Knorr-Bremse involvement is a great example of a company taking an innovative approach in support of its local community.

“The funding from Knorr-Bremse will underpin the substantial commitment TransWilts is undertaking to deliver to the people of Melksham, and visitors to the growing town, a station they can really enjoy using,” Mr Johnson said.

Paul Goodhand, managing director of Knorr-Bremse Rail Systems UK, said: “We are proud to be associated with this local initiative.

"We believe it adds real value to the community and offers genuine potential for future growth.”

I guess that's the benefit of bringing a Marketing and Communications Manager onto your board!

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2020, 18:44:53 »

I was really surprised that this article didn't include any "driving force" references, and even struck a mildly critical "details of which he declined to reveal" note towards the end.

We need not have worried. The article has since been "corrected" with "driving force" reference now fully present and correct:

[snip]

I guess that's the benefit of bringing a Marketing and Communications Manager onto your board!

Actually - somewhat my error.  The Gazette and Herald has published two articles on the same topic as far as I can see, and my initial link was to one of them with the text of the other.  Both are now in my initial post and both article remained in place as I wrote this follow up.

I am suspecting two press releases involved, two journalists both working from home, and a case of left and right hand not knowing what the other is doing  Grin

Getting two sides on the same story is always informative.

Cava

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2020, 18:54:28 »

Grin

Nick Brailey, if you are reading this, my apologies for prematurely bigging you up!

I am sure there will be plenty of other opportunities in the future  Wink

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: