Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 14:55 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:13 Par to Newquay
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Short Run
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:57 Exmouth to Paignton
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 14:57:48 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Melksham Station Set for Transformation  (Read 4837 times)
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2020, 19:03:10 »

Speaking as someone who has compared their fair share of articles looking for informative quotes, this wouldn't be the first time this has happened, nor will it be the last.

It just goes to show that coordination is key, especially with stories like this  Cheesy

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Cava

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2020, 01:58:36 »

I was really surprised that this article didn't include any "driving force" references, and even struck a mildly critical "details of which he declined to reveal" note towards the end.

We need not have worried. The article has since been "corrected" with "driving force" reference now fully present and correct:

[snip]

I guess that's the benefit of bringing a Marketing and Communications Manager onto your board!

Actually - somewhat my error.  The Gazette and Herald has published two articles on the same topic as far as I can see, and my initial link was to one of them with the text of the other.  Both are now in my initial post and both article remained in place as I wrote this follow up.

I am suspecting two press releases involved, two journalists both working from home, and a case of left and right hand not knowing what the other is doing  Grin

Getting two sides on the same story is always informative.

I have now had a chance to properly compare the two articles, and I am afraid that the truth is closer to my theory than to yours.

This is because the two articles are almost identical in their wording apart from two aspects. Firstly the titles:

Melksham firm supports TransWilts railway station improvements

and

Knorr-Bremse Rail Systems UK (United Kingdom) gives financial backing to TransWilts

And secondly just one key paragraph is different in the main article:

TransWilts chairman, Paul Johnson, the driving force behind the initiative, said: “I’m delighted to have secured this three-year stakeholder partnership with Knorr-Bremse Rail Systems UK.

and

TransWilts chairman, Paul Johnson said the financial support, details of which he declined to reveal, would underpin leasing agreements for the car park area.

He added: “I’m delighted to have secured this three-year stakeholder partnership with Knorr-Bremse Rail Systems UK.

Apart from the above, the text of both articles is exactly the same, which strongly suggests that they were derived from the same press release, and not two press releases as you speculated. The one key difference in wording between the two makes the impression far less critical of TransWilts, also supporting my theory.

Also, the two articles were both written by the same journalist, John Baker, and not by two different journalists as you suspected in your post.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2020, 06:54:10 »

I have now had a chance to properly compare the two articles, and I am afraid that the truth is closer to my theory than to yours.

This is because ...

Maybe ...

Bottom line. 

Investment in Melksham station, good facilities that will help develop traffic further. Additional northern access, service reliability and increases and bus connection also needed in parallel and are very much on the radar and none-conflicting.

Press stories (theatre shows, etc) select a few key actors to highlight rather than the cast of thousands backing them up.  Nature of the beast, if you like.  So there are many, many heroes of getting Melksham Station to where it is today who do not feature in the current articles.  Personal note - I know many but I'm sure not all of them and if you / they are reading this - THANK YOU.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2020, 09:07:05 »

A success story that deserves to be rightfully celebrated,my congratulations to all involved with making the Transwilts and especially Melksham Station so improved.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: