Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 08:15 28 Mar 2024
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
- What contributed to the Baltimore Bridge collapse?
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:28 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
06:57 Swansea to London Paddington
07:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
07:38 Exeter St Davids to Okehampton
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
07:54 Looe to Liskeard
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:25 Okehampton to Exeter Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
08:30 Liskeard to Looe
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:05 Looe to Liskeard
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:18 Yeovil Pen Mill to Filton Abbey Wood
06:48 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
06:54 Taunton to London Paddington
07:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
07:25 Okehampton to Exeter Central
08:34 Exeter Central to Okehampton
09:35 Exeter Central to Okehampton
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:50 Penzance to Cardiff Central
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
05:23 London Paddington to Swansea
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
06:50 Westbury to Weymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 08:23:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[155] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[124] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[85] Return of the BRUTE?
[67] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[29] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 42
  Print  
Author Topic: Okehampton-Tavistock. Discussion on reopening and potential use as a diversionary route  (Read 268769 times)
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #495 on: November 29, 2017, 18:06:14 »

Westcountry news on itv this evening are discussing that the government are exploring a dawlish avoider, announced in Exeter this morning, most likely via Okehampton. An ‘expert’ says it will cost the equivalent of 2miles of HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) to restore Okehampton to Plymouth!

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #496 on: November 29, 2017, 18:46:34 »

Westcountry news on itv this evening are discussing that the government are exploring a dawlish avoider, announced in Exeter this morning, most likely via Okehampton. An ‘expert’ says it will cost the equivalent of 2miles of HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) to restore Okehampton to Plymouth!

HS2 mile equivalents is an excellent unit of measurement  Grin

This seems a sensible idea on the part of the government. Perhaps they could fast-track any consultations as elements have been looked at before AND it's in line with stated policy of re-opening Beechinged lines AND it would do so much for the area, AND it's at a cost of less that 5km of HS2 (that's the metric equivalent of HS2 miles!)

Full credit to the government in coming up with this excellent idea even if borrowed from elsewhere!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: December 01, 2017, 19:36:36 »

An interesting feature:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/dec/01/okehampton-residents-welcome-talk-of-reopening-railway-lines

[mods please merge if required]
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #498 on: December 02, 2017, 18:45:44 »

Thanks for posting, Umberleigh.  Wink

Purely in the interests of continuity and clarity, I've now moved and merged a couple of existing discussion topics here - all relating to Okehampton.

Hope this helps.  Smiley

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #499 on: December 21, 2017, 09:24:58 »

Okerail have posted the following on Facebook...

There are posters going up in Okehampton with misleading information regarding the trial.

1. The poster says the trial will start in 2018. This not accurate. No date has been set by DfT» (Department for Transport - about) yet. Talks are being had by them with GWR (Great Western Railway) as soon as we know a date we will say. In truth 2019 is more likely.

2. It says that there will be a 300 place park and ride. While there will be a car park, there has been no absolute commitment yet. 300 would be the absolute maximum but doesn’t allow for buses. A park and ride in the sense of those in cities, is not what is being looked at. Work is going on now relating to the New Parkway station and the car park. We will post about that when we can.

3. It also says that it will run through to Exeter Central. While this is an aspiration, at the moment there is no commitment. GWR are aware of the importance of Central as a destination and it is part of the discussions going forward.

4. Logos. None of the organisations have given permission for their logos to be used on this poster. I know for sure that DCC» (Devon County Council - website) are unhappy because of the misleading messages.

Why am I making a thing about this? DfT insist  on communities having the same focus. If there is any apparent dissenting within groups that are leading, that could stop discussions and the DfT could look elsewhere.

If anyone wants to discuss this further, drop me a message and I will happily do so.

Kev Ball.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #500 on: December 21, 2017, 10:00:49 »

Okerail have posted the following on Facebook...
Why am I making a thing about this? DfT» (Department for Transport - about) insist  on communities having the same focus. If there is any apparent dissenting within groups that are leading, that could stop discussions and the DfT could look elsewhere.

Requoting that to emphasise the importance of the community and groups speaking with a united voice; at stages where there are options to be chosen between (or indeed where input is requested for options), there will of course be a variety of views.   But then it's really up to community and groups to come together and present that united front, and perhaps to explain it to late-comer groups who may have their own suggestions that aren't compatible with the generally accepted view.

I suppose it's a bit like cabinet  of company director's responsibility - there may be occasions on a board where I don't feel 100% happy with the majority view / decision as being the best - but I will support it if it's not catastrophic.  And I would far rather deal with an organisation that's clear in its direction no matter who I talk to there if I'm going to be forming a long term official relationship with the organisation.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: January 31, 2018, 10:56:43 »

This link appeared on another forum yesterday. Is there any confirmation?

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/local-news/great-western-railway-ordered-start-1141088.amp
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #502 on: January 31, 2018, 11:04:19 »

This is what he said in his letter to MPs (Member of Parliament) (quoted in the piece) - 

"In a letter to Westcountry MPs, Mr Grayling wrote: “We have instructed GWR (Great Western Railway) to prepare plans to introduce regular train services to Okehampton, with the objective of securing a credible and costed plan for delivering an all-week, all-year train service between Exeter and Okehampton as soon as reasonably practicable."

To me, that is not actually giving the go ahead to introducing the service, rather, as said, calling for plans to be drawn up.   A very good step in the right direction but a lot further to go. 
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: January 31, 2018, 11:59:58 »

This bit caught my eye in the article (yes, I know its not the Okehampton route):

Mr Grayling said his department was reviewing the costs and business case for partial electrification and track alignment work between Totnes and Plymouth.

What's all that about then.... Roll Eyes
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: January 31, 2018, 12:29:06 »

If I remember correctly it has been suggested, possibly by the DfT» (Department for Transport - about), that it might be possible to electrify sections of the Devon banks to enable a better performance. Partial electrification was seen as an advantage of bimode use when the curtailment of GWR (Great Western Railway) electrification was announced. The Trans Pennine route is being looked at thus.

The realignment would help in improving line speeds.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: January 31, 2018, 12:56:45 »

Instructing GWR (Great Western Railway) to "draw up plans" was also effectively shown in the ITT (Invitation to Tender) for the 2012 franchise, in the form of a priced option.

This could still just be keeping the same old pot simmering on the back burner...

Paul

onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: January 31, 2018, 15:47:21 »

This bit caught my eye in the article (yes, I know its not the Okehampton route):

Mr Grayling said his department was reviewing the costs and business case for partial electrification and track alignment work between Totnes and Plymouth.

What's all that about then.... Roll Eyes

This suggests that DfT» (Department for Transport - about) are aware of the limitations of Bi-modes, i.e in climbing and fast running.

Totnes - Plymouth includes Rattery and Hemerdon banks but the wires would need to start at Newton Abbot to include Dainton, not to mention Whiteball.

A similar glimmer of sense appears to be in NR» (Network Rail - home page) now debating where the MML» (Midland Main Line. - about) wires should stop, as there are summits at Desborough, south of Market H and to the north at Kibworth. After Leicester the line is easily graded so Bi-modes would/might be satisfactory.

Why the steep Box and Middle Hill tunnels aren't wired ASAP defeats reason.

Exeter - Plymouth via Okehampton would be a terrific climb, 1/75 for 25 miles each way!

Get shovelling,

OTC
Oberon

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: January 31, 2018, 21:52:07 »

The sudden enthusiasm from Chris Grayling for trains to Okehampton, and the very sensible option of electrifying the South Devon banks, is the result of a group of south west Tory MPs (Member of Parliament) stating if the railway in the west doesn't receive its fair share of funding,  they will all refuse en bloc to support HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) when the crucial Commons vote comes.

I'm in favour of HS2 but I am even more in favour of our part of the world getting its dues in the railway funding stakes. So good for them!
Kernow Otter
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #508 on: February 01, 2018, 08:27:52 »

I wonder other projects a full and proper fair share of funding could help deliver ?
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #509 on: February 02, 2018, 23:36:24 »

I wonder other projects a full and proper fair share of funding could help deliver ?

Don't know, but I have been telling DUP MPs (Member of Parliament) what a good idea Filton Bank Four Tracking Now might be.

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 42
  Print  

Jump to: