Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 01/11/20 - Ashley Down Survey Closes
16/11/20 - TransWilts Stakeholders
18/11/20 - Melksham Rail User Group
21/11/20 - RailFuture Severnside Saltford
Random Image
Train Running Polls Acronyms/Abbreviations Station Comparator Rail news GWR co. site Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
October 26, 2020, 01:58:33 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most liked recent subjects
[115] Bristol Temple Meads Station redevelopment
[73] HS2 - Government proposals, alternative routes and general dis...
[54] Weymouth tramway-the final curtain?
[50] Great Western Railway: on-board catering, buffets, Travelling ...
[18] Worcestershire Parkway Station project - ongoing discussion
[15] Dick Wood from South Devon railway on BBC Spotlight
News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40]
  Print  
Author Topic: Okehampton-Tavistock. Discussion on reopening and potential use as a diversionary route  (Read 203306 times)
southwest

View Profile Email
« Reply #585 on: August 12, 2020, 03:46:07 pm »

A small update from Okehampton Times.

Work behind scenes on Okehampton rail service
Thursday, 30 July 2020 - Transport

Sarah Pitt
by Sarah Pitt - Senior Reporter

@okeytimes  sarah.pitt@okehampton-today.co.uk
AS a question mark continues to hang over the future of the Dartmoor Railway at Okehampton, Devon County Council has confirmed that work continues behind the scenes to bring a regular rail service back between the town and Exeter, writes Sarah Pitt.

The county council owns the station at Okehampton, which has been shut up since Dartmoor Railway went into administration in February.

It has confirmed that the Sunday Rover passenger service on summer Sundays from Okehampton to Exeter, subsidised by the county council, will not take place at all this summer.

However, the county council has said work continues on the long-awaited regular passenger service.

A spokesperson said: ‘Network Rail and GWR [Great Western Railway] are continuing to work in partnership to understand the feasibility of reopening the Okehampton line to regular passenger services, which has the potential to be funded by the Department for Transport’s ‘Restoring your Railway Fund’.

‘Surveys and further development work will continue throughout the summer, which will allow a funding application to be submitted. A decision on the outcome of this funding is expected by early 2021.’

If I remember rightly the Dartmoor Railway hardly own anything only a few locomotives and rolling stock? The railway is owned by Aggregates and the station by DCC.
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #586 on: August 12, 2020, 03:49:30 pm »

If I remember rightly the Dartmoor Railway hardly own anything only a few locomotives and rolling stock? The railway is owned by Aggregates and the station by DCC.

Yes, you're right.  Add the café equipment, tables etc too and tools and some maintenance equipment and that'll be about it.
trainbuff
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #587 on: August 12, 2020, 09:56:44 pm »

Admins if this is not suitable in this post please feel free to move.

Any subscribers to RAIL magazine who have received their copy might wonder about the possibility of reopening new services if you read the article by Christian Wolmar.

He talks of the current cost of running the railway, potential for 2nd wave of Coronavirus and impacts upon the railway. Passenger numbers at only 16-23% of what they were the same week last year. The cost to Government of £700m a month and plans to cut services in sparsely populated areas. Cornwall Branch lines are mentioned specifically as well as other areas.

Described as worst cuts since Beeching resulting in redundancies and service cuts, even to inter City services. There is much more in the full article but must provide some concerns at least.

As a railway worker myself, I hope none of this is true, but if it is I think ANY plans to reopen any rail lines would be in severe jeopardy.

This could put the railway back a considerable amopunt of time

Invest in Railways in Devon and Cornwall!
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #588 on: August 13, 2020, 12:28:08 am »

Any subscribers to RAIL magazine who have received their copy might wonder about the possibility of reopening new services if you read the article by Christian Wolmar.

He talks of the current cost of running the railway, potential for 2nd wave of Coronavirus and impacts upon the railway. Passenger numbers at only 16-23% of what they were the same week last year. The cost to Government of £700m a month and plans to cut services in sparsely populated areas. Cornwall Branch lines are mentioned specifically as well as other areas.

Described as worst cuts since Beeching resulting in redundancies and service cuts, even to inter City services. There is much more in the full article but must provide some concerns at least.

As a railway worker myself, I hope none of this is true, but if it is I think ANY plans to reopen any rail lines would be in severe jeopardy.

It's important to read Nigel Harris' editorial alongside this.  I think Nigel is more on the money than Christian.  We'll see where we go from here.  Nigel's point that the crunch could come 18 months from now sounds right. 
southwest

View Profile Email
« Reply #589 on: August 13, 2020, 06:20:41 pm »

The truth is we don't know what is going to happen in a years time, certainly things have changed. I do wonder if it will practical to have Crossrail service Paddington - Reading when GWR are already providing a good service to those lines with 387s.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #590 on: August 13, 2020, 07:22:39 pm »

Good subject, but I may indeed split it

The truth is we don't know what is going to happen in a years time, certainly things have changed. I do wonder if it will practical to have Crossrail service Paddington - Reading when GWR are already providing a good service to those lines with 387s.

Even a week is a long time in politics ... but a decades is but the blink of an eye when it comes to re-opening a railway via Okehampton and Tavistock, and it's interesting to look at how the two timescales interact.

Lots of unknowns at the moment ... from yesterday's presentation I did at http://melksh.am/cc

I wonder at what will be needed in the Thames Valley, but with so many trains available and just waiting to run at Old Oak, I suspect we would / will see them come into play.   If there are too many electric trains floating around, here, the 387s could migrate away or we could even get on and do some more electrification.   More of a political timescale on that with the climate agenda.  My presentation above suggested we should be looking at electrification to Warminster and Frome.

Coffee Shop Admin, Vice Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, and on the board of TravelWatch SouthWest.
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #591 on: September 06, 2020, 12:34:33 pm »

Due to Corona Virus we live in "Dark Days", the Railways are costing government a lot of money due to the lack of passengers and services are being (generally) kept up to roughly normal services, often with extra coaches to allow social distancing.

But the Corona Virus emergency is only TEMPORARY

Only 1 of 2 things can happen with Corona Virus,

One a Vaccine will be found and life can slowly return to a new normal. or
Two Corona Virus will slowly work it's way through the population, (quite quickly in the case of the USA) and life will return to the new normal.

The new normal will be much as pre-virus but many jobs will have been lost and MANY will work from home reducing Peak hour travel greatly, but remember per journey Season ticket holders generally have the Cheapest tickets. There may well be a change in rush hour train services.

But the Governments greatest task will be to get Britain working and the Economy back on track.

Construction is a great way to get things moving, well new offices won't be needed, to many working from home, New hospitals and Schools would help, New Electric (ONLY) vehicle Motorways are an idea, but building (rebuilding) railways and electrification of existing lines of would be a great way to get Britain working again.
And rebuilding the Waverley route back to Carlisle, Rebuilding the LSWR from Exeter to Plymouth, and a NEW railway from Okehampton to Launceston (electified) and on to the Cornish main line at Bodmin would be a good start.
southwest

View Profile Email
« Reply #592 on: September 11, 2020, 01:59:33 pm »

Due to Corona Virus we live in "Dark Days", the Railways are costing government a lot of money due to the lack of passengers and services are being (generally) kept up to roughly normal services, often with extra coaches to allow social distancing.

But the Corona Virus emergency is only TEMPORARY

Only 1 of 2 things can happen with Corona Virus,

One a Vaccine will be found and life can slowly return to a new normal. or
Two Corona Virus will slowly work it's way through the population, (quite quickly in the case of the USA) and life will return to the new normal.

The new normal will be much as pre-virus but many jobs will have been lost and MANY will work from home reducing Peak hour travel greatly, but remember per journey Season ticket holders generally have the Cheapest tickets. There may well be a change in rush hour train services.

But the Governments greatest task will be to get Britain working and the Economy back on track.

Construction is a great way to get things moving, well new offices won't be needed, to many working from home, New hospitals and Schools would help, New Electric (ONLY) vehicle Motorways are an idea, but building (rebuilding) railways and electrification of existing lines of would be a great way to get Britain working again.
And rebuilding the Waverley route back to Carlisle, Rebuilding the LSWR from Exeter to Plymouth, and a NEW railway from Okehampton to Launceston (electified) and on to the Cornish main line at Bodmin would be a good start.

There is no such thing as a 'new normal' it's just media speak to cause fear and panic. We didn't have a 'new normal' after the 2008 recession, nor after Swine Flu. Life changes as things evolve, tha's just general life.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40]
  Print  

Jump to: