Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 10:35 28 Mar 2024
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
* How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
07:20 Swansea to London Paddington
07:48 London Paddington to Swansea
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:23 Southampton Central to Bristol Temple Meads
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:05 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 10:45:54 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[109] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[75] Return of the BRUTE?
[59] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[26] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 42
  Print  
Author Topic: Okehampton-Tavistock. Discussion on reopening and potential use as a diversionary route  (Read 268778 times)
Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: February 09, 2014, 13:52:26 »

So one year after closing the line, the first rail replacement busses made an appearance? Take a bow, Dr Beeching.

The Teign Valley Line must have been a delightful route, but sadly development in Exeter and road schemes have surely made this a non-option. If you are going to have to start building new bits, then you may as well go the whole hog and build the DAL.

The Okehampton route is also devoid of development in comparison, is well engineered and could be fast. The assertion that Meldon viaduct is unsound has been thrown wide open, and starting too look like more dirty tactics by Beeching's crew. Also, we are talking a multi-million pound reopening, not a dozen volunteers with some donated sleepers and cast-off rail (no offence, preservationists!).

But, the Okehampton route would be expensive to maintain, and almost certainly be a burden on the taxpayer. It was and would be vulnerable to heavy snow: imagine the headlines if the new ^100 Million + link is closed the very first time it is needed as a diversionary route.

However, if and when Tavistock is a roaring success as it undoubtedly will be, then I can at least foresee Okehampton getting its services back. But I'm still dubious there would be sufficient traffic between the two to make a restored link viable, although I would be ecstatic to be proven wrong!

For the people of Starcross, Dawlish and Teignmouth to lose their rail link would be a tragedy, however the needs of an entire County and the largest city west of Bristol are greater. If one section of the sea wall can collapse, what about the rest? Just how sound is it after decades of battering by the sea? NR» (Network Rail - home page) certainly didn't see this coming. Difficult decisions will need to be made.

Teignmouth itself could have a shuttle service to Newton Abbot, especially given that the DAL would knock a few minutes off of the journey times compensate. Starcross is tiny and has a good bus service to Exeter (or even to a new station at Exminster). That just leaves Dawlish: I don't need to give you a list of the stations that lose their services during disruptions so that Dawlish can have an hourly service. As I said, difficult decisions.

If the Dawlish Avoiding Line were to be built then it throws into question the cost of maintaining a rail link to one small village and a minor town. Remember, over 90% of holidaymakers don't arrive by train. If disruption on this scale is to become a regular occurrence, then abandoning Dawlish would pay for the DAL in perhaps a decade or two.

*ducks for cover*
Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: February 09, 2014, 14:34:04 »

BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) piece that is actually more or less factually accurate for a change:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26068375
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: February 09, 2014, 14:54:38 »

So one year after closing the line, the first rail replacement busses made an appearance? Take a bow, Dr Beeching.

Given the way the wind was blowing at the time, Mrs Castle was right to shut the LSWR (London South Western Railway) route. There was no possibility of keeping both routes open in that climate, and the only place on the relevant section of the LSWR to completely lose its service was Tavistock (with a current population of just over 11,000). Over 100,000 would have lost their service if they'd shut the GW (Great Western) route.

If the Dawlish Avoiding Line were to be built then it throws into question the cost of maintaining a rail link to one small village and a minor town. Remember, over 90% of holidaymakers don't arrive by train. If disruption on this scale is to become a regular occurrence, then abandoning Dawlish would pay for the DAL in perhaps a decade or two.

*ducks for cover*

Dawlish and Teignmouth put together have a population of around 30,000. That's quite a lot of people to wipe off the rail map.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: February 09, 2014, 15:29:34 »

Dawlish and Teignmouth put together have a population of around 30,000. That's quite a lot of people to wipe off the rail map.

A Dawlish branch from Newton Abbot would reduce the cost and keep them with some connection.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: February 09, 2014, 15:55:06 »

A Dawlish branch from Newton Abbot would reduce the cost and keep them with some connection.

Well true; you could save even more by cutting it back to Teignmouth; more still by running a bus. To me that sounds a bit like Beeching-think.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
stebbo

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: February 09, 2014, 16:25:56 »

Light relief for a moment in this depressing debate - all of this leads me to remember my childhood days. Back in the late 1950s, when I were a young nipper, my mother used to take me down to Torquay in the summer on the Torbay Express - bound for Kingswear then - and King or Castle hauled. I well remember stopping at Dawlish on a hot sunny day and leaning out of the window to see the fireman shovelling furiously. A fast start with plenty of smoke and hot cinders would clear the beach of sunbathers in seconds flat, much to the merriment of the train crew. Grin
Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: February 09, 2014, 16:26:53 »

Given the way the wind was blowing at the time, Mrs Castle was right to shut the LSWR (London South Western Railway) route. There was no possibility of keeping both routes open in that climate, and the only place on the relevant section of the LSWR to completely lose its service was Tavistock (with a current population of just over 11,000). Over 100,000 would have lost their service if they'd shut the GW (Great Western) route.

*ducks for cover*

My proposal was to retain a shuttle service between Teignmouth and Newton Abbot, so only Dawlish would lose out.

I would very much hope this would never happen, however some experts are now predicting that the sea will win this battle (see above). If that is the case, then we need to look at the next best options
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: February 09, 2014, 22:54:41 »

Such experts are defeatist, and fail to see anything above the "small picture". Dawlish needs a lot of stone, a few thousand tonnes thereof, plus fixity (thank you RedSquirrel) solution to the ballast. Penzance has a lot of big rocks protecting the foreshore, some of which I slept on during my hippy days, thankfully without the weather intruding too much. Dawlish may need similar, but the sea may be too deep.

To my mind, the Dawlish sea wall and railway should be re-instated without delay as an emergency measure. An alternative route, be it Okehampton to Tavvy or the other inland route via Newton Abbot should be researched with equal urgency. And built.

Now, please!
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: February 10, 2014, 08:59:09 »

To my mind, the Dawlish sea wall and railway should be re-instated without delay as an emergency measure...

Is anyone, anywhere, suggesting it won't or can't be rebuilt to the condition it was in, or even better?   

I believe that the area breached was a predictably weak spot, and if it had been built to the same standards as most of the rest of the wall, with the path raised up alongside it rather than at the lower level, trains would be running now.

Some other posts have suggested it be made single track to allow for strengthening, and as someone else replied, the immediately obvious way of strengthening the weak section is to work on the outside.

In any case, it seems clear from the various photos that the area between the inner and outer walls had no structural strength - there may be far better engineering solutions, perhaps involving re-enforced concrete within the walls.

Paul
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #414 on: February 10, 2014, 10:27:18 »

To my mind, the Dawlish sea wall and railway should be re-instated without delay as an emergency measure...

Agreed!
there may be far better engineering solutions, perhaps involving re-enforced concrete within the walls.

Paul

Massed re-enforced concrete does seem to have remarkable strength. Look at the bunkers on the Atlantic wall and they are still trying to demolish the old Flak Towers in Vienna. The problem seems to be how do you anchor the slab to prevent the sea from washing away the material all around and leaving it  unsupported.
Andy

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: February 10, 2014, 11:32:40 »

To me, it seems that the way to proceed should be:
1) repair the wall & strengthen further if possible =>
2) reinstate Okehampton-Tavistock-Bere Alston, not just to provide a diversionary route when needed but also to reconnect Okehampton and Tavistock to the network and provide a railhead for North Cornwall & West Devon. =>
3) Plan for a Dawlish Avoiding Line to ensure that if/when the sea wall gives up the ghost, the South Devon & Torbay route is retained as well. 
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #416 on: February 10, 2014, 12:54:35 »

2) reinstate Okehampton-Tavistock-Bere Alston, not just to provide a diversionary route when needed but also to reconnect Okehampton and Tavistock to the network and provide a railhead for North Cornwall & West Devon. =>
3) Plan for a Dawlish Avoiding Line to ensure that if/when the sea wall gives up the ghost, the South Devon & Torbay route is retained as well. 

Agree 100% with the priviso that:

Exeter Plymouth via Okehampton to be double track 90 mph.
Avoiding line to be double track and 125 mph.
In addition redouble Castle Cary to Pinhoe throughout to provide Somerset levels avoiding route.
trainbuff
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: February 10, 2014, 15:01:56 »

Agree 100% with the priviso that:

Exeter Plymouth via Okehampton to be double track 90 mph.
Avoiding line to be double track and 125 mph.
In addition redouble Castle Cary to Pinhoe throughout to provide Somerset levels avoiding route.

Here here. The only reasonable solution! Both short, medium and long term. Lets just hope the same will, and money,  exists in a few months when the Dawlish line is reopened

Invest in Railways in Devon and Cornwall!
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: February 10, 2014, 18:12:55 »

Network Rail's commitment to the Dawlish line is reassuring. That news about the Okehampton route being the only other game in town seems a little hurried, so must have been under consideration for a while. "We sold the trackbed" isn't much of an excuse - they must have got money for it, although probably a fraction of what will be needed to buy it back. There are council offices built over part of the route, but given Devon County Council's and the local district council's enthusiasm for the line, that should not get in the way. There is some detail, a little dated now, here.

Now, please!
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #419 on: February 11, 2014, 16:30:00 »

All for 500,000 people? Hmmm. Maybe a selection of 2 out of 3. Unless they can access EU» (European Union - about) money for the other
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 42
  Print  

Jump to: