Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 10:55 28 Mar 2024
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
* How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Delayed
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
07:48 London Paddington to Swansea
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:23 Southampton Central to Bristol Temple Meads
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 10:57:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[182] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[70] Return of the BRUTE?
[56] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[44] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[24] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 42
  Print  
Author Topic: Okehampton-Tavistock. Discussion on reopening and potential use as a diversionary route  (Read 268779 times)
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2008, 17:29:34 »

Video link here too:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/newsid_7350000/newsid_7354800/7354854.stm?bw=bb&mp=wm&news=1&bbcws=1

Lets hope that Devon CC and FGW (First Great Western) can come to some arrangement regarding Summer Sunday services, but, of course, there would be no station facilities available (cafe, ticket counter) etc.

Does anyone know if any of the other local heritage lines (e.g. West Somerset or Bodmin & Wenford) are interested in running the line?

Believe there will be no plans for the summer sunday services. Many people then went on up to Meldon to walk across the viaduct.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2008, 18:48:32 »

When is a regular service from Oakhampton to Exeter (and preferable beyond) going to start?

It needs to
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2008, 23:05:36 »

A real shame, I've done the line once and it was very good, despite being very short!

I'm sure Jim will testify that they do a very good breakfast in that caf^!

Yep!

Cheers
Jim Smiley
AG's most famous quote "It'll be better next week"
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2008, 01:15:22 »

A real shame, I've done the line once and it was very good, despite being very short!

I'm sure Jim will testify that they do a very good breakfast in that caf^!

Yep!
It was a great buffet! FGW (First Great Western) could get some good PR (Public Relations) now by running the summer service of their own back!
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2008, 10:55:58 »

Donkey to Okehampton anybody  Wink
qwerty

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2008, 15:18:33 »

When is a regular service from Oakhampton to Exeter (and preferable beyond) going to start?

It needs to

My heart would love a regular Okehampton to Exeter service, but my head says it would be like tearing up tenners.

The station is poorly sited for the town at the top of a very steep hill (Yes I know it couldnt be anywhere else).
The A30 dual carriageway is a fast route to Exeter and beyond in about half the time it would take by rail. Sadly.

The only hope of a reopening would be as part of a through route.  There is a logic to the inland route if electrification was to happen.  Government policy is starting to shift that way again.

I've got 20 years till retirement but I dont think I'll see it in my working lifetime.

Btline

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2008, 16:40:19 »

The problem with having a service to Plymouth via Oakhampton, would be that trains would have to reverse. Sad
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2008, 17:32:31 »

I think people would use the Okehampton line for commuting etc, the Okehampton line is actually quite fast (line speed 60mph), lets not forget people going to college in Okehampton, and with a free bus link to the town.......... it could be done if the trains were extensions of some Exmouth and Waterloo services thus keeping cost's down.
qwerty

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2008, 16:33:09 »

I think people would use the Okehampton line for commuting etc, the Okehampton line is actually quite fast (line speed 60mph), lets not forget people going to college in Okehampton, and with a free bus link to the town.......... it could be done if the trains were extensions of some Exmouth and Waterloo services thus keeping cost's down.

There are also some very long sections of 40 mph.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2008, 17:26:13 »

Those sections need eliminating!
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2008, 18:49:21 »

I believe that those sections only apply to Loco's? units are near 60 all the way??
station road oke

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2008, 20:52:09 »

Hi, I know little about railways but live very close to Dartmoor Railway and have very little info! Does anyone know how all this works? Who actually owns the track? Bardon Aggregates are still running over it so it must be maintained ( certified safe)? It did provide very usefull facilities for the Granite Way (cycle route) such as bike hire, parking and buffet. Even being closed a couple of days has made a difference. Trust me Oke needs all the good input it can get, so regardless of a commuter line strategy, as a tourist attraction it should be open. As lately as last week they were advertising for buffet staff!! Work that one out. To be fair it did state " 'till the end of April in the short term". I can't find out who the interested parties are or how much they want for what exactly.
Any input gratefully received.
Marc
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2008, 21:39:54 »

Hi, Marc, and welcome to this forum!

I'm a fan of Okehampton, too - but I agree, things don't look too promising, in the short term?

Can anyone help us with more information on this one?

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
oooooo

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2008, 21:44:16 »

The line from Coleford divergence (where it leaves the Barny branch) is indeed owned by the quarry company, was CAMAS, now Bardon? They are responsible for the maintenance I believe....
Tinminer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2008, 14:00:52 »

There is a meeting to discuss the future of the Dartmoor Railway tomorrow night:

Friends & Volunteers meeting, Tuesday April 22nd
There will be a meeting for volunteers and friends on Tuesday April 22nd at 7.30 pm at Fairplace Church, Okehampton (opposite the Post Office) to explore possible ways forward.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 42
  Print  

Jump to: