27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 24th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 24, 2024, 01:46:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[228] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[101] You see all sorts on the bus.
[97] "Mayflower"
[91] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[61] Death of another bus station?
[36] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 42
  Print  
Author Topic: Okehampton-Tavistock. Discussion on reopening and potential use as a diversionary route  (Read 270841 times)
oooooo

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2008, 21:28:30 »

Statt Travel IS valid on OKE services  Grin
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2008, 21:43:37 »

About time!
devonian

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2008, 22:25:03 »

All good news!

Will be supporting it for sure  Smiley
signalandtelegraph
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2008, 22:30:24 »

Statt Travel IS valid on OKE services  Grin

Presumably beacuse its effectively an FGW (First Great Western) service not sponsored by the council?  ATOC» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here) website still says services are barred? Undecided

Bring back BR (British Rail(ways))
signalandtelegraph
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 22, 2008, 22:32:23 »

Any ideas why Okehampton line doesn't appear on the county council website for the Dartmoor Rover?

http://www.devon.gov.uk/index/transport/public_transport/buses/services-4/sunday-rover.htm

Although according to DCC» (Devon County Council - website), Wessex still exist and operate so.....

Thats the link for the winter rover Wink

Bring back BR (British Rail(ways))
qwerty

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2008, 10:57:08 »

One of the EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains) conductors reckoned to have taken over 400 quid on the Okehampton yesterday.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2008, 11:00:48 »

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 26, 2008, 22:19:23 »

Interesting to hear of yesterday's takings.

The service is still chartered by Devon County Council but, given the changes at Dartmoor Railway,  they are paying a bit less this year with FGW (First Great Western) collecting and keeping the ticket revenue.

Fingers crossed this proves to be a sustainable way forward for the future but everything will depend on Dartmoor Railway's new owners, whoever they may be.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 26, 2008, 23:10:05 »

I think the excellent thing this year is that normal tickets are valid.
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #69 on: July 24, 2008, 11:42:54 »

hi, im new to this site so go easy on me but it seems to me that the okehampton line is not only an important tool for improving the southwests rail network (alternative to plymouth and also provide better public transport to okehampton a growing town,would also increase the frequency of trains to crediton if a regular service was introduced).

but it would also i belive prove to be a great investment for normal people if this became there line granted at the start it would be a slow hog and the first chalenge would just be getting trains running again, but if 2000 locals and railways enfusiasts invested ^10 each just to be a part of it then thats ^20000,now thats not going to get the line doubled or rebuilt to tavistock and its not going to buy a brand new state of the art dmu,but it would get us a start and i belive if we all work together we can do this (even if it starts with class 142's!)

how much is the line going to be worth if it becomes the secondary route into cornwall?

how much is the line going to be worth if we get 50% of the people who live in credition and okehampton who go by bus to use the link insted

lets not forget the 20000 who vistited the line last year

i would be willing to invest a tenner....1999 voulenteers please......oh and some people with brains to run it lol unfortunatly thats not me
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: July 24, 2008, 12:32:51 »

Welcome to the forum, relex109

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877

View Profile Email
« Reply #71 on: July 25, 2008, 01:45:07 »

thankyou, i will try and put more effort into my spelling on future posts

View Profile Email
« Reply #72 on: July 29, 2008, 00:11:21 »

i dont see any voulenteers for my plan
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #73 on: July 29, 2008, 00:40:51 »

Hi, relex109!

Please don't be downhearted over the lack of replies so far.  It may be that our members are just not quite clear about your specific objectives here?

The link from Crediton to Okehampton I can see could be viable, and you have my best wishes for that!  Do you have any figures for possible passenger flows?

I'm also interested in your suggestion about doubling, and even restoring the connection to Tavistock, but I'm sorry, I can't see that as viable.  It's hard enough for those who are already campaigning for the extension from Gunnislake to Tavistock - which is apparently beset by political, as well as financial, obstacles?

To be honest, relex109, I'd be delighted to volunteer you my ^10 - but I'd like to know a bit more about what you are proposing to do with it?

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 29, 2008, 00:44:37 »

I have been impressed with the loads i've seen so far for St. James--Okehampton on Sundays.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 42
  Print  

Jump to: